Watch
This discussion is closed.
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hell manager)
i ve applied engineering @ cam as well' which college hav u applied for? and how was your interview?
St cat's and it wasnt too bad, but i dont think i gave them the best impression of my maths skills, I was slower than I'd usually be, and also I did **** in further maths last year. Which college did you go for and how was your interview?
hell manager
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
St cat's and it wasnt too bad, but i dont think i gave them the best impression of my maths skills, I was slower than I'd usually be, and also I did **** in further maths last year. Which college did you go for and how was your interview?
for god's sake you ve replied my post and i had my interview at cats as well!!!also, as far as the posts here are concerned there r too few people applied for engineering! did u have the telescope thing to read first as well? who interviewed u?when was ur interview?did u apply4 open application?
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
one of my best m8s applied to clare for medicine. She really enjoyed the interviews, they through an egg at her in the 2nd one! she's so in
hell manager
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
my interview was actually better than i thought it would be. i thought they were gonna ask me horrible questions to catch me out.i ve just realized that i said something really stupid in the general interview.dont know if that is important. the academic one was alright. i got stuck for a couple of times but still got the right answers after being prompted by the interviewer. so not sure if that was a good sign. i talked to some of the seniors be4 the interview and they were really nice people so i really liked there. i really hope i can get in!!!!!!!!!i ve been worrying since i ve walked out of my last interview!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
one of my best m8s applied to clare for medicine. She really enjoyed the interviews, they through an egg at her in the 2nd one! she's so in
Yeah, apparently in last year's interviews they threw a can of beans to a couple of them and a banana to the others, and they had to talk about them for a minute (random or what?!?) It doesn't matter whether or not she caught it though - unlike some old Oxbridge rumours...
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I had originally decided to apply to Cambridge (Fitzwilliam college)-my cousin went there + peeps from our school etc etc ...went to an Open Day on Sep 6th and was talked to By Dr. Horrox...we had lunch together...was nervous and poured myself some water..WITHOUT OFFERING HER ANY...she took the jug off me and stood up asking whether anyone else on the table would like some water.....

I decided i couldnt bear to go there, switched to Oxford...chose Pembroke..and got a place...hehe....am glad i lack manners!!
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
for god's sake you ve replied my post and i had my interview at cats as well!!!also, as far as the posts here are concerned there r too few people applied for engineering! did u have the telescope thing to read first as well? who interviewed u?when was ur interview?did u apply4 open application?
is cats oxxford or cambridge?
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
is cats oxxford or cambridge?
theres a st. catherines at both
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
theres a st. catherines at both
No -- St Catherine's Oxford, St Catharine's Cam

Sorry being ridiculously pedantic there....
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Yeah, apparently in last year's interviews they threw a can of beans to a couple of them and a banana to the others, and they had to talk about them for a minute (random or what?!?) It doesn't matter whether or not she caught it though - unlike some old Oxbridge rumours...
That happened to my friend this time...the bean thing. One word: WHY?!
grace123
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Sounds like a ***** who didn't get in, went to a shithole state school in the middle of a council estate and is a bitter twisted old tart. Of course their is a game to play in the interview, if you don't have the intellectual capacity to provide stimulating, witty conversation at that level i.e. your not even smart enough for the parties, then how are you going to cope with the degree?
(this was a reply to the review of the book on entering oxbridge!!!)
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wow! There are definitely not enough engineering students, more arts students (Obviously the arts students all have too much time on their hands...!)

I applied to st cats because people from my school had been there in the past and said it was really friendly. My interviews were 12.30 with dr little and 2.00 with dr drummond and some other guy (cant remember his name) on thurs december 11th. And yeah I had the telescope thing, most of my 2nd interview was based around the 2nd question on the sheet (the mathematical model for how mirror smoothness affects telescope performance, really fascinating stuff!) When were yours?
hell manager
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Wow! There are definitely not enough engineering students, more arts students (Obviously the arts students all have too much time on their hands...!)

I applied to st cats because people from my school had been there in the past and said it was really friendly. My interviews were 12.30 with dr little and 2.00 with dr drummond and some other guy (cant remember his name) on thurs december 11th. And yeah I had the telescope thing, most of my 2nd interview was based around the 2nd question on the sheet (the mathematical model for how mirror smoothness affects telescope performance, really fascinating stuff!) When were yours?
i had exactly the same interviewers! mine was on the 5th, quite early isnt it? i found the people there being really friendly as well. what subjects did u do at a levels?and wat did u get?
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i had exactly the same interviewers! mine was on the 5th, quite early isnt it? i found the people there being really friendly as well. what subjects did u do at a levels?and wat did u get?
AS level: maths (270)
Physics (277)
Biology (277)
Economics (294)

They asked me about why maths was lower than the others (had to take discrete instead of mechanics, had to explain to the interviewer why i found it so difficult, the reason being that it was all about memorising algorithms) They also gave me some grief about not doing further maths (its only taught to AS-level at my school, am doing it in the summer)
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
I had breakfast with a History interviewer the morning of my Law interview. I was trying so hard not to splash myself with milk and drop rice crispies down my front! I don't think it's normal for interviewers to eat in the butteries, though, as dinner is served for them in halls (well, that was the case at Clare yesterday).
Yeah, you'll get used to talking to the fellows though. At Clare all first years get invited to have wine and cheese with the master and fellows at some point during their first year, I arrived 5 minutes late but was the first there and talked to a fellow and the master about politics and tony blair for 10mins or so.... which was actually rather less intimidating than you might think - in fact it was quite fun!
The fellows normally eat segregated away on the top table in Hall at dinner time, but in hall at lunchtime they frequently will come and sit on the lower tables and talk to you.
A lot of fellows spend the majority of their time in the faculty, so it's probably novel for them to actually be in college at breakfast time, so they probably just wanted their catered meal. As for the chat, they were probably just trying to calm your nerves and being friendly - the effect was probably the opposite though!!

I asked him what counted most: interviews or tests - he said they all count equally.
I'm informed that at least in natural sciences they have a points system, so indeed there may be not very much uncertainty in his answer. I think Clare think quite highly of their in-college tests though, especially in natsci.
I think it helped me that I explained where I'd gone wrong on my physics test to the interviewer afterwards, since I'd figured it out by then - doh.

Clare was lovely; they had a nice JCR, too!

Didn't meet any current students, though..
Sorry you only saw it through the windows, on ents/party nights they take over most of the buttery all through the bar and the JCR room thing, and it's still far too full sometimes! One thing we do lack though is lots of comfy seating, a lot of the seating provided is hard, and the sofas are in great demand when they put a film on the projector or have the great clare comedy.

Nearly everyone, especially the first years, went down on the weekend of the 6/7th and it was last night at the bar on the sunday - which was good fun
Most other people left during the first half of that interview week afaik so I'm afraid we were all at home relaxing...

Alaric.
hell manager
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
AS level: maths (270)
Physics (277)
Biology (277)
Economics (294)

They asked me about why maths was lower than the others (had to take discrete instead of mechanics, had to explain to the interviewer why i found it so difficult, the reason being that it was all about memorising algorithms) They also gave me some grief about not doing further maths (its only taught to AS-level at my school, am doing it in the summer)

excellent results arent they?now i am even more sure about receiving a rejection! i did eco as well , got an 100%,90% and 50%! and my physics was not such a high A!well done for ur results! if there is anyone need to worry about not getting an offer on this forum, then it is definitely not gonna be you! wat do you mean by they gave u some grief about not doing FM?
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
excellent results arent they?now i am even more sure about receiving a rejection! i did eco as well , got an 100%,90% and 50%! and my physics was not such a high A!well done for ur results! if there is anyone need to worry about not getting an offer on this forum, then it is definitely not gonna be you! wat do you mean by they gave u some grief about not doing FM?
They just seemed to be annoyed that i'm not doing A-level further maths, and wanted to know why I did so badly in my AS first module (58%). Guess it concerned them, as my offer is AAA PLUS an A in my further maths AS-level, which I'm not sure I can get. Ah well, it's the only thing i'm resitting in jan so i can concentrate ALL my efforts on it!

Let me know how you get on.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
That happened to my friend this time...the bean thing. One word: WHY?!
Don't know, really don't get it myself. Maybe to see if you can think on your feet or something weird (you know, the usual things people say)

I gather you've been pooled - shame we won't have you with us, but fingers crossed somewhere else picks you up. The meeting is tomorrow morning...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (313)
52.69%
No (281)
47.31%

Watched Threads