Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The heating in my room is broken so I am using a portable heater and I wanted to know how safe it was to leave it on overnight (Obviously I won't be covering it.). I don't want to be burned to death! :eek:
    I've never used one before!

ReputationRep:
    should be safe unless its a really old one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    The heating in my room is broken so I am using a portable heater and I wanted to know how safe it was to leave it on overnight (Obviously I won't be covering it.). I don't want to be burned to death! :eek:
    I have a portable heater in my room and it is safe to keep on for long periods without anything happening, but I don't actually use it whilst I am in bed.

it should have a thermal overload on it. if it does then it will siwtch off before it gets hot enough to cause a fire

and whats wrong with the heating?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Make sure it's well away from everything else in the room so that something doesnt fall on it and start a fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Make sure it's well away from everything else in the room so that something doesnt fall on it and start a fire.
    tru, you better tuck those petrol cans away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    it should have a thermal overload on it. if it does then it will siwtch off before it gets hot enough to cause a fire

and whats wrong with the heating?
    Usually have underfloor heating but there's a notice in the hall saying it's being fixed over the weekend. We all have these funny little heaters in our room anyway in case we get cold (which is funny really because the room is so hot from the underfloor heating that I have to keep my window open all the time and wear very few layers even in the middle of winter)

Usually have underfloor heating but there's a notice in the hall saying it's being fixed over the weekend. We all have these funny little heaters in our room anyway in case we get cold (which is funny really because the room is so hot from the underfloor heating that I have to keep my window open all the time and wear very few layers even in the middle of winter)
    you should complain. tell them to put a plug on the underfloor heating (if electric) so u can get it workin

(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    tru, you better tuck those petrol cans away
    y? itll be warmer

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't keep it on if i were you. If something falls on it or something....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    you should complain. tell them to put a plug on the underfloor heating (if electric) so u can get it workin
    They left notices saying it's being repaired. What good would complaining do?

I suppose I'll just have to keep it on as long as possible and snuggle up in my pjs with my warm teddy

ReputationRep:
    They left notices saying it's being repaired. What good would complaining do?

I suppose I'll just have to keep it on as long as possible and snuggle up in my pjs with my warm teddy

Or get your boyfriend to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

Or get your boyfriend to help
    *quivering lip*

i'm all alone

ReputationRep:
    *quivering lip*

i'm all alone
    Tonight? or on a long term basis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Tonight? or on a long term basis
    till monday

ReputationRep:
    till monday

Lol oh dear oh dear....I haven't seen my boyfriend since Xmas...but he is coming down from Nottingham for Valentines day.

ReputationRep:
    How old is this electric heater and what kind is it? If its a new one it should be safe, just make sure its not too close to anything, if its anything more than ten years old I wouldn't trust it to be honest especialy if its never been serviced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    How old is this electric heater and what kind is it? If its a new one it should be safe, just make sure its not too close to anything, if its anything more than ten years old I wouldn't trust it to be honest especialy if its never been serviced.
    It's a new one and because it's college property it has a sticker saying it was tested only 6 months ago. It's safe in itself, I've just never used one before so I don't know what's safe and isn't safe generally .

Well, after this thread I do

ReputationRep:
    It's a new one and because it's college property it has a sticker saying it was tested only 6 months ago. It's safe in itself, I've just never used one before so I don't know what's safe and isn't safe generally .

Well, after this thread I do
    You have nothing to worry about then, its just common sense, as longs as its relativly free standing (i.e not next to a wall unless its designed for it and not next to curtains) it will be fine.

Perhaps put it on a lower setting rather than on full though otherwise you might get too hot.

ReputationRep:
    use it and find out...

if it all goes off without a hitch its safe...

if it blows up it isnt

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.