Should University students who live at home pay board to their parents? Watch

This discussion is closed.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That kind of thing would never enter my parents' heads. seems rather bizzare to me.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I live at home and pay £10 a week, though I sometimes pay £30.
saturn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my friend is working part time (23 hours a week) and only earn's about £100 a week and is paying £40 a week to her parents. They told her its cheap for rent but personally i dont know these things so can't judge
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Innocentvictim)
To help cover food costs etc. If you think they should, what do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for one week.
No effing way! How would you feel if you had been living quite happily in your house for all these years only for all of a sudden to have your parents say "Ok well since you are in uni im charging you to live here" bloody hell! Dont they know you have uni stuff to pay for and obviously the have been getting along fine all this time without your money.

My parents dont charge, they think its outrageous to expect a student with a debt to pay to live in their own house. However, they say I can buy all my own clothes and stuff, I pay for all the times I go out, all my transport costs etc... The only thing they help me out with is my car which I share with my sister and we drive our siblings around.

Probably few people do it here becuase no one goes to live at uni. Only kids from way out in the outback live at unis.
hk_1_kinobi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
Exactly.. it depends how well off the parents are. If they don't have much money so their son/daughter is getting more student loan money then yeah maybe they should charge, at least for some food & bills. But if they're fairly well off then chances are they'd have been paying for accomodation anyway.

I get the best of both worlds... because my parents are seperated, my loan is assessed on my mum's income (which is precisely zero, and means I get the maximum), but my dad's got plenty of money and will be paying my accomodation for 1st year .
Same here! My mum doesn't earn as much as my dad, they're divorced (so I claim some, but not much, money from the government) and dad can pay for all my school books and things, yay! He's gotta pay for my sister too, but yeah, all in all we get the best of both worlds
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im living at home at uni i pay about £20 week to my mom and i also buy my own food, have a hob in my room to cook for myself so pay my own gas cannot use home fone only mobile etci wana move out but if i do my parents wont fill in my assessment for student loan forms so i wont get one and hence will have to pay all my tuttion fees and loan myself at £5000 a year i canot
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Innocentvictim)
To help cover food costs etc. If you think they should, what do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for one week.
Erm. Isn't that a parental prerogative?
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yea but parantal resp ceases when the chile is 18
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
yea but parantal resp ceases when the chile is 18
*sigh*
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey did yu bad rep me cos of ma MOM MOM MOM MOMMY ?
Profesh?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey did yu bad rep me cos of ma MOM MOM MOM MOMMY ?
Profesh?
Why? Is there something wrong with her?
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im living at home at uni i pay about £20 week to my mom and i also buy my own food, have a hob in my room to cook for myself so pay my own gas cannot use home fone only mobile etci wana move out but if i do my parents wont fill in my assessment for student loan forms so i wont get one and hence will have to pay all my tuttion fees and loan myself at £5000 a year i canot
If you've been supporting yourself for 3 years then you count as an independent student
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well if it wasnt u, sorry i just bad repped u i assumed it must have been u. cos no 1 elss replied. someone sent me a neg rep sayn i av bad spe,.l..n and grama. they said i shud not use the wurd MOM.

sorry if i gat it wrug
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by juno_the)
If you've been supporting yourself for 3 years then you count as an independent student
thanks but i only started uni in sept so i havent been supporting myself for 3 yrs. and also cos im living in the same house as them, i think they probab;ly wouldnt believe me
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well if it wasnt u, sorry i just bad repped u i assumed it must have been u. cos no 1 elss replied. someone sent me a neg rep sayn i av bad spe,.l..n and grama. they said i shud not use the wurd MOM.

sorry if i gat it wrug
Fortunately, your skills of co-ordination have proven to be as imprecise as your syntax: you neutral-repped me.

Had I neg-repped you, it would be for behaving in a premature and reactionary manner, and acting upon a tacit misunderstanding :rolleyes:
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Fortunately, your skills of co-ordination have proven to be as imprecise as your syntax: you neutral-repped me.

Had I neg-repped you, it would be for behaving in a premature and reactionary manner, and acting upon a tacit misunderstanding :rolleyes:
waat the heel bo u mean maan?
sorry i gat it wrong maan. i asum it muss be u cos no on e selse repled to my post excapt you . they sad horibl stuff about ma mom MOM. can i get u somthing from tecos?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
waat the heel bo u mean maan?
sorry i gat it wrong maan. i asum it muss be u cos no on e selse repled to my post excapt you . they sad horibl stuff about ma mom MOM. can i get u somthing from tecos?
Look up 'prerogative'.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*shoves profesh dictionary up arse*
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*shoves profesh dictionary up arse*
Thanks, but I already internalised my dictionary :rolleyes:
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ya ya i can tell

i went to tescos and brought back:

1 pkt tesco value digestive biccys
3 pack tesco value orange squash cartojns
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads