Watch
This discussion is closed.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
No (I'm only answering for me of course, not everyone else)
could you please give some good arguments why one should have progressive tax instead of flat tax?
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Not me.

If I was earning £100k I'd be more than happy for half of it go towards the society that got me there in the first place...and to make sure that people working their arses off for £5ph pay as little tax as possible.
Well, the problem in Norway is that the rich pay no tax, the poor pay some tax, and the middle part pays a lot of tax... If flat taxation could become a real alternative, there would of course be a minimum amount you would have to earn in order to pay tax at all, so the £5ph argument isn't really valid. And you might be happy to pay 50% tax (like my parents do), but other people ,the richest people, like Kjell Inge Røkke, are not. Which is why he officaly moved from Norway, he just "work here".
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i think progressive taxation is ok as long as the steps arent too large. as i said, low for the poor (eg. 10%), middling for the middling classes (lol how vague) (eg. 30%) and a bit more for the rich (eg. 40%).

i would also abolish NICs and increase income tax in its place (its just a bureaucratic swindle to get more income tax so we might as well make this transparent), and perhaps make up some of the difference from lower overall taxes by rounding off VAT from 17.5% to 20%. tax on consumption rather than income seems fairer.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
could you please give some good arguments why one should have progressive tax instead of flat tax?
I'll be happy to have a detailed discussion about the topic once I get back from town (at around midnight our time) but for now I'm off to spend some of my hard earned money on some liquid refreshment xthup.

It basically comes down to a general ideological feeling that somewhere earning £10,000 p/a has more "need" for that £10,000 than someone earning £1m p/a would have for that same amount of money.

P.S What international school are you currently attending? (I'm at the International School of Geneva....)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
i think progressive taxation is ok as long as the steps arent too large. as i said, low for the poor (eg. 10%), middling for the middling classes (lol how vague) (eg. 30%) and a bit more for the rich (eg. 40%).

i would also abolish NICs and increase income tax in its place (its just a bureaucratic swindle to get more income tax so we might as well make this transparent), and perhaps make up some of the difference from lower overall taxes by rounding off VAT from 17.5% to 20%. tax on consumption rather than income seems fairer.
Sounds pretty straight forward...I'd also get rid of tax exemption benefits (mainly on pensions) for the ultra rich and I would completely remove the cap on NICs (atm someone earning £40,000pa and someone earning £400,000pa pay exactly the same amount in NICs...well slightly more since the 1% rise in April but it's still a rediculous exemption.

<tree hugging greeny>
I'd also tax waste seperately from council tax. Produce a lot of non-recycleable waste and you pay a lot of tax...and businesses that produce products with excess packaging would be forced to reduce the amount of plastics they waste or face reduced sales.

And I'd increase the steps in car tax based on engine size to make owning a car with an engine bigger than ~2 litres completely uneconomical and the luxury that it is.

Oh and I'd give the environment agency and the national rivers association (or whatever the A stands for) greater powers to prosecute polluters for greater amounts.

And I'd put a small tax on energy to be implemented very slowly over time (so as not to produce the "the pensioners will freeze" rubbish spouted when VAT on fuel was proposed) to encourage more energy saving...with exemptions on energy from renewable sources.
</tree hugging greeny>
not1
Rep:
?
ooo you sound quite reasonable there. would you like to be my chancellor when i form a government?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
ooo you sound quite reasonable there. would you like to be my chancellor when i form a government?
Not if it means I have to be a tory
not1
Rep:
?
Not if it means I have to be a tory
hehe im sure my tory party will be a place everyone wants to join
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
I'll be happy to have a detailed discussion about the topic once I get back from town (at around midnight our time) but for now I'm off to spend some of my hard earned money on some liquid refreshment xthup.

It basically comes down to a general ideological feeling that somewhere earning £10,000 p/a has more "need" for that £10,000 than someone earning £1m p/a would have for that same amount of money.

P.S What international school are you currently attending? (I'm at the International School of Geneva....)
Not at an international school actually, but a Norwegian public/state-owned school (in Oslo).
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Not at an international school actually, but a Norwegian public/state-owned school (in Oslo).
Ah ok, my mistake.
BABOON
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
WOW wait a mo, u said that the richest in Norway dont pat tax, how come?
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
... was that before or after the recession threat?
what recession threat?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Not me.

If I was earning £100k I'd be more than happy for half of it go towards the society that got me there in the first place...and to make sure that people working their arses off for £5ph pay as little tax as possible.
Im 17 and get paid 3.73 an hour. It should go up to about 4.64 when Im 18, but I still get National Insurance taken off me when I go over 88 pounds a week (I get paid weekly ... if I got paid monthy Id never go over 88 x 4).

And by the way, to the person that said u could fill out a form, for NI you cant, only for Tax being taken off. Once youve had NI insurance taken off you cant reclaim it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
After 17 years of Tory underfunding, leaving Tonys accounts in a right mess - there had to be an increase in taxes. The Tories had left us in LOADS of debt, and the tax you are paying right now is to pay for that debt.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
After 17 years of Tory underfunding, leaving Tonys accounts in a right mess - there had to be an increase in taxes. The Tories had left us in LOADS of debt, and the tax you are paying right now is to pay for that debt.
how on earth did you come to that generalisation?
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
how on earth did you come to that generalisation?
It is reality.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what recession threat?
Hmm.... let me see....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1790515.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2230607.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...is/1884159.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1795985.stm
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

if you can point out when the US had more than two successive quarters of decline in GDP...?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
if you can point out when the US had more than two successive quarters of decline in GDP...?
No, I'm not an economist, therefore I believe what I have seen and heard time and time again: America was close to (if not in) recession.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
No, I'm not an economist, therefore I believe what I have seen and heard time and time again: America was close to (if not in) recession.
it was certainly close. and was in an economic slump, but a recession did not happen. the media like to confuse slump with recession.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (265)
51.86%
No (246)
48.14%

Watched Threads