The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have friends whos parents charge rent for their rooms. My parents dnt, i have a part time job and i help with the costs of food every week and sumtimes bills
Reply 2
Surely that's up to the parents? It's probably cheaper for parents having their child living at home anyway, because they won't have to pay accomodation costs
~Sam~
Surely that's up to the parents? It's probably cheaper for parents having their child living at home anyway, because they won't have to pay accomodation costs

Exactly.. it depends how well off the parents are. If they don't have much money so their son/daughter is getting more student loan money then yeah maybe they should charge, at least for some food & bills. But if they're fairly well off then chances are they'd have been paying for accomodation anyway.

I get the best of both worlds... because my parents are seperated, my loan is assessed on my mum's income (which is precisely zero, and means I get the maximum), but my dad's got plenty of money and will be paying my accomodation for 1st year :biggrin: .
Reply 4
i think you should pay to cover housekeeping. i'm on my gap year at teh moment and pay £50 a week to my parents - to cover food and thigns and to make up for having stolen my mum's car!

i just feel better paying because it establishes that i'm moer independent then i was when i was at school. plus my mum doesn't get child benefit any more. if i lived at home when i went to uni i would still pay, because you're still getting that loan and can pay a bit even though it's not as much as you would do in halls.
Reply 5

My mum doesn't pay anything towards my uni fees at all, she's at college. She can't afford to give me any money for accomodation or other costs either. Despite that if i had gone to uni and lived at home which was was possibility it would have cost more as we live in London. It depends on whether the student could afford to (i couldn't) and if the parents could do with the money (she could!)
Reply 6
I pay £100 a semester to my parents, but I also give them interest free loans when they need them, my mum pays me £30 a month as she has borrowed about £2500 of my loan so far.

When I had contracts rather than give my parents money I usualy just buy them somthing fairly expensive, I also provide my parents with free computers, free TVs, free HIFI equipment so far by handing stuff down, there HIFI is worth £400 etc.

My parents finanical situation is strange so me and my sister just act as a buffer in case of emergency, my mum would feel bad about taking any real money of because she knows I am in debt myself £7000.

PS The LEA pay my fees so thats not a problem, my parents would not able to otherwise.
Reply 7
No way! With what money? I only earn £30 a week I wouldn't have any money left over to pay my parents money. It's the other way round, they buy me things cos they earn and I don't.
here's a pic of me.
Reply 9

Random post of the day :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Also another way I help my parents is DIY, that saves a lot of electricians bills! In 2001 I created a website for this joinrey company on condition they put a new bathroom in, which was a major major back to bare bricks job. The luxery royal dualton toilet survived though :tongue:
AT82

PS The LEA pay my fees so thats not a problem, my parents would not able to otherwise.

This is why I feel sorry for English students - some have to pay their own fees :eek:. The SAAS (the Scottish student awards place) pay everyone's fees, regardless. They also give me £2500 a year, and that's not a loan it's a bursary, they just give me it. Free money! Plus another £2000 a year as a loan.
Toy Soldier
This is why I feel sorry for English students - some have to pay their own fees :eek:. The SAAS (the Scottish student awards place) pay everyone's fees, regardless. They also give me £2500 a year, and that's not a loan it's a bursary, they just give me it. Free money! Plus another £2000 a year as a loan.

Gah!
Well, uh, I won't have to pay fees for my fourth year if I go to Edinburgh. I think.

Mind you, my household income for the past financial year was unusually low. I think I won't be paying any/much of the fees, for the first year at least.
Hayley...
Gah!
Well, uh, I won't have to pay fees for my fourth year if I go to Edinburgh. I think.

Naaah, just because it's in Scotland doesn't mean you get away with it. You have to be Scottish... you have to have lived in scotland for a certain number of years I think (to stop people moving to Scotland for a week to get the fees payed, then leaving again I guess :biggrin: ). The SAAS even pays the fees for Scottish citizens everywhere... even if they're going to University in another country. Which is stupid - 'cause they're probably just going to stay there and never pay a penny in Scottish tax.
Toy Soldier
Naaah, just because it's in Scotland doesn't mean you get away with it. You have to be Scottish... you have to have lived in scotland for a certain number of years I think (to stop people moving to Scotland for a week to get the fees payed, then leaving again I guess :biggrin: ). The SAAS even pays the fees for Scottish citizens everywhere... even if they're going to University in another country. Which is stupid - 'cause they're probably just going to stay there and never pay a penny in Scottish tax.

Ah, but I'll be paying for the first three years.

Linky

It's because had I gone to an English uni, chances are I'd have only paid for three years, as I'd only been there for three years.
Look at me, assuming I'll get the grades...
Hayley...

Look at me, assuming I'll get the grades...

To assume makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. Heh, I love that :biggrin:
Haha!

You know, people actually sit there and think of those. Then they think they're cute.
Hayley...
Haha!

You know, people actually sit there and think of those. Then they think they're cute.

I know a guy who has to use them to spell things. You hear him saying them under his breath while he's writing... like *scribble scribble* ...makes an ass out of you and me... *scribble*
Reply 18
Thread hijackers! :eek:
Well i pay about £20 a week to my parents to cover some of that stuff, but if i had to pay any more, because of transport and stuff, i may as well have moved out, thats why its so low.

Latest

Trending

Trending