The Student Room Group

The Polish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr.cool09
Is it true Polish people look up to Asians (predominantly Pakistanis) ??

No, we hate them.

Original post by BOLT9904_PL
Witam drodzy rodacy. W przyszłym roku zaczynam A Levels i mam pytanie czy zdaje tylko z czterech przedmiotów jakie sobie wybiorę czy jeszcze jakieś przymusowe których nie mogę wybrać tak jak to było na GCSE, tzn matma i angielski.

W A-Levels sam/a wybierasz sobie wszystkie klasy. Niektore szkoly oferuja dodatkowe zajecia obowiazkowe typu Critical Thinking, ale z tego co wiem, to wiekszosc uniwersytetow nie bierze juz tego pod uwage, wiec szkoly tez przestaja ich uczyc.
Aha, i A-Levels z grubsza zdaje sie z trzech przedmiotow, nie czterech. Czwarty jest zwykle dodatkowym na pierwszym roku jako AS, ale malo ludzi kontynuuje jego nauke w A2. Chociaz teraz i tak wiekszosc przedmiotow jest liniowa, tz. wszystkie egzaminy zdaje sie na drugim roku, przez co niektore 6th formy zdecydowanie zalecaja uczenie sie tylko trzech przedmiotow, bo i tak nie dostaniemy oceny z AS z czwartego.
Original post by frostyy
No, we hate them.

W A-Levels sam/a wybierasz sobie wszystkie klasy. Niektore szkoly oferuja dodatkowe zajecia obowiazkowe typu Critical Thinking, ale z tego co wiem, to wiekszosc uniwersytetow nie bierze juz tego pod uwage, wiec szkoly tez przestaja ich uczyc.
Aha, i A-Levels z grubsza zdaje sie z trzech przedmiotow, nie czterech. Czwarty jest zwykle dodatkowym na pierwszym roku jako AS, ale malo ludzi kontynuuje jego nauke w A2. Chociaz teraz i tak wiekszosc przedmiotow jest liniowa, tz. wszystkie egzaminy zdaje sie na drugim roku, przez co niektore 6th formy zdecydowanie zalecaja uczenie sie tylko trzech przedmiotow, bo i tak nie dostaniemy oceny z AS z czwartego.

Why do you hate them?
Why do you hate them?

Because they're Muslims. I am not specifically pointing out myself as somebody who would discriminate Pakistanis, but the general public opinion is that Islam is scum and should have no place in Europe.
Original post by frostyy
Because they're Muslims. I am not specifically pointing out myself as somebody who would discriminate Pakistanis, but the general public opinion is that Islam is scum and should have no place in Europe.

Wow. You have a very racist ideology and are filled with hatred. Absolutely filthy and disgusting.
Wow. You have a very racist ideology and are filled with hatred. Absolutely filthy and disgusting.

I'm not sure whether you were implying "you" as me, or the Polish people, but yes, the ideology is very much filled with hatred. I am not racist myself - I have a lot of Muslim friends and nearly dated a Muslim girl, but the hatred does have its explanations and when you look at it from the Polish perspective, it does make more sense.
I'm a pole dancer
Original post by frostyy
the ideology is very much filled with hatred. I

I've never heard about any Polish national ideology. It's just the radicals do a biggest noise, plus we get really angry when hearing about terrorist attacks and rapes.

I've noticed that you British have problems in seeing the difference between race and religion. And even If not, frostyy has oversimplified a bit. There are muslims that we do respect, particularly Tatars. Noone has ever heard about terrorist Tatar, and Polish Tatars are well tried peaceful citizens and patriots. Our alliance and frendship dates back to XIIIth century. We fought a lot of wars together, even against the Ottoman Empire, and they are pretty well known and remembered, even (or suprisingly especially) by far right.

Something more about this Polish "racism"

Polish hero general "Little Negro"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C5%82adys%C5%82aw_Franciszek_Jab%C5%82onowski

And this guy was recently mentioned in all major media
http://demotywatory.pl/3594214/August-Agbola-OBrown
He was a soldier of the "ZWZ-AK" during WWII, in English known as the "Home Army"

Is it true Polish people look up to Asians (predominantly Pakistanis) ??

Polish people usually respect some far east Asians. Particularly Chinese and Vietnamese. Japanese were even often considered as superior to us, because of their almost mithological quality of work, organization.

When it comes to Pakistanis, many will tell you that they're bad because they are muslims.
Recent reports about rapes commited by Pakistanis in the UK are rather famous in Poland, and cause anger in our society.
Poles generally react with agression when they hear about assaults on women.

Though If you asked some old Pole interested in history of WWII, it is possible that he would have good opinion about Pakistani. More than ten thousands of Poles lived out there during WWII. The general Anders'es so called "army" half of which were women and children. So young men went to fight in Europe, while old men, women and children stayed in Pakistan for some time. After WWII some pilots from 303 squadron worked out there upon training of Pakistani air force.

I've recenly seen a documenary about it and there was old Pakistani man who remembered the Poles and he had very critical opinion about current changes in approach to religion in Pakistan (used by politics, while at his youth they were making friends with catholic Poles and nobody cared about differences).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
I've never heard about any Polish national ideology. It's just the radicals do a biggest noise, plus we get really angry when hearing about terrorist attacks and rapes.

I've noticed that you British have problems in seeing the difference between race and religion. And even If not, frostyy has oversimplified a bit. There are muslims that we do respect, particularly Tatars. Noone has ever heard about terrorist Tatar, and Polish Tatars are well tried peaceful citizens and patriots. Our alliance and frendship dates back to XIIIth century. We fought a lot of wars together, even against the Ottoman Empire, and they are pretty well known and remembered, even (or suprisingly especially) by far right.

Something more about this Polish "racism"

Polish hero general "Little Negro"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C5%82adys%C5%82aw_Franciszek_Jab%C5%82onowski

And this guy was recently mentioned in all major media
http://demotywatory.pl/3594214/August-Agbola-OBrown
He was a soldier of the "ZWZ-AK" during WWII, in English known as the "Home Army"

Polish people usually respect some far east Asians. Particularly Chinese and Vietnamese. Japanese were even often considered as superior to us, because of their almost mithological quality of work, organization.

When it comes to Pakistanis, many will tell you that they're bad because they are muslims.
Recent reports about rapes commited by Pakistanis in the UK are rather famous in Poland, and cause anger in our society.
Poles generally react with agression when they hear about assaults on women.

Though If you asked some old Pole interested in history of WWII, it is possible that he would have good opinion about Pakistani. More than ten thousands of Poles lived out there during WWII. The general Anders'es so called "army" half of which were women and children. So young men went to fight in Europe, while old men, women and children stayed in Pakistan for some time. After WWII some pilots from 303 squadron worked out there upon training of Pakistani air force.

I've recently seen a documentary about it and there was old Pakistani man who remembered the Poles and he had very critical opinion about current changes in approach to religion in Pakistan (used by politics, while at his youth they were making friends with catholic Poles and nobody cared about differences).

The Pakistani community that I know of in the UK think very positive about the Polish community, always referring them as "hard working" and "humble". As far as it goes with rape etc... there is a MINORITY of Asians (including Pakistanis) who commit it. The news tends to hype it up as they are Muslim and I am pretty shocked and surprised that the news travels all the way to Poland regarding such ethnic community.

The majority of the Pakistani community is very respectful and honest. Just like the Polish people they work their upmost hardest to earn a living so that they can feed their family.

I am still shocked about how narrow minded some people are in Poland and other nations regarding Pakistani's and Muslims in specific.
The Pakistani community that I know of in the UK think very positive about the Polish community, always referring them as "hard working" and "humble".

I have no idea about actual situation. This however is very likely. Majority of Polish population is still pretty opened, however there is much noise coming from some minor groups, and overall climate is in fear of of muslims.

The news tends to hype it up as they are Muslim and I am pretty shocked and surprised that the news travels all the way to Poland regarding such ethnic community

Poles are very interested in news from the west and every day there must be some info sowhere, related to immigration. I'm not even entirely sure why. I think this is a mixed-effect of high Polish emmigration to the western Europe, recent attacks on Poles and this overall bad climate for Poles in the UK we get to hear about, and history.

Pole maybe pretty ignorant about history, but he surely knows that there were numerous wars with the Ottoman Empire, Russia, that there was a Polish-Bolshevik war of 1920, and is very confident about Poland's contribution in fighting the IIIrd Reich, and fall of communism in 1980ties. This has become a part of modern nation's foundation myth. Poles often consider their nation as a defender of Europe, often treated unfairly, or even betrayed by the west, but defender of the continent from savage hordes.
So when the Poles hear that some Arabic, African or Pakistani immigrants get sky-high handouts for nothing (often higher that wages they would only dream about in Poland), sexuals assaults, and terrorist attacks, they get irritated.

The majority of the Pakistani community is very respectful and honest. Just like the Polish people they work their upmost hardest to earn a living so that they can feed their family.

Yes, but the media doesn't cover "nobody dies" stories. Simplyfying, we get hear out here about terrorist attacks, rapes, riots, and sky-high handouts, someone finds some stats which confirms that muslim immigrants commit more crimes than native British people, so there conclusion goes: "The barbarians are destroying Europe, and they'll take over because of breed rate. Brace for war!"

I am still shocked about how narrow minded some people are in Poland and other nations regarding Pakistani's and Muslims in specific.

Like the Brits who killed Poles and Lithuanians weren't.
At the beginning of the immigration crisis, something like 70% of Poles believed that the those migrants must be provided with aid and accomodation, and that Poland should take part in. (speaking from memory, so forgive me If I'm wrong)
Now it's something about 55%, however now 35% wants the EU or UN to cover our expences on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have no idea about actual situation. This however is very likely. Majority of Polish population is still pretty opened, however there is much noise coming from some minor groups, and overall climate is in fear of of muslims.

Poles are very interested in news from the west and every day there must be some info sowhere, related to immigration. I'm not even entirely sure why. I think this is a mixed-effect of high Polish emmigration to the western Europe, recent attacks on Poles and this overall bad climate for Poles in the UK we get to hear about, and history.

Pole maybe pretty ignorant about history, but he surely knows that there were numerous wars with the Ottoman Empire, Russia, that there was a Polish-Bolshevik war of 1920, and is very confident about Poland's contribution in fighting the IIIrd Reich, and fall of communism in 1980ties. This has become a part of modern nation's foundation myth. Poles often consider their nation as a defender of Europe, often treated unfairly, or even betrayed by the west, but defender of the continent from savage hordes.
So when the Poles hear that some Arabic, African or Pakistani immigrants get sky-high handouts for nothing (often higher that wages they would only dream about in Poland), sexuals assaults, and terrorist attacks, they get irritated.

Yes, but the media doesn't cover "nobody dies" stories. Simplyfying, we get hear out here about terrorist attacks, rapes, riots, and sky-high handouts, someone finds some stats which confirms that muslim immigrants commit more crimes than native British people, so there conclusion goes: "The barbarians are destoying Europe, and they'll take over because of breed rate. Brace for war!"

Like the Brits who killed Poles and Lithuanians weren't.
At the beginning of the immigration crisis, something like 70% of Poles believed that the those migrants must be provided with aid and accomodation, and that Poland should take part in. (speaking from memory, so forgive me If I'm wrong)
Now it's something about 55%, however now 35% wants the EU or UN to cover our expences on it.

The Pakistani community in the UK is below 1%. It is a minority in the UK. The hate from Western newspapers are high and majority of the Asian communities in the UK do not rely on handouts from Government, however are sole traders and run their own businesses.

The many Muslims I have met are peaceful. I have not met one Muslim to this day whom is evil and radicalised. Majority of the Muslim people are fun and humorous to be around, just like many Polish and Eastern Europeans.

People are very judgemental today in the society we are living in. We need to eradicate this hate in our hearts for different ethnicities, cultures and religions.

#BetterTogetherUnited
I was referring to ideology in a general sense and of those with a distaste towards Islam.
And yes, the majority of the population does not like them to say the least. According to polls, 44% have a negative attitude, whereas the rest, at least in my opinion, aren't indulged enough in the topic to have an opinion.

I can't really answer you in regards to the past, because I'm no historian, but your arguments relating to Tatars are quite poor. Most Poles don't even take into account their religious beliefs and if so, the hate is targetted towards Muslims of Middle-Eastern heritage, whereas Tatars are mostly from Slavic and Mongolian regions. Which is why quite interestingly, racism should be taken into account here - Arabs are viewed more negatively than Slavs and Central Asians, who are more closely related to Poles.

Generally, the idea is that a Pole would usually either have a negative opinion on Islam, or not have one at all, which is where my conclusion comes from.

Anyway, conventionally, the hate has its basis in fear of unknown and foreign cultures that would not fit the lifestyle of an Eastern European. Poles quite simply are afraid of someone who puts spirituality and religion above other life areas. Someone willing to pray 5 times a day and starve themselves for a month in the name of a book leads a lot to think that they also would not hold themselves in harming our values, our ways of living and us ourselves if certain conditions were to be applied.
Whether this belief is right or wrong is debatable, but what I personally do agree with, is the fact that if a Muslim was to live in Poland, he would be having a very hard time. Not all neighbourhoods in Poland are safe, even for a Polish person - if someone in a hijab or a beard was walking in downtown Lodz, Szczecin or in Northern Praga or at Mokotow, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be attacked by some skinhead nationalists.

In order of their own safety, no, Muslims should not migrate to Eastern Europe.
Original post by frostyy

I can't really answer you in regards to the past, because I'm no historian, but your arguments relating to Tatars are quite poor. Most Poles don't even take into account their religious beliefs

Not more than 4 months ago, president Andrzej Duda made a well media covered call to representatives of Tatar minority, then our society was rather well informed via TV. I raised subject of Tatars using numerous popular interent platforms, and
so far haven't noticed traces of ignorance on their existence, or any hatred related to them (however I've seen a news that one historical mosque was damaged with spray paint in 2015, but this was in eastern Poland, where sometimes you can't even buy left wing newspapers because local priest may not allow to sell them.

I've seen "Tatar argument" used several times in discussions by pro-muslim discussants, and each time this was met with response saying that "Tatar Islam is completely different".
Another "Tatar argument" is quite different. Muzułmański Związek Religijny w RP (Muslim Religious Association in Republic of Poland) is against accepting refugees.
http://www.kresy.pl/wydarzenia,spoleczenstwo?zobacz/polscy-tatarzy-przeciwni-przyjmowaniu-uchodzcow-dzieli-nas-kulturowa-przepasc

Original post by frostyy

Which is why quite interestingly, racism should be taken into account here - Arabs are viewed more negatively than Slavs and Central Asians, who are more closely related to Poles.

Agreed.

Original post by frostyy

Generally, the idea is that a Pole would usually either have a negative opinion on Islam, or not have one at all, which is where my conclusion comes from.

Possible.

Original post by frostyy

Anyway, conventionally, the hate has its basis in fear of unknown and foreign cultures that would not fit the lifestyle of an Eastern European.

This is quite vital actually. Even If Arabic immigration would make absolutely no harm, and bring no changes in crime ratio (while this ratio actually increases in countries with very large Arabic minorities, such as Sweden), people just don't want changes. I know a retired miner, who went to UK in 90ties after retirement to make extra money. He returned 00', as he said, bacause: "I didn't need any extra money anymore, and I didn't like it out there anymore. When I came to England, it was England. When I was about to leave, it wasn't England anymore".
Poles maybe extra touchy on cultural and ethnic changes in Poland because of history as you know. The ground was expensively payed with blood, so any large numbers of immigrants having strange apperance, may instalty bring a though of invasion. The far east Asians are a different story, since they are considered as harmless and useful.

Original post by frostyy

Poles quite simply are afraid of someone who puts spirituality and religion above other life areas.

I'm not sure is such generalisation is accurate. Although I'm surprised how often criticism upon hard-line catholics can be heard out here. Even from catholic families. Anyway I am afraid of someone who puts religion above other live areas, in my case, those are hard-line catholics. They are crazy. Their way of thinking is insane, and some of them really behave like having a mental disorder. Besides they are dangerous to secular state, and making rational decisions in politics.

Original post by frostyy

Someone willing to pray 5 times a day and starve themselves for a month in the name of a book leads a lot to think that they also would not hold themselves in harming our values, our ways of living and us ourselves if certain conditions were to be applied.

The hard-line catholics have exactly such problem. Perhaps you've heard of the phrase "Katotalibowie". My guess is that soft-line catholics and atheists share similar dislike towards muslims and hard-line catholics, while some of hard-line catholics may simply believe that muslims are servants of false prophet.

Original post by frostyy

Whether this belief is right or wrong is debatable, but what I personally do agree with, is the fact that if a Muslim was to live in Poland, he would be having a very hard time.

Agreed.

Original post by frostyy

Not all neighbourhoods in Poland are safe, even for a Polish person - if someone in a hijab or a beard was walking in downtown Lodz, Szczecin or in Northern Praga or at Mokotow, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be attacked by some skinhead nationalists.

Just like the UK we would say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHO4I_zlAXk
Even in left wing press, even some Polish sociologists (and not politicians! If you suspected you-know-who), said that people in arabic countries have demanding attitude, in terms of wanting something for nothing. This maybe related to Arabic socialism, but also to their trade lifestyle, which do not demand much work. The Turks have dominated trade of second hand cars in Germany. The Polish second hand dealers say that they are like "typowy Seba" (eng. explanation: typical Sebastian slyboots second-hand car dealer).

Original post by frostyy

In order of their own safety, no, Muslims should not migrate to Eastern Europe.

Huh, this is like saying that Poles should not migrate to UK because British teenagers may kill them. More attacks on Poles in UK were reported, If I can remember, than attacks of Poles on muslims.
However I can agree on one thing- people would not look at them with a friendly eye, and establishing a muslim district would end in a battle for fists and sticks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I have to agree with PTMalewski - most people in Poland are racists, especially to Muslims. Yet they are the first ones to point out any racist behaviours in other countries! It's sad but true :frown: I guess Polish people don't even realise they are racist and that they would never want to be treated the way they treat foreigners. Maybe if they realised, it would be different....

Not every Polish would be racist though. I would never discriminate anyone because of where they are from or what they believe in :/ I have Muslim friends in Poland and lots of multicultural friends here in England.

By the way, I never knew there are so many Poles here at TSR! :biggrin:
Original post by yaaaas
Yeah I have to agree with PTMalewski - most people in Poland are racists, especially to Muslims.

How on Earth, can one be racist towards religion? It's contradictory to definition of the word "racism". Let's not mix names of different things, shall we?

And I would discriminate members of Waffen SS for example. Freedom of speech, and freedom o though was founded because we often cannot find which view may be true. However some opinions can be easily prooven as wrong and harmful, but I wouldn't be quick to accept a random judgement on that. I can still remember how a course of logic during philosophical studies have demolished and redesigned my system of thinking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it someone here? :P
Czy ktoś z was robił IELTS? Mam pytanko:smile:
Original post by yaaaas
Czy ktoś z was robił IELTS? Mam pytanko:smile:

ja robiłam :smile:)
Hej, studiuje ktoś na Edinburgh College of Art albo Glasgow School of Art?
Original post by seamoon
ja robiłam :smile:)

Bardzo trudno było? Mieszkam w UK od 1,5 roku, ale trochę się stresuję. Musze miec przynajmniej 6.5 w kazdej części zeby sie dostac na uniwersytet, jestem ciekawa czy to bedzie bardzo trudne?
Original post by yaaaas
Bardzo trudno było? Mieszkam w UK od 1,5 roku, ale trochę się stresuję. Musze miec przynajmniej 6.5 w kazdej części zeby sie dostac na uniwersytet, jestem ciekawa czy to bedzie bardzo trudne?

Nie, zdanie na 6.5 nie jest trudne. Ale musisz być świadoma tego, ze na IELTS nie da sie nauczyc jak na egzamin-to trzeba trenowac z czasem. Bo czas odgrywa naprawde wielka role i gdyby faktycznie ielts miałby sprawdzac twoja wiedze, nie byloby takiej malej ilosci czasu. Szczegolnie ciezko jest na czesci z readingiem.

Quick Reply

Latest