Edinburgh.. Grrrrr You *******s Rejecting Me Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Yeah I'm in Bucks, which I know is nowhere near Liverpool! I suppose Exeter will be quite a way for you.
Yeah it's a good seven hours away!
hallucination
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Yeah it's a good seven hours away!
Edinburgh rejected me too so you're not alone! And this is even post-results, after achieving AAA.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovemonkeys)
Edinburgh rejected me too so you're not alone! And this is even post-results, after achieving AAA.
Ah, gutted for you as well! I am a bit pissed off to be fair, cos I so wanted to go. But Leeds has a great reputation, and I know Nottingham is an excellent uni too
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
come to exeter its lovely!
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)
come to exeter its lovely!
Oooo - to the shoutbox immediately!! *goes to the shoutbox*
rachplatt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't believe they made me wait so bloody long, only to reject me! It's disgusting. I bet they do choose Scottish people first, then give the places out to whoever is left
I hope u and Dan get offers, though! Go Rach! :cool:
I think they must sort out all the Scottish applicants before they even consider us...it's not fair, but I guess we kind've knew that before we applied. I'm not holding out much hope, I'll stick with York (or Durham if they bother to give me an offer!) for now! I'll let you know if I hear anything though (or Dan will). Good luck with the open days, Rach x
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rachplatt)
I think they must sort out all the Scottish applicants before they even consider us...it's not fair, but I guess we kind've knew that before we applied.
That is not true.
hazzie1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh no, if they rejected a post qualification applicant with three As, there gonna reject me. I don't know if I can take being rejected again, I might just have to give up, I have 2 offers that could be my firm and insurance.
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hazzie1)
oh no, if they rejected a post qualification applicant with three As, there gonna reject me. I don't know if I can take being rejected again, I might just have to give up, I have 2 offers that could be my firm and insurance.
Well in all honesty they asked for an A level I didn't have (Maths) but I applied anyway so was expecting to get rejected. Be optimistic!!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Top choice. I've got five offers, edinburgh was my top choice and they rejected me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Unfortunate; applying to university can be a cruel game it seems.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
Unfortunate; applying to university can be a cruel game it seems.
scumbags. Hope their university burns down!
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
scumbags. Hope their university burns down!
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rachplatt)
I think they must sort out all the Scottish applicants before they even consider us...it's not fair, but I guess we kind've knew that before we applied.
Nothing wrong with that. Its a Scottish University therefore Scottish students should get priority. Its like when we go down south we get screwed by all English Unis. They expect us to get AAA in AH etc when our Higher Results e.g. AAAAB or AAAAA have the same value in UCAS Points to your A-Levels, thats unfair: we end up with 600/700 Ucas Points while you's have 300/400.

Also, Edinburgh accepts students on there socio-economic background before anything else.
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)

Also, Edinburgh accepts students on there socio-economic background before anything else.
:hahaha: No they don't.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes they do. They check the postcodes/backgrounds of the applicants and those lower in the Social Economic categories get in first.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nothing wrong with that. Its a Scottish University therefore Scottish students should get priority. Its like when we go down south we get screwed by all English Unis. They expect us to get AAA in AH etc when our Higher Results e.g. AAAAB or AAAAA have the same value in UCAS Points to your A-Levels, thats unfair: we end up with 600/700 Ucas Points while you's have 300/400.

Highers are not equivalent to A-Levels. UCAS Points mean almost nothing. That final statement is frankly ridiculous.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Highers are not equivalent to A-Levels. UCAS Points mean almost nothing. That final statement is frankly ridiculous.
2nded.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, a friend of mine attends a Private School and they were told that Edinburgh admit people from lower social-economic backgrounds first and she was concernced that she wouldn't get in because of her Private School education.

As for me, I was accepted in December. Could that be done to my social-economic background ;-)

And the Highers, don't get me started. Scottish students are at a massive disadvantage applying to English Unis. They are wanting AAA in AH for Subjects like Maths, Sciences, French etc when you's can get in with subjects like General Studies, Media Studies etc etc. Also, its been found that it is becoming increasingly easier to get A's in A-Levels.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And the Highers, don't get me started. Scottish students are at a massive disadvantage applying to English Unis. They are wanting AAA in AH for Subjects like Maths, Sciences, French etc when you's can get in with subjects like General Studies, Media Studies etc etc. Also, its been found that it is becoming increasingly easier to get A's in A-Levels.
Agreed. Some of the respective requirements are absolutely hilarious. For example i quite often see a course requiring ABB at A-Level which is about equivalent to ABBBB at Higher but they want AAAAB, which is closer to AAA in itself, AND Advanced Higher Grades similiar to their A-Level requirements - how often do you see a course stating you need AAAAB at AS as well as ABB at A2?(Although even this wouldnt be equivalent as AS is worth less than Higher) Its totally ridiculous.
Bilal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, a friend of mine attends a Private School and they were told that Edinburgh admit people from lower social-economic backgrounds first and she was concernced that she wouldn't get in because of her Private School education.
Once again: :hahaha:. They don't admit people just because they have lower social - economic background. They do it on your Highers and probably on your p.s and reference. Why did my friends get rejected from Edinburgh, when they attend a ****ty state school? Because their Highers were frankly crap. They do run a Leaps scheme though, which provides help with the admission process, but not all people attending state schools are eligible for this.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads