Speed of light - physics people read lol

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I wonder what you must see if you travel faster than the speed of light. Surely it means that what is happening now is behind you, as the light from it cant catch up with you. Does this mean that what you see in front of you is the past? Or the future? Or what?

If you could look into the past, woudlnt it be good to go to the beginning of time to see what created the universe. It would lay a lot of things to rest.

P.S I know a lot of you are gonna be laughing at this post lol.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
From what I can remember from A-Level physics (which was only this summer), when you travel at the speed of light, time stands still. This came from Einstein's THeory of Relativity, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong poeple!!!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I wonder what you must see if you travel faster than the speed of light. Surely it means that what is happening now is behind you, as the light from it cant catch up with you. Does this mean that what you see in front of you is the past? Or the future? Or what?

If you could look into the past, woudlnt it be good to go to the beginning of time to see what created the universe. It would lay a lot of things to rest.

You can't go faster than the speed of light. fullstop.
king of swords
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Will this have something to do with light speed theory (time slowing down as v tends to the speed of light)?
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by king of swords)
Will this have something to do with light speed theory (time slowing down as v tends to the speed of light)?
If time slows down as you approach c then i guess beyond c time will go backwards. But it is impossible to get a mass under the speed of light to travel over it because as it passes c it gains infinite mass.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
You can't go faster than the speed of light. fullstop.
Why cant you go faster than the speed of light?
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
i tried to explain this just the other day. do a search for my explanation.
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

You like this thread now unregistered ?
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
BhAAL, TRANSLATE "KE DAAAA, BALBA TCHATIKKA....."
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
because it is impossible. As you approach c, time slows down. when you travel at c, you switch your time axis to run on imaginary time (perpendicular to the normal time axis). In the real time axis, you are stuck on 0, so going faster than the speed of light would require an acceleration, but since dt=0, a=0, so you can't do it.
king of swords
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
because it is impossible. As you approach c, time slows down. when you travel at c, you switch your time axis to run on imaginary time (perpendicular to the normal time axis). In the real time axis, you are stuck on 0, so going faster than the speed of light would require an acceleration, but since dt=0, a=0, so you can't do it.
Clever .
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Thanks, Im just digesting it atm.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So time slows that as you speed up. Is that because time is a measure of things moving relativly, so if you move close to the speed of light then the light will not be moving fast relative to yourself??
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I would love to continue this, but since I am going away for the weekend, I won't be back online till sunday, by which time this thread will be long dead. Bye Bye
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ok bye then.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by king of swords)
You like this thread now unregistered ?
lol i thought it might provoke conversation lol
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So time slows that as you speed up. Is that because time is a measure of things moving relativly, so if you move close to the speed of light then the light will not be moving fast relative to yourself??
Indeed, hence Einstein's Theory of RELATIVITY!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i always thought it was a mass/energy problem.
I.e when you give something energy you are in effect increasing its mass(E=mc^2).(trivial increases at low velocities but very singificant as ur velocity gets very close to c) Since you need ever increasing ammounts of energy to go faster, u end up requiring an infinite amount of energy to hit the speed of light. since there is a finite amount of energy in the whole universe this would be impossible.

anyone else heard it that way? or am i talking rubbish :-)

Cheers,

Simon
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i always thought it was a mass/energy problem.
I.e when you give something energy you are in effect increasing its mass(E=mc^2).(trivial increases at low velocities but very singificant as ur velocity gets very close to c) Since you need ever increasing ammounts of energy to go faster, u end up requiring an infinite amount of energy to hit the speed of light. since there is a finite amount of energy in the whole universe this would be impossible.

anyone else heard it that way? or am i talking rubbish :-)

Cheers,

Simon
yeah thats my take on it
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"so if you move close to the speed of light then the light will not be moving fast relative to yourself??"

i thought light(in a vacume) allways moved a c regardless of how fast you are moving, wasn't that the basis of relitivity, that time is relitive and the speed of light is a universal constant??

Simon
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.15%
No (511)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise