Do you think that we need a royal family? Watch

This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How much do we pay out for the royal family and associated hangers on in relation to how much revenue they bring in?
I just hate the idea that we pay for anyone to have an amazingly priviledged right for no reason other than birth. Achievement yes birth no.
parsimony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well my country does not have a royal familly and i can not really say we would miss them

on the other hand..here in Japan..I guess the royal family is pretty important for people..
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Your country is?
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Slovakia my country is very young..only 14years old
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by parsimony)
Cool.

I wonder if there are any non-UK based visitors whose country has a monarchy? If so would be interested in hearing their views on this matter.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
caramello (my class mate) she is danish-japanese (both coutries have royal family) i can ask her to post her opinion here
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Awesome. My great-grandparents were from there. I think you're the first slovak i've seen on TSR.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Awesome. My great-grandparents were from there. I think you're the first slovak i've seen on TSR.
(well there was Czechoslovakia before..and slovaks have been around for very long but we created our recent state on 01.01.1991 )

actually there is one more..Stevko
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
caramello (my class mate) she is danish-japanese (both coutries have royal family) i can ask her to post her opinion here
Cool. I think we have some Dutch users, along with Swedish.
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
omg...
you lot that said "no" in the poll don't know how old this thing is!
it's like shakespearian times, medieval even!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by heminder)
omg...
you lot that said "no" in the poll don't know how old this thing is!
it's like shakespearian times, medieval even!
Monarchies themselves have lasted for millenia on this island.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(well there was Czechoslovakia before..and slovaks have been around for very long but we created our recent state on 01.01.1991 )

actually there is one more..Stevko
Well, they were from the eastern part of Czechoslovakia, and they always considered themselves Slovaks (they died before its independence).
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This arguement that they cost the taxpayer a lot is actually a load of codswallop.

The British Monarchy cost the average taxpayer 79p in 1998, so I'd imagine it's nearer a pound now, but still! One Whole Pound!.... A Year!

Not very much is it? And as for this arguement that 'people dont come to the UK to stand in front of Buckingham palace'; they may not. But the British monarchy as an institution and the culture of the UK - which are both massively intertwined - is obviously an attraction to foreigners, especially Americans. Any claim that a Republic of GBNI would be so popular is rubbish.
TKR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wouldn't we have to spend quite a bit of money electing and supporting a different head of state anyway? at least the heads of state now are usually born with a little class... or would you rather have the army swear alleaigance to the prime minister?!
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well the generally 'presidents' cost more to uphold than monarchs. The Irish presidency is about £1.50 /person/year. I think the Italian is a bit less [edit: than the Irish], and God knows how much the US presidency costs. So yes.
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I personally see no point in the Ryal Family anymore as they no longer have any real power. Although I do feel that Royal Navy/Royal Air Force sounds better than UK Air Force/UK Navy. Also, if we abolish the monarchy, would we have to stop saying UK as it is no longer a Kingdom? :confused:
bricktops
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
we already have one
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bricktops)
we already have one
one what?
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
would we have to stop saying UK as it is no longer a Kingdom?
Lol. yes, how does this sound;

The Republic Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - I dont know waht the abbreviation would be? United Republic maybe? .... Then it would be United Republic of GBNI, lol sounds rubbish.

I dont know why people want to abolish them to be honest. Im massively proud that we kept our monarchy when most of the rest of Europe became republics - and in many cases were plunged into tyranny. Its not as if we're opressed at all.
GreenMonstrosity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gentilhomme)
i have nothing against them but do you think that the royal family should exist.
Argument for getting rid of the R Family

Given that they cosumme soooooooooo much taxpayers money getting rid of them could save use bilions or at least havee better service from the governement.

Argument against:

It is a living patrimony of our country so we should keep it.
The Queen costs 61p per person.

The Monarch is above the fray. S/he acts as a mediator in the absence of political consensus. For those who think the Monarch's role is purely ceremonial, it is worth remembering that King George V at one point took personal control of the government when the running of the country was threatened by political disunity. The monarchy provides a very real mechanism for political (and social) continuity and acts as a constant during any political change (the current Queen Elizabeth was influential in continuing Callaghan's foreign policy in Britain's Southern African colonies once thatcher came into power). While Monarchs in Britain have nowhere near the power they once held, they have a very real function. In fact it is a convenient myth that the monarch is "just a figurehead".

Parliament appoints the monarch. As with so much in British government, it is really only convention (but by no means "law") that the Monarch's eldest Male Son, (or daughter) succeeds. Succession to the British throne is restricted by the Act of Settlement to Protestant descendants of Sophia, Electress of Hanover, with male heirs having precedence over females, and those who have married a Roman Catholic excluded, though there have been moves to amend these restrictions in recent years. The Act also states that Parliament, and not the Monarch, has the power to name the successor. Since before the Norman Conquest our Kings and Queens have always been crowned by acclamation rather than simply by coronation or proclamation. Personally I really do believe in the necessity for having The Crown as a "fount of all powers"; a metonym for the state so to speak. Thomas Hobbes perfectly defines the benefits of a single fount of power.

I personally feel the monarchy is a necessary Constitutional safeguard largely because at any time, the most powerful person in the country cannot exercise their power, while the most "actively" powerful person cannot excercise certain powers. In other words, the Prime Minister is not the highest authority, ensuring to an extent that there is a limit to the actions he or she can take. The armed forces swear allegiance to the Monarch not to the Prime Minister. Remember that next time you clamour for a president
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads