Oxbridge: Play the game, win a place

Watch
This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My interview was none of this thinking on feet/arguing a case stuff. Whilst my many mock interviews were, my real one seemed to be a case of "you any good at Maths then? Right. Do this."
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
My interview was none of this thinking on feet/arguing a case stuff. Whilst my many mock interviews were, my real one seemed to be a case of "you any good at Maths then? Right. Do this."
Mine was a bit like that? Did you apply for maths? Cos mine was engineering.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
I think it's a bit arrogant to just totally dismiss anyone who doesn't get into Oxbridge as not good enough, because if you're good enough to get the interview you definetely have the potential to get in. Being able to put forward a good argument will get you in, which is what the book is saying. The book also tells you to act naturally, how to dress, and how to approach the admission tutor. Why is that rubbish?? Surely these are questions that everyone who goes for the interview thinks about and these questions put people off trying for Oxbridge. You got in to Oxford, are you telling me you didn't practice the interview, speak to people who do the same course as you in oxford or prepare yourself as far as dress code went? I don't think so buddy, you played the game too (i know that's a stupid way of phrasing "doing some research"). You would play the same "game" if you were going for a job interview.

So what is wrong with putting the answers in a book if it helps people forget the old ideas about class and elitism, and helps them do the best they can for themselves. The only problem is that the book is a waste of money because you could just find out the answers yourself, but if your willing to pay then I don't see anything wrong with it.
very well put. I don't think it's a waste of money though. It saves quite a lot of time for someone who wouldnt know where to start (or have enough time) to do the research.
legalbeagle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Surfing hamster, I too was at Clare a few days ago for a law interview.

Is anyone dealing with a sure instinct that they have been rejected? It's a nasty situation.......I just want the rejection letter to come now so I can get some closure instead of three weeks away....why must they delay it?!!
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I picked this book up very cheaply secondhand (I would never have paid £11 for it), and I don't rate it that highly. I would agree with Mentally Ill about the shocking typos, there are loads and are really annoying, the book was clearly rushed out to sell to people applying this year.

It is designed to be read by the parents of applicants from schools without a tradition of sending pupils to Oxbridge. It contains some silly generalisations and exaggerations, for example claiming that Christ Church Oxford and St John's Cambridge are inarguably the most beautiful colleges at each university.

The book perpetuates myths about the supposedly huge amount of preparation and spoonfeeding independent schools give their Oxbridge candidates (mine organised one mock interview and that was about it), and also about schools having special links to Oxbridge.

There is also a clear exaggeration of the importance of extra-curricular activities in Oxbridge applications: almost all the people I have heard on the subject (all in positions of knowledge) have said that they aren't particularly important.

She has the odd style of interchangeably using the masculine and feminine pronoun, but you do get used to it. Also she advises that people apply for a less competitive course, and ask to change upon arriving at the university, which is surely a slightly immoral way of getting into the most competitive courses.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by legalbeagle)
Surfing hamster, I too was at Clare a few days ago for a law interview.

Is anyone dealing with a sure instinct that they have been rejected? It's a nasty situation.......I just want the rejection letter to come now so I can get some closure instead of three weeks away....why must they delay it?!!
Also at Clare a few days ago, same.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Also she advises that people apply for a less competitive course, and ask to change upon arriving at the university, which is surely a slightly immoral way of getting into the most competitive courses.
And also taking a bit of a gamble - there's no guarantee it'll work. Oh, and if you ask me, there are a lot of colleges that are prettier than John's - don't suppose she remembered to mention that everybody else hates John's?!?

Loads of people applying to Clare! Great taste, everybody Wonder if anyone's used my room....?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
And also taking a bit of a gamble - there's no guarantee it'll work. Oh, and if you ask me, there are a lot of colleges that are prettier than John's - don't suppose she remembered to mention that everybody else hates John's?!?

Loads of people applying to Clare! Great taste, everybody Wonder if anyone's used my room....?
I was in J11, anywhere near there? :P
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Loads of people applying to Clare!
Loads of people from my school and other schools in the area seem to apply to Clare.
legalbeagle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Has anybody any idea how many people applied for law at Clare? I was there on Tues 9th and there seemed to be loads, although there were only 5 people doing the exam at the 3 o'clock session. How did everyone get on in their interviews? I made so many mistakes, and I'm dreading the letter.
I was in J5.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by legalbeagle)
Has anybody any idea how many people applied for law at Clare? I was there on Tues 9th and there seemed to be loads, although there were only 5 people doing the exam at the 3 o'clock session. How did everyone get on in their interviews? I made so many mistakes, and I'm dreading the letter.
I was in J5.
I know the person who was in J6 on Monday if that helps, he was doing Law :P
legalbeagle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, the person next door to me seemed to have a northern irish accent. How did their interviews go?

And does anybody have any idea how many people applied for law there?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
Yes. Where at? (Sorry didn't notice this reply until just now)
Igor
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Were there none there? I met a few in the Trinity JCR on the night after my interview...
Hey, when were you in Trinity's JCR? I was there on the night of 8 December... what do you think about it anyway? I think it's quite nice, there's a lot of space. but I haven't seen any other JCRs in the university so I can't really compare...
hell manager
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
i ve applied engineering @ cam as well' which college hav u applied for? and how was your interview?
theone
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Igor)
Hey, when were you in Trinity's JCR? I was there on the night of 8 December... what do you think about it anyway? I think it's quite nice, there's a lot of space. but I haven't seen any other JCRs in the university so I can't really compare...
I was in on the 9th. I think it's quite nice, but I can see it being quite crowded when all the students are in college. I think it's nice though, and well priced as you'd expect!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I know the person who was in J6 on Monday if that helps, he was doing Law :P
Bizarrely, I don't actually know anyone who lives on J! No idea why - people must live there, I've just no idea who...

Oh, and re. Trinity's JCR - it's nice enough, but when you consider the size of the college, it really is a little small - I've been in there when it's too crowded to move, and as an outsider, it's certainly a little intimidating!
Hells Bells
Report 17 years ago
Hey
Was in Clare the night of the 9th, stayed in J9, Ashby court i think. went out with a couple of current students to the nearest pub, seemed to be a disturbingly long walk lol!!!
Didn't see JCR what's it like??
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, it's a few minutes to the nearest pub, but when you do get there, there are lots of them! The JCR is under the chapel, in the old crypt. The bar is student run and it's great!

Who did you go out with then? Or too drunk to remember?
Hells Bells
Report 17 years ago
Andy, 2nd year NatSci, and Phil who was philosophy i think but a bit older.
not too drunk to remember but had a great time hope to be coming back next year !!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (43)
23.24%
Unhappy (52)
28.11%
Conflicted (90)
48.65%

Watched Threads