This discussion is closed.
DOJO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The concepts - anyone agree? I mean I have found that once you do past papers (the soloman ones), it is only that that you really understand the difference between velocity and speed.
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
The concepts - anyone agree? I mean I have found that once you do past papers (the soloman ones), it is only that that you really understand the difference between velocity and speed.
I don't think so. In contrast, I think it's easy .
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCHL85)
I don't think so. In contrast, I think it's easy .
The Core Units are 10 times easier, as it is much more abstract IMO...Do you do physics as well as maths?
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
The Core Units are 10 times easier, as it is much more abstract IMO...Do you do physics as well as maths?
Yes, I do . Maybe that's the reason why I find it easy
DOJO
Rep:
?
Yes, I do . Maybe that's the reason why I find it easy
Yeah that is definently the reason why you find it easy Whereas I myself haven't touched any physics for 3 years! :eek:
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
Yeah that is definently the reason why you find it easy Whereas I myself haven't touched any physics for 3 years! :eek:
So if you have any difficulty with it, I'll try to help
DOJO
Rep:
?
So if you have any difficulty with it, I'll try to help
Thanks, thats very kind of you
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
technically yes, the concepts are the hardest part to mechanics. the maths is relatively easy.
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd say the maths is definitely the easier part for a non-physicist, because the mechanics units assume knowledge of Pure so they will always be 'behind'...Later on, the concepts can become annoying...I can try and help you too, if ya like, when you get stuck; I'm pretty good at writing simple, succinct and accurate descriptions of concepts and methods and I've jotted a few notes down for a notebook/manual/leaflet type thangy and it looks pretty good so I might develop it more into a companion to the text book (M1 and M2 at the mo', gonna go up to M5 :eek:)
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
I'd say the maths is definitely the easier part for a non-physicist, because the mechanics units assume knowledge of Pure so they will always be 'behind'...Later on, the concepts can become annoying...I can try and help you too, if ya like, when you get stuck; I'm pretty good at writing simple, succinct and accurate descriptions of concepts and methods and I've jotted a few notes down for a notebook/manual/leaflet type thangy and it looks pretty good so I might develop it more into a companion to the text book (M1 and M2 at the mo', gonna go up to M5 :eek:)
I definently agree with you , when it comes to doing algebraric minipulation (which is largely a pure maths skill) like lets say in kinematics for example sake , rearranging the formulae of v=u+at to answer the question is what I find easy. Same goes for using trig (to find direction of magnitude), pythag and adding vectors in vectors. All GCSE stuff really if you look at it.

The problem I have, since I come from a pure or should I say core mathematics background, I am very used to abstract maths, so when I started mechanics the questions quiet literally blew me away - especially when they started adding stuff about two ships coliding and other real life problems.

Also what made it even more difficult is the conceps of velocity, acceleration etc. as it seems as though the key to many of the questions is knowing what exactly those terminologies are, as therefore you know straight away what method to use and know what you are doing because by knowing those terminologies you begin to realise what exactly you are looking for.
Syncman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i personally always found momentum really hard. mainly because of the direction. One of the formula has a minus sign and the other doesnt.
LoL i have a shocking memory, doing P6 now and i still cant remember what u get when u differentiate / intergrate sin and cos. always get minuses in the wrong place.
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by Syncman)
i personally always found momentum really hard. mainly because of the direction. One of the formula has a minus sign and the other doesnt.
LoL i have a shocking memory, doing P6 now and i still cant remember what u get when u differentiate / intergrate sin and cos. always get minuses in the wrong place.
Well, I havent got that far yet (momentums), but I bet I will have trouble with it too! I cant wait to start doing C3/C4, I am missing abstract maths so much I have to get through M1 by the end of feb, so I hope it goes well.

I would prefer they stopped teaching additional Alevel maths on a comp sci course that I get put on next year, C1-C4,M1-M2 is surely enough!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you haven't been told to draw a diagram, then make sure you do. It helps to get all of the information out of the question, because as the questions get harder they become longer and it's easy to miss things
Syncman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you like abstract maybe S1 and S2 would have been better
I took S2 in jan and it was the easiest paper ive ever taken. Apart from the M1 paper i took but ive a phycis background so i find mechanics easy. Well i did till i started M3
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by Syncman)
If you like abstract maybe S1 and S2 would have been better
I took S2 in jan and it was the easiest paper ive ever taken. Apart from the M1 paper i took but ive a phycis background so i find mechanics easy. Well i did till i started M3
Yeah I was thinking of doing S1 and S2, but I just find it boring to be honest. I have chosen to do M1 because it is interesting and plus I can see how relevent it is too the pure modules. The chapter on vectors would surely give me a strong foundation on the vectors in C3/4. Plus it teaches you how to read questions precisely, which is an art of its own...

I will probably be doing S1
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by juno_the)
If you haven't been told to draw a diagram, then make sure you do. It helps to get all of the information out of the question, because as the questions get harder they become longer and it's easy to miss things
This may sound strange, but for Mechanics drawing the question sometimes gets me more confused then reading the question and answering it using algebra.

I normally look for key words then apply algebra there for the neccessary question.
Syncman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I personally think S1 is harder than S2 LoL
Neway i think i must sleep now lol.
Chow
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads