This discussion is closed.
ChaoticCharlie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I have just decided on my preliminary AS Level options and have chosen to do biology, chemistry, physics, French and geography, with the intention of continuing biology, chemistry and French to A2.

I was just wondering what the workload with these 5 subjects would be like? I can tend to be a litle bit lazy... I am interested in them all, and was also considering maths when choosing my objects, but obviously I decided against it!

If it's any help, I did pretty well in my GCSE mocks, getting 4 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. I was thinking that if found the workload too large, I could drop one subject (either geography or physics - but I enjoy geography and it would be good to have physics because I would like to do science at uni.)
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To be honest, it depends what you want to do at uni (more specifically) and where.

If yo want to study Natural Sciences at Cam, for examples, you really need Chemistry, Physics, Maths and preferably Further Maths for Physical Science or replace F Maths for Biology for Biological Sciences.

That's a good comb. but its quite a lot of work...
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Those subjects are bloody hard :eek:
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Those subjects are bloody hard :eek:
I agree, they are very demanding subjects; I would maybe do just 4 if you could since that will be a lot of work...
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It would be ok to do 5 AS levels, but it's advisable to drop one, as doing 5 full A-levels will be a lot.
ChaoticCharlie
Rep:
?
Well yes, I am actually thinking of dropping 2 after AS (geo and physics). I am not crazy enough to do 5 full A Levels! 5 ASs is quite mangeable though?

And I was considering natural sciences at Cambridge, but I don't like maths, tbh! I would do the biological sciences anyway and the website says chem/bio is needed, but physics or maths as well would be really useful, even if just to AS. I choose physics! So, at uni I would like to either do biological sciences or medicine really.
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I asked the same question (further down the forum) and recieved plenty of helpful advice , with lots of people saying if you have good GCSE grades (as yours look) there is nothing to lose by doing 5 as you can alwas drop one in a crisis.

Also some interesting stuff about AEAs which certainly helped me out.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticCharlie)
Well yes, I am actually thinking of dropping 2 after AS (geo and physics). I am not crazy enough to do 5 full A Levels! 5 ASs is quite mangeable though?

And I was considering natural sciences at Cambridge, but I don't like maths, tbh! I would do the biological sciences anyway and the website says chem/bio is needed, but physics or maths as well would be really useful, even if just to AS. I choose physics! So, at uni I would like to either do biological sciences or medicine really.
Yeah, you can drop 2 if you want, as uni's want 3 A-levels anyway.
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do what you enjoy rather than what will look 'good' on a ucas application, more imp than ever if you're doing 5 ASs. Some of my friends are doing 5 and only have an hour and a halfs worth of frees each week and they're always working! But if you want to do it, give it a go - you can always drop one into the year if it's too much.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Excellent subjects. It will be a lot of work, but your mock GCSE grades are brilliant and if you're dropping 2 after AS, it should be all right. You could always drop a subject before AS if you want, and your choices give you the opportunity to do biological natural sciences or medicine.
ChaoticCharlie
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Excellent subjects. It will be a lot of work, but your mock GCSE grades are brilliant and if you're dropping 2 after AS, it should be all right. You could always drop a subject before AS if you want, and your choices give you the opportunity to do biological natural sciences or medicine.
That's great to know, thanks! Yeah, I know it will be quite a lot of work, so I think I will discuss it with my teachers. The problem is if I dropped 1 I couldn't really decide which - it was difficult enough getting it down to 5! Anyway, thanks for your help.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticCharlie)
That's great to know, thanks! Yeah, I know it will be quite a lot of work, so I think I will discuss it with my teachers. The problem is if I dropped 1 I couldn't really decide which - it was difficult enough getting it down to 5! Anyway, thanks for your help.
You're welcome
slurp_coke
Report 14 years ago
If you put the work in and get a good balance between your studies and leisure activities you should be fine.

Remember, most higher education institutions look for 3 A levels.
spin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why not take 4 As's in the first year, drop one and then do 3 A2's in the second year with another AS..?

That way you'd still get to all the subjects and yet you'd avoid a horrific first year.

I got 9 A*'s and 3 A's at GCSE without a struggle really (that's 2 more GCSEs than you did) and yet I found the first year of A level very very very demanding. I am a completely different student now to when I started year 12. Chemistry and Physics are HARD. They are really hard. Unless you have a freakish talent in them (which I don't). And even if you do you'll still need to work. And you said you can be a little lazy.. *shrug*

From my personal experiences of Biology, Chem, Physics and A-levels in general I'd say you'd be much better off doing 4 subjects at AS and doing them well than trying to manage 5. I'd say:

1st year: Biology, Chem, Phys, French
2nd year: Biology, Chem, Phys, Geog

Or something

Good luck with it anyway..
shyopstv
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would go for it if I was you. You said that you can be a bit lazy but who isn't at 15/16? If you have a genuine intrest in all 5 of the subjects youa re doing surley it won't it wouldn't be too bad doing a lot of work in them? You can always drop one if you find 5 too hard but if you take 4 and then decide that you want to do a fifth after all, you won't mormally be allowed to take another subject.

Just be aware that A Levels are VERY different to GCSE's (especially Physics imo) and just because you are doing well at GCSE, it doesn't guaruntee anything when it comes to A Level
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed