Speed of light - physics people read lol

Watch
This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
the speed of light has to be a universal constant, because maxwell's equations for electromagnetic waves stipulate it to be so. If you travelled at the speed of light, and c wasn't constant (ie you moved at 0 relative to a light wave) the wave would be destroyed (it would stop oscillating and propagating) which is impossible, as it would not be destroyed in other frames. The only way to reconcile this is to make relative time slow down
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Relativity my dear watson (erm...ahem)

Light will always travel at light speed in a vaccum no matter what your speed. If you are travelling at light speed and shone a touch in front of you, the light would travel away from you at light speed. That's the idea behind relativity, all observers see things differently from their own point of view and each observers view obeys the laws of physics.

Einstein actually pondered this question himself as a child, he used to imagine racing after a beam of light. His later work concluded that you could never catch up or remain an equal distance from the light beam as it would travel away from you at the speed of light.

In short - if you are travelling at the speed of light and shone a torch, the light would travel away from you at light speed.

I know people will try and argue this etc etc but it is correct. I highly recommend the book 'About Time' by Paul Davies - this will clear things up for any doubters!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
God, we're starting Relativity next week. I don't like all this stuff about frames .
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
God, we're starting Relativity next week. I don't like all this stuff about frames .
You seriously should buy the book I mentioned - read through the first 4-5 chapters (which doesn't take long) and you will be completely up to speed with the theory. The book is excellant as it isn't mathematical at all, it just explains it in plain text - once you have got that straight in your head you can apply the maths at college!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The Maths isn't what worries me, it's just the concept of frames and stuff moving relative to other frames, inertial frames, etc.
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
As we havnt tried to travel at the speed of light,we can never be 100% sure that these things are going to happen. We can only wonder. All these theories may be wrong.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered007)
As we havnt tried to travel at the speed of light,we can never be 100% sure that these things are going to happen. We can only wonder. All these theories may be wrong.
but they have been tested in labs by accelerating electrons etc close tot he speed of light, also muon bursts travelling at 0.97c have a higher half-life than normal.
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
but they have been tested in labs by accelerating electrons etc close tot he speed of light, also muon bursts travelling at 0.97c have a higher half-life than normal.
Have the ever accelerated them at c? or over c? Obviously, you cant see an electron so you couldnt see the its perspective of the light it sees. Now that would be interesting. Putting a little camera on top of the electron ;-)
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered007)
Have the ever accelerated them at c? or over c? Obviously, you cant see an electron so you couldnt see the its perspective of the light it sees. Now that would be interesting. Putting a little camera on top of the electron ;-)
:rolleyes:
TIGTIG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
You can't go faster than the speed of light. fullstop.
now now one day it might, like look at star treck in comparrison. Today everythings near enough there in technology except a teleporter thats the next step.mobile phones were bricks now there too small
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
:rolleyes:
Is that a face of dispair? Id hope youd taken my comments seriously toryboy
icy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TIGTIG)
now now one day it might like look at star treck in comparrison of now a days everythings near enough there except a teleporter thats the next step

:confused: u could do with some punctuation
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TIGTIG)
now now one day it might, like look at star treck in comparrison. Today everythings near enough there in technology except a teleporter thats the next step.mobile phones were bricks now there too small
yes, but the technlogy in star trek is not about going faster than light, its about warping space-time to your advantage so that the distance between events A and B is tiny.
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icy)
Phew momma calm down its only a message board. Not a letter to the Queen.
TIGTIG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icy)
ha yeah dyslexic
TIGTIG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
yes, but the technlogy in star trek is not about going faster than light, its about warping space-time to your advantage so that the distance between events A and B is tiny.
now though if you knew any thing about physics and einstien(dyslexic also)you'de know that the theory is based on moving particles what ever using transporting them through light or transport them like the way light is arranged I think hey i'm no einstein .Doesnt the hms enterprise travel at warp speeds in lightyears though also
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
BTW...it is possible to travel faster than light FACT. It is true that no matter that has any mass can travel faster than light, but there are certain particles that have no instrinsic mass and actually do travel faster than the speed of light. These particles (of which i forget the name) have been detected and verified.

E=mc2 only prevents matter with a mass from travelling faster than light.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
BTW...it is possible to travel faster than light FACT. It is true that no matter that has any mass can travel faster than light, but there are certain particles that have no instrinsic mass and actually do travel faster than the speed of light. These particles (of which i forget the name) have been detected and verified.

E=mc2 only prevents matter with a mass from travelling faster than light.
yes i do know that, they're called tachyons
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
thats it! - i couldnt remember the name!
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
still theoretical i thought (we've discussed this before i know)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (556)
50.32%
No (549)
49.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise