Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK guys I need your advice
    If you were to applied for a POSTGRADUATE degree at these schools for Engineering , which one would be your first option?

Strahclyde , Manchester , Heriot Watt , Sussex , Leeds and Sheffield

what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aioria)
    OK guys I need your advice
    If you were to applied for a POSTGRADUATE degree at these schools for Engineering , which one would be your first option?

Strahclyde , Manchester , Heriot Watt , Sussex , Leeds and Sheffield

what would you do?
    Manchester. Second choice Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    First choice Sheffield. Second choice Manchester. then Leeds and Sussex. then Heriot Watt and Strathclyde.

ReputationRep:
    Why Sheffield first? The University of Manchester's Engineering department is a combination of UMIST and Victoria Universities Engineering departments, both excellent. It's probably one of the largest Engineering centres in the country now.

ReputationRep:
    I think Manchester should be the first choice you should consider.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester or Strathclyde.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want, if you want the big city life, clubbing, take aways, shoppings, musuems, buses choose Manchester. If you want open space, quiteness and general prettyness/niceness then Manchester is possibly not the best place.

For most students though Manchester offers everything, and its still close to countryside.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to consider what uni is best for engineering not necessarily because the uni sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    i just prefer sheffield as a place and would rather spend three/four years there than in manchester. just a personal opinion. sheffields overall rep is great, and while manchester also has a great rep and is good for engineering, i would still choose sheffield first for social reasons and the unis academic reputation. Also, looking at the times subject rankings, for electronic and electrical engineering sheffield come 6th, for mechanical engineering it comes 7th, whereas manchester is 15th and 20th respectively. For chemical engineering sheffield comes 8th and for civil engineering 14th. on the whole it seems to be a very strong department. i know we have to be dubious of league tables, and the poster is looking for a postgrad course, but they do at least act as a guide.

so i would still put sheffield 1st, manchester 2nd.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester defo, then leeds, i havent even heard of the other two, although do you actually have offers from these places?

ReputationRep:
    Not Manchester - they're evil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Not Manchester - they're evil!

Not to me they werent. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Not to me they werent. :p:
    Well you probably didnt have a Man.U supporter reading your application! :p:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the person listed the uni's above all have good reputations nationally and internationally.

In my opinion, Manchester, Leeds, and Sheffield are the good ones.

ReputationRep:
    Strathclydes got an excellent repuatation for egineering and the Union and Glasgow as a city is good.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is a very good university generally, not sure about engineering though. Like most people who know what they're talking about on here, pick Manchester - has one of the best engineering departments in the country. After Manchester pick Sheffield, then Leeds or Sussex. Forget about Heriott Watt and Strathcylde. Then again, make sure you don't just go to a university just because of the reputation!

ReputationRep:
    Forget Heriot-Watt but why Strathclyde? There's an excellent Union, right in the city centre of Glasgow and in a University that is worldwide renowned for egineering.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much guys !
    I think your opinions give me more and best information than even the RAES.
    Since I am an international student , I really have no idea , which one should I choose.
    I am going into the field of Mechanical Engineering. So after evaluating all your responses it seems that most of the People think Machester and Sheffield are the best option . Others believe that Leeds and Strathclyde , one Sussex ,and no one says something good about Heriot Watt so I guess Heriot is not that good.

Keep posting please! I am receiving valuable information :creep:

ReputationRep:
    Heriot Watt is a good university. Good reputation, well credited, lovely campus and plus the campus is only 20 minutes or so drive away from Livingston. Makes it nice and easy to support the Mighty Livi Lions from there.

:cool:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.