This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The computer has finaly come but it has MS DOS 7.0 on it (WIN98 command prompt) and there is no option in the BIOS to boot from CD (this is an IBM). Managed to upgrade the memory and fit a cd re writer to it.

I can't run the setup program on the CD from because it says it cannot run in MS DOS mode.

How can I make a boot disk that is compatable with NTFS to run the setup program?

Rep will be given.

Thanks
AT82
Rep:
?
Downloading somthing from Microsoft which should solve the problem.
LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think the links on this page will help you, (you are trying to use windows arn't you)

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
The computer has finaly come but it has MS DOS 7.0 on it (WIN98 command prompt) and there is no option in the BIOS to boot from CD (this is an IBM). Managed to upgrade the memory and fit a cd re writer to it.

I can't run the setup program on the CD from because it says it cannot run in MS DOS mode.

How can I make a boot disk that is compatable with NTFS to run the setup program?

Rep will be given.

Thanks
You just need a MS-DOS boot disk with CD-ROM support..... http://www.bootdisk.com. Boot into DOS, recreate the partitions and then format c: as FAT32. Fire up the WinXP cd and run through setup selecting NTFS if required.

EDIT - sorry I didn't read the question properly....I thought you were having problems cos you couldn't boot from the CD.
AT82
Rep:
?
I can't, Microsofts thing didn't work, I can access my CD drive when I boot from an MS DOS boot partition on drive C:

I can't make the bootable drive C: though in the BIOS, and when I run the setup program by typing in d:\setup.exe it comes with "cannot rin in MS-DOS mode"

LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if the microsoft floppy disk setup thing doesn't work then i guess you're screwed.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by pig)
Was this what you downloaded (or this one for xp home)?
Yep I downloaded the one for Pro as thats what I am trying to install, it came up with "hard error in nt somthing .dll"

Why do I have a horrible feeling this PC is only useful for parts? :mad:
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by pig)
If all else fails, you could put the hard drive into a machine with a bootable CD drive, install xp, then return the drive to the machine with the non-bootable CD drive. As long as the hard drive is on the same channel so that the boot.ini is correct it should work shouldn't it?
Yep I really only want to have to this as a last resort though, its an IBM so getting to the hard drive involves scrwing millions of different parts out. The hard drive is very well hidden, dosn't XP choose all the right drivers while it is installing though? As the IBM is very different to AMD machine I will would have to install it on.
AT82
Rep:
?
I've found some better quality disks so I am hoping it may have just beed a disk read I/O error before, hopefully Microsofts boot disk may work, my floppy disks are very old so this may be causing the problem.

In future I am only building my own PCS :P
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
If all else fails, you could put the hard drive into a machine with a bootable CD drive, install xp, then return the drive to the machine with the non-bootable CD drive. As long as the hard drive is on the same channel so that the boot.ini is correct it should work shouldn't it?
Ive tried this a a few times before and XP doesnt like finding a whole new Motherboard. I think it worked on earlier version of windows.

Ive tried it twice where it didnt work and once when it did (but both machines had exactly the same mobo's)
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
It'll probably be a bit weird the first time you start it up in the IBM as it'll think you've switched all the hardware around. But it should be ok once you've removed traces of the hardware it detected in the other machine and set up the actual installed hardware properly.
Yeah we used to do this in work....swap out the hard-drive and install XP on it. When you get to the stage where it is about to reboot turn off the computer and put the hard-drive back into the problem PC. When it restarts it will then go onto to configure itself for that PC without knowing the computer has changed.
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Yeah we used to do this in work....swap out the hard-drive and install XP on it. When you get to the stage where it is about to reboot turn off the computer and put the hard-drive back into the problem PC. When it restarts it will then go onto to configure itself for that PC without knowing the computer has changed.
ahh i see, thats a good idea.
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Oh, it's worked whenever I've done it, and with entirely different motherboards. It wasn't anything to do with wpa was it? IIRC I just had to remove a few devices from device manager and let it install a few others.
It wouldnt even let me into windows when i tired it, I just got the blue screen of death.

NikNaks idea is good, just do the first stage of the install, where it loads the install files onto the hard drive and then replace the harddrive into the original machine when the installation takes place
AT82
Rep:
?
It looks like I am going to have to this, however I am going to replace the floppy drive on the problem PC as it on either disk 5 or disk 6 it comes up with an error.

Also will it help if I competly format the drive on the problem PC?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Baron)

NikNaks idea is good, just do the first stage of the install, where it loads the install files onto the hard drive and then replace the harddrive into the original machine when the installation takes place
Well pig brought it up in this thread....I just expanded on the idea! hehe

It does work a treat though!
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did little research. The swapping motherboard thing seems to sometimes work and sometimes not.

Bottom line here is that it MAY work, it MAY NOT. It just depends on the hardware and Windows "view" of it.
I've been successful about 50% of the time in this.
Microsoft has stated that an upgrade like a motherboard swap (all other things remaining the same) should not force the user to reactivate Windows XP. As it turns out, that's not quite true, although the problem seems to be related to glitches in the operating system, not any conspiracy on Microsoft's part. However, the technical issues surrounding this are enough to make you tear your hair out--and worry about losing valuable data--so I thought I'd share my experience.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Also will it help if I competly format the drive on the problem PC?
It would be worth trying that first before dismantling it because it might work.
AT82
Rep:
?
It would be worth trying that first before dismantling it because it might work.
Just found another tip on the internet and so far (touch wood) its working, in the i386 directory of the XP CD there is a program called WINNT.exe this apparantly allows you install XP within the MS-DOS environment.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Just found another tip on the internet and so far (touch wood) its working, in the i386 directory of the XP CD there is a program called WINNT.exe this apparantly allows you install XP within the MS-DOS environment.
Coool! Now you mention that I remember reading about that when I did my WinXP MCSE....doh! Since going to uni I have forgotten everything about anything computer related! hehe

WINNT.exe is for 16bit operating systems.

Anyway, glad it's sorted!
AT82
Rep:
?
Coool! Now you mention that I remember reading about that when I did my WinXP MCSE....doh! Since going to uni I have forgotten everything about anything computer related! hehe

WINNT.exe is for 16bit operating systems.

Anyway, glad it's sorted!
I may have messed it up becuase smartdrive is not installed and its taking for ever just to copy some files. I know what you mean about forgetting stuff, I've forgoton everything I once knew about project management.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed