Receiving texts whilst abroad.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Does anyone know if you have to pay to receive texts when you are in obscure places around the world....cos I've been texting my friend who is on his gap year travelling all round the world, he is in Namibia at the moment, but someone told me he would have to pay to receive my texts- is this true?? I'm not sure what phone network he is on but I know its pay as you go...

Any help would be great. Sorry for posting this in general chat, I wasn't sure where to put it but I'm sure that it will get moved in due couse if it needs to!!

Ruthie xx
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
Does anyone know if you have to pay to receive texts when you are in obscure places around the world....cos I've been texting my friend who is on his gap year travelling all round the world, he is in Namibia at the moment, but someone told me he would have to pay to receive my texts- is this true?? I'm not sure what phone network he is on but I know its pay as you go...

Any help would be great. Sorry for posting this in general chat, I wasn't sure where to put it but I'm sure that it will get moved in due couse if it needs to!!

Ruthie xx
Yup he gets charged. I am not sure how much though- it depends on the network and the country he is in.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by visesh)
Yup he gets charged. I am not sure how much though- it depends on the network and the country he is in.
really?? are you sure???
MorbidAngel
Report 14 years ago
really?? are you sure???
AFAIK you have to pay to receive phone calls and SMS whilst abroad
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
really?? are you sure???
Yeah... I got billed a LOT when I went abroad.

Like andrew says, you get billed for receiving calls and texts.
Ynox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
texts are free to receive.

Will cost you to receive calls though.
Sparkey
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was last in Spain it cost 50p for every Txt I recieved
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what networks do you use?

I use vodafone (anytime 100) and get charged 35p to send a text from most countries to the UK....50p to receive one is extortionate considering you have no control as to whether you receive a text or not, whereas you can decline to answer a call when roaming.
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
People get charged for receiving TEXTS abroad? hell. I've never EVER been charged, on both 02 and virgin.
It might have something to do with roaming in the EU or any other country which also has the same network. I was charged for receiving texts in a country where my network wasn't available- my phone auto-selected the local network.
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
mine does that too.
Oh what country were you in if you don't mind me asking? I got billed in Saudi Arabia, and my friend's have been billed from some African countries like Malawi I think.
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
for what its worth i've never been billed in all of the EU (incl poland, hungary, slovakia, czech republic), Morocco or the USA.
babybaby6660808
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
argh, just in europe. although my dad's in the USA and china all the time, and he doesn't get billed.
you can also call overseas free in the UK. 07744974351 use your cross network minutes!!(not 3G, Single point,vodafone)

To:TSR--Blissy
I am not advertising,I am only helping people here.Please do not misunderstand me!!
Thanks in advance.Blissy
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You don't if you're with Voda. I'm with Vodaphone and can receive texts from the UK free of charge, it's pretty kool
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i've been to france, spain, portugal, asia.........and on voda, o2, orange, t-mobile.....and NONE of them charge for RECEIVING texts. obviously it costs to receive calls and sending txts which r very expensive! 50p mostly i think.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On Orange PAYG, it's free to receive text messages abroad. I would imagine that it's the same for other networks.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil)
On Orange PAYG, it's free to receive text messages abroad. I would imagine that it's the same for other networks.

see thats what i thought... but now people are making me worried....
surely its not fair to charge you for something you have no control over- eg with calls you can rejct them, and making calls or sending texts is your decision...receiving texts from something you have signed up to which you are charged for is also diferent- but how can you stop people texting you??

It makes no sense to me if you get charged for receiving them....

I'm confused!!

Ruthie xx
lil_crazyflakes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm on vodafone and i got charged 50p per text when in Tunisia. Also i didn't just pay like 5p a minute to receive calls, the receiver pays the whole charge! I didn't realise and although i made no calls myself i ended up with a £476 phone bill when i got back Won't be making that mistake again x
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
see thats what i thought... but now people are making me worried....
surely its not fair to charge you for something you have no control over- eg with calls you can rejct them, and making calls or sending texts is your decision...receiving texts from something you have signed up to which you are charged for is also diferent- but how can you stop people texting you??

It makes no sense to me if you get charged for receiving them....

I'm confused!!

Ruthie xx

look, u don't get charged for receiving...just chill!! it's fine!
JMP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wrong, I got charged for recieving when in France over New Year, but only for about 10/50 messages I sent. When I queried this they said it is policy to not charge, but if messages go on certain networks before reaching you (you have No control over this) then you may be charged (it was only ~4p a message). In a way its luck of the draw. I'm on O2 Paymonthly £25 btw.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JasonPaver)
Wrong, I got charged for recieving when in France over New Year, but only for about 10/50 messages I sent. When I queried this they said it is policy to not charge, but if messages go on certain networks before reaching you (you have No control over this) then you may be charged (it was only ~4p a message). In a way its luck of the draw. I'm on O2 Paymonthly £25 btw.
well i've been using o2 for the past 3 years, and been to 5 different places including france, and have not been charged once.......unlucky u!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads