fees, loans, general confusion..

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Nif
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
OK, so I'm getting confused about these loans and things. I'm at college this year, not school so
there's no helpful UCAS coordinator person to unconfuse me..

So I've sent off my big complicated loan form, and I reckon I'm going to get the full thing cuz
we've not got alot of money, so that's about £3815 isn't
it.Tuition fees are £1100, my accomodation is about £1900 for the year.. that leaves me with about
£800 to entertain myself for a year.

But then I started reading that little financial help book or whatever that someone sent me when I
applied for something, and it seems to say that cuz we're poor, someone, like the slc or the
government or something, will pay my tuition fees and then I'll get a full loan on top of that.

So which is it? Do I have to pay the fees out of my loan and starve, or do they pay them for me so I
can eat and go out and stuff..

They make it so complicated.. bah

nif
--

- - - - - - - - I asked the guy, "Why you so fly?" He said, "Funky Cold Medina"
Will Grout
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
<snip> as i understand it. as your getting more than the minimum (75%) £2930pa. your tutition fees
will also be lower. basicly, after you've sent off your HE1 and HE2, ypou'll get a form back saying
how much your tuition fees and how much you loan will be.

hope that helps

Will
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"nif" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> OK, so I'm getting confused about these loans and things. I'm at college this year, not school so[/q1]
[q1]> there's no helpful UCAS coordinator person to unconfuse me..[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So I've sent off my big complicated loan form, and I reckon I'm going to[/q1]
get
[q1]> the full thing cuz we've not got alot of money, so that's about £3815[/q1]
isn't
[q1]> it.Tuition fees are £1100, my accomodation is about £1900 for the year.. that leaves me with about[/q1]
[q1]> £800 to entertain myself for a year.[/q1]

You probably won't have to pay tuition fees if you've "not got alot of money," leaving you with a
much more reasonable £1900 or so to play with.

[q1]> But then I started reading that little financial help book or whatever[/q1]
that
[q1]> someone sent me when I applied for something, and it seems to say that cuz we're poor, someone,[/q1]
[q1]> like the slc or the government or something, will pay my tuition fees and then I'll get a full[/q1]
[q1]> loan on top of that.[/q1]

Ah I see. Yes, that is right. That's what I'm getting. Full loan + paid for tuition fees. If you
work over summer then you can afford lots of luxuries as well.
Alex Warren
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ray Pang wrote:

[q1]> "nif" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > OK, so I'm getting confused about these loans and things. I'm at college this year, not school[/q2]
[q2]> > so there's no helpful UCAS coordinator person to unconfuse me..[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > So I've sent off my big complicated loan form, and I reckon I'm going to[/q2]
[q1]> get[/q1]
[q2]> > the full thing cuz we've not got alot of money, so that's about £3815[/q2]
[q1]> isn't[/q1]
[q2]> > it.Tuition fees are £1100, my accomodation is about £1900 for the year.. that leaves me with[/q2]
[q2]> > about £800 to entertain myself for a year.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You probably won't have to pay tuition fees if you've "not got alot of money," leaving you with a[/q1]
[q1]> much more reasonable £1900 or so to play with.[/q1]

And don't forget THE STUDENT DOES NOT PAY THE TUITION FEES IN ANY CASE. The fees are £1100, which
will be met by some combination of your LEA and your *parents*. The loan is for YOU. It is not meant
for paying tuition fees with.

Alex
Nif
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> And don't forget THE STUDENT DOES NOT PAY THE TUITION FEES IN ANY CASE.[/q1]
The fees
[q1]> are £1100, which will be met by some combination of your LEA and your[/q1]
*parents*.
[q1]> The loan is for YOU. It is not meant for paying tuition fees with.[/q1]

ah Thank you, that has made me alot less worried. I was disturbed by the idea of living off £25 a
week. Why did no one tell me I don't have to pay the fees? They hardy make it very clear. Maybe all
the stupid mechanics is coulding my brain and I have lost the ability to read anything
non-maths-related.. aaahhh

nif
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Maybe all the stupid mechanics is coulding my brain and I have lost
[q1]> the ability to read anything non-maths-related.. aaahhh[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> nif[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
There you go, see; that's what maffs does for you. John
Seamus
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"nif" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > And don't forget THE STUDENT DOES NOT PAY THE TUITION FEES IN ANY CASE.[/q2]
[q1]> The fees[/q1]
[q2]> > are £1100, which will be met by some combination of your LEA and your[/q2]
[q1]> *parents*.[/q1]
[q2]> > The loan is for YOU. It is not meant for paying tuition fees with.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ah Thank you, that has made me alot less worried. I was disturbed by the idea of living off £25 a[/q1]
[q1]> week. Why did no one tell me I don't have to pay the fees? They hardy make it[/q1]
very
[q1]> clear. Maybe all the stupid mechanics is coulding my brain and I have lost the ability to read[/q1]
[q1]> anything non-maths-related.. aaahhh[/q1]

when you get your final decision letter from the LEA this will inform you of how much tuition fees
you/your parents have to pay. I got mine about 5 days asfter posting the HE2

Seamus
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.17%
No (574)
65.83%

Watched Threads