This discussion is closed.
alio~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi could anyone give me any advice or tips on how to play guitar? (acoustic) Firstly my guitars not tuned right and i have no tuner are there any sites with tuners on lol. I can only change between 3 chords but know about 5 :p:
I just wanna play a song ive an idea on how to read tabs but yet when i play them it sounds nothing like the song :confused: (even when it was tuned right)
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's probably easiest to but a decent tuner, they don't cost much.
Sparkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://www.playrecord.net/resource/free-guitar-tuner/

Guitar Tuner ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tune it by ear
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alio~)
hi could anyone give me any advice or tips on how to play guitar? (acoustic) Firstly my guitars not tuned right and i have no tuner are there any sites with tuners on lol. I can only change between 3 chords but know about 5 :p:
I just wanna play a song ive an idea on how to read tabs but yet when i play them it sounds nothing like the song :confused: (even when it was tuned right)
Yes for a start buy an electronic tuner otherwise it will sound terrible. There are some websites that have soundbites of each string correctly tuned but buying an electronic one (with built-in microphone) is best.

You will find that when you first start playing the guitar, you may not be able to get chords to sound like they should. This is normally to do with not pressing down the strings properly....this is something that will improve with practice. I remember years ago when I started playing it can get painful pressing down hard enough to get a clean sound but as you keep trying you build up the strength in your hands.

Also ensure that when struming you do so cleanly, stroking each string rather than missing any.

It is also an idea to look around on a few 'learning tabs' websites to ensure you are reading them correctly.

In short....practice practice practice....you have to be patient and determined to get good at the guitar!

Hope that helps a little Good luck!
alio~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparkey)
http://www.playrecord.net/resource/free-guitar-tuner/

Guitar Tuner ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hey thanks
alio~
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
Yes for a start buy an electronic tuner otherwise it will sound terrible. There are some websites that have soundbites of each string correctly tuned but buying an electronic one (with built-in microphone) is best.

You will find that when you first start playing the guitar, you may not be able to get chords to sound like they should. This is normally to do with not pressing down the strings properly....this is something that will improve with practice. I remember years ago when I started playing it can get painful pressing down hard enough to get a clean sound but as you keep trying you build up the strength in your hands.

Also ensure that when struming you do so cleanly, stroking each string rather than missing any.

It is also an idea to look around on a few 'learning tabs' websites to ensure you are reading them correctly.

In short....practice practice practice....you have to be patient and determined to get good at the guitar!

Hope that helps a little Good luck!
ok thanks ive had the guitar for months but keep going back to it after it starts to annoy me :p:
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alio~)
ok thanks ive had the guitar for months but keep going back to it after it starts to annoy me :p:

I have a word document with all the notes of the guitar on a different computer - I'll give them to you tommorrow if you want
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you can, learn to tune by ear. Even if you can do this I'd still recommend you buy a tuner sometime. They are more precise than any ear...

I remember when I learned to play guitar first Played acoustic for 6 months or so before going electric, before switching to bass... ahh memories :cool: Sorry I've forgotten everything about guitar I can tell you anything about basses though
alio~
Rep:
?
(Original post by historyhoney)
I have a word document with all the notes of the guitar on a different computer - I'll give them to you tommorrow if you want
thanks that would be great
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
If you can, learn to tune by ear. Even if you can do this I'd still recommend you buy a tuner sometime. They are more precise than any ear...

I remember when I learned to play guitar first Played acoustic for 6 months or so before going electric, before switching to bass... ahh memories :cool: Sorry I've forgotten everything about guitar I can tell you anything about basses though
U just need to tune E then tune the rest by finding the right fret (the guitar is like the other side of the room so more helpful infomration will come when I am awake! lol
alio~
Rep:
?

lol ive no chance by ear i don't even know what each string is supposed to sound like. cool i wouldn't mind trying electric if i ever master this
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alio~)
lol ive no chance by ear i don't even know what each string is supposed to sound like. cool i wouldn't mind trying electric if i ever master this

Just remember

Every
Apple
Does
Go
Bad
Eventually
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lies :'(
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Lies :'(
Sorry, but they are :p: Even those blessed with perfect pitch! I'm not saying you can't get it in tune by ear... of course you can! But more often than not it's quicker with a tuner. If it wasn't, nobody would buy them
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
U just need to tune E then tune the rest by finding the right fret (the guitar is like the other side of the room so more helpful infomration will come when I am awake! lol
I know But that's not what I was saying
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sorry, but they are :p: Even those blessed with perfect pitch! I'm not saying you can't get it in tune by ear... of course you can! But more often than not it's quicker with a tuner. If it wasn't, nobody would buy them
Apart from people who can't tune by ear :p:
Sparkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just remember

Every
Apple
Does
Go
Bad
Eventually
Or:

Every
Angry
Dad
Gets
Bauld
Eventually

:rofl:

Sorry
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think this site tells you how to read tabs, there are also heaps of songs on here to learn also: http://www.fretplay.com
There is a way of tuning a guitar, if only one strin is in tune. I don't knwo how to explain it though.
You can find tuners on the net, you only need a mic to your pc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads