dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
Thread hijackers! :eek:
Pffft, fine!

I think that chipping in would be the polite thing to do.
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)

I think that chipping in would be the polite thing to do.
I think parents shouldn't expect anything until you hit 20, then they can start expecting some money if you live at home. My justification is that when they're old you're probably going to have to look after them or pay for them to be looked after. I personally plan to be earning plenty of cash, so my sister can look after 'em when they're ancient and I'll send money :cool:
Mrs_F
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
I think parents shouldn't expect anything until you hit 20, then they can start expecting some money if you live at home. My justification is that when they're old you're probably going to have to look after them or pay for them to be looked after. I personally plan to be earning plenty of cash, so my sister can look after 'em when they're ancient and I'll send money :cool:
Just wondering why 20?
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lynseyweth)
Just wondering why 20?
...because it seems like a reasonable age to be expected to have moved out by.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
when on my 2 gap years, I paid my parents £100 per month. My brother does the same now he is earning.

Ruthie xx
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
...because it seems like a reasonable age to be expected to have moved out by.
Ah right. Well I hope my parents don't read this as they might start taking money off me. Argh I couldn't cope. Slightly off subject but my manager at work (she is 20) doesn't even pay board and she is a manager earning lotsa money, not even a student. So I see it as if she doesn't pay then I definately shouldn't have to. Not that my parents have ever asked me to though, I think I would cry.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should. My brother pays £50 a week in housekeeping costs and he's only 18! He's an apprentice electrician earning £200 a week, so my parents get a quarter of his wages. If I get into uni, I'll be moving out next year anyway, but if I wasn't, I'd pay rent.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dont pay my parents rent now and dont intend to ever
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've paid rent since i was 16 and working! I have to pay 30% of what I earn to my mum as rent. Same went with my brother too. Its fair enough, if we are earning money then we should be paying towards our upkeep.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Innocentvictim)
To help cover food costs etc. If you think they should, what do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for one week.
I will have to pay board and lodgings to my parents, although it will only be £50 a week. Hopefully I will be able to get more for my student loan to cover it.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I've paid rent since i was 16 and working! I have to pay 30% of what I earn to my mum as rent. Same went with my brother too. Its fair enough, if we are earning money then we should be paying towards our upkeep.
How much do you earn if you don't mind me asking?
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I gave my parents £1000 from my student loan.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How much do you earn if you don't mind me asking?
Now? Not a lot, £17000 a year before tax. When I was 15 I was on 12 hour contract at £3.00 an hour!
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have to pay 33% of what I earn outside of uni term time (well, when I am at uni)
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Now? Not a lot, £17000 a year before tax. When I was 15 I was on 12 hour contract at £3.00 an hour!
What job do you do? I only get £4.10 and hour now and I'm 20 :bawling:
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What job do you do? I only get £4.10 and hour now and I'm 20 :bawling:
I'm doing my masters in psychology and working in the hospital too for clinical hours.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing my masters in psychology and working in the hospital too for clinical hours.
How many hours per week do you do? I would have to pay my parents if I was earning 17 grand a year as well but I only earn about 2 grand if that so they can't really expect any money off me.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How many hours per week do you do? I would have to pay my parents if I was earning 17 grand a year as well but I only earn about 2 grand if that so they can't really expect any money off me.
37 hours. I just have to give 30% of anything I earn.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
37 hours. I just have to give 30% of anything I earn.
If I did that I would have to give my parents £9 that would leave me with £21. £20 petrol money per week so I would only have £1 left. Roll on finishing uni and earning a proper wage!
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If I did that I would have to give my parents £9 that would leave me with £21. £20 petrol money per week so I would only have £1 left. Roll on finishing uni and earning a proper wage!
Unfortunatly because I've done this since I was 16 I've forgone many items because I couldnt afford it. I've only started driving lessons now casue I can afford to learn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads