This discussion is closed.
bellacoco
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What are the average fees for british citizens at uk universities?
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bellacoco)
What are the average fees for british citizens at uk universities?
£1,100 a year at the moment. Going up to £3,000 in 2006
bellacoco
wow, that's cheap. I paid $26,000 a year here in the states
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bellacoco)
wow, that's cheap. I paid $26,000 a year here in the states
whoa that's a lot! glad I'm not American!
ylime
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, that's part of the reason I'm looking at British unis. Even the 8000 pounds/year for overseas students beats the $40k that I'd pay for tuition here.
bellacoco
where are you aplying to?
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ylime)
Yeah, that's part of the reason I'm looking at British unis. Even the 8000 pounds/year for overseas students beats the $40k that I'd pay for tuition here.
Hey I've been to New Jersey! (Just thought I'd point that out!)
ylime
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm a junior now - looking at Dartmouth, Middlebury, Amherst, Williams and such places here (will sort out the exact list over spring break I think); and Cambridge, Warwick, maybe Exeter and Durham in the UK. I'm an IB diploma student.
bellacoco
what do you wish to study?
ylime
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
German. I'd start another language too, probably Italian or Russian.

And you?
bellacoco
Law. I was a foreign langauge major as an undergrad. I studied spanish, italian, german, and portuguese. You'll love doing language in college.
princessa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
£1100 is not the average, its the maximum, which is what you would pay if your parents earn over something in the region of £36000, not sure of the exact numbers. the less they earn, the less they pay, calculated on a sliding scale. if they earn under around £20000, you pay nothing at all.

i think £3000 will be the maximum when the new fee system is introduced.
alio~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by princessa)
£1100 is not the average, its the maximum, which is what you would pay if your parents earn over something in the region of £36000, not sure of the exact numbers. the less they earn, the less they pay, calculated on a sliding scale. if they earn under around £20000, you pay nothing at all.

i think £3000 will be the maximum when the new fee system is introduced.
what? im paying £1250 and thats at a unpopular uni :confused:
btw if say our 2 last years start in 2006 will the 3000 apply to us?

i don't see the point in putting the fees up since a lot will get it paid by the LEA anyway like now
princessa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah maybe £1250 is the maximum now, it goes up each year with inflation. you are probably in the top bracket or applied for non means tested support. the fees are the same regardless of which uni you go to or course you are doing, but i think this will change with the new system.

I think im right in saying that if you have started your course already, you will pay the same fee system throughout your degree. the new top up fee will only apply to those starting their course in 2006, which is why people didnt want to put off applying and rather wanted to secure a place and defer entry. so, if you are already on your course, you will only pay the old fees, not the new top up fees. i think this is right, but it should say moe on the dfes website, thou this is crap.
tdg1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If youre paying £1250 then theres something very wrong! The maximum that they can charge you is £1150. And then it depends on your parents earnings as to how much you actually have to pay. But you definitely cannot pay £1250 this year (dunno bout next year tho)
Clodagh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can you pay the £3000 upfront if you want? or is it automatically deferred?
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wouldn't Bellacoco have international fee status?

I don't know what that means she'll be paying, but it bumps it up a fair bit.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
Wouldn't Bellacoco have international fee status?

I don't know what that means she'll be paying, but it bumps it up a fair bit.
daresay they can afford them..ahem..

(Original post by Bellacoco in GC, pondering where to live)
let's put it this way... I can spend up to 600 pounds per wk for rent. I want to live in the best area.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
30k a year renting a house? What world is this person in?!
Taldarion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
For what it's worth - british citizenship doesn't have any bearing on which level of fee you pay - it's all based on whether or not you have been ordninarily resident in the UK or EEC for the 3 years prior to the start of your course for purposes other than to attand an educational institution.

If you're a british citizen but living abroad (outside of the EEC) then it's very unlikely you will be eligible to pay home fee rates, you're most likely to have to pay the full fee chargable to international students.

quite a few exceptions to that rule. I've lived in the middle east for almost 5 years now, but lived in the uk all my life before that, and have a house there. Because my dad's on a short tern contract (a one year contract that gets renewed every year) i'm eligable for home status at uni. A few of them did give me international status to begin with, but i just called them up, said that we wanted to question this, and they sent us forms to fill and they soon changed their minds which was very lucky!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads