Turn on thread page Beta

I have only been doing AS levels for half a term and I hate mine already. Mainly because I think I have too narrow subject area. I take History of Art, English Literature, French and Religion & Philosophy AS levels, and intend[ed] to continue the latter for A2.

BUT I now regret not taking a science subject. I got A grades in double science and maths (and German and English Language) and five other A*s at GCSE (Eng Lit, Business Studies, French, Religious Stds and HE). But my damn grammar school frowns a bit on people who only got an A taking maths because it's 'a bit too hard'.

Would I manage an AS level Maths next year, because it's too late to change now - and would there even be any point in only getting an AS level. I want to do a law or law and accountancy course? Or maybe I could do AS level Economics or Chemistry?

I feel like I chose so badly and now have no chance of going anywhere decent - everyone says science subjects are more generally respectable than arts and I'm already resenting my subjects and myself for chosing them.

If you can make any sense of that crap I have just written, I would be grateful for any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I have only been doing AS levels for half a term and I hate mine already. Mainly because I think I have too narrow subject area. I take History of Art, English Literature, French and Religion & Philosophy AS levels, and intend[ed] to continue the latter for A2.

BUT I now regret not taking a science subject. I got A grades in double science and maths (and German and English Language) and five other A*s at GCSE (Eng Lit, Business Studies, French, Religious Stds and HE). But my damn grammar school frowns a bit on people who only got an A taking maths because it's 'a bit too hard'.

Would I manage an AS level Maths next year, because it's too late to change now - and would there even be any point in only getting an AS level. I want to do a law or law and accountancy course? Or maybe I could do AS level Economics or Chemistry?

I feel like I chose so badly and now have no chance of going anywhere decent - everyone says science subjects are more generally respectable than arts and I'm already resenting my subjects and myself for chosing them.

If you can make any sense of that crap I have just written, I would be grateful for any ideas.

Do maths. Its pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could handle maths (especially if you only do AS) - I know plenty of people who have got A grades at GCSE who go on and get A's at AS/A.

I have had the same problem - after half a term I regret doing geography (in addition to Maths (Stats), Biology and Chemistry) because it is unbelievably boring. We all make mistakes sometimes...(or often in my case).

I apologise for my stupid avatar that I can't change.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really unhappy maybe your school WOULD let you change now? It's only half a term. My college lets 1st years change up until half term, so are you sure you can't change now?

I only really know about english lit from all your subjects.. but you're doing quite solid ones that wouldn't be disregarded by unis so don't worry too much about that. I know plenty of people who apply for law from a humanities/arts background. But if you want to apply for accountancy I'd do economics or maths, whichever is more relevant to the degree, to show you have skills in that area. There is no reason why you'd necessarily struggle with 'only' an A for maths GCSE, I'm sure plenty of people get less and cope fine with AS level!!

Try not to stress out too much, I hated all of my courses this time last year but I like them now.. imo AS levels are kind of like glorified GCSEs, once you get to the 2nd year (or even just later in the 1st year to be honest) you'll find them much more stimulating and enjoyable

Good luck!

(Original post by Ralfskini)
    Do maths. Its pretty easy.
    Teachers at my school tell me I could struggle quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Well the way I see it, there is little point of doing an AS in your second year unless your going to carry it out an extra year longer as how else will you be able to use it? Of course it'll look good to employers, but to universities I doubt it would mean anything near as much as a full A-Level in the subject. I have no idea how hard Maths is, but maybe the rule is there for a good reason it may be hard and you may be able / not able to get a decent grade in it. Plus there is extra pressures in the final year and starting a new AS Level wont help. You could completly scrap doing A-Levels this year and apply to a college next year or just accept your choices and try to make the best out of them, if you think negative about them you wont do fantastic in them.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers at my school tell me I could struggle quite a bit.
    Don't make your mind up based on them!! Ask some people who are doing it what it's like, i'm sure there are others who got As for GCSE and are doing fine!!

I don't know what I should do. I'm not leaving school- my school is a very good one and there aren't really any good colleges in the area. Surely AS level maths would be better than nothing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    I have had the same problem - after half a term I regret doing geography (in addition to Maths (Stats), Biology and Chemistry) because it is unbelievably boring. We all make mistakes sometimes...(or often in my case).
    Yes, I regret doing Geography too

ReputationRep:
    if you want to talk to me about it mate, then i can help you if you like.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tek)
    Yes, I regret doing Geography too
    <nosy> Is the emphasis at AS/A2 more biased towards Human Geography (this is the impression I get from reading requests for help with geog work)...if so I'm not surprised it's boring. My GCSE geog teach had a BA in geog (ie a human geographer) and he was useless at teaching the physical geography stuff which wa sthe part I found interesting (although admittedly I didn't continue it to A level because I didn't want to go on a week long field trip to Weymouth with the teacher and the 4 lads who I knew where taking it....and because it had a coursework heavy marking scheme)

How are you finding maths Babyguy?

ReputationRep:
    what, frowning upon an A Grade in Maths? Are they insane? Maths is a tough, but capable subject, and getting an A at GCSE is fine. your school IS TALKING BOLLOX, and if you got A at GCSE, you are EASILY CAPABLE OF GETTING AN A AT A-LEVEL. i only got A AT gcse, BUT i will get grade A at in the full a-level, and so would you if you took it. i chose economics, computing, physics and psychology at the start at AS level. i hated psychology, and after 3 weeks i dropped it for amths, because i want to do physics at oxford uni.

* AND YES, I AM MASKALL, BUT I DONT GIVE A TOSS, BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE OFFENSIVE ASSSHOLES LIKE BHAAL IN HERE WHO POST REALLY RUDE STUFF AND SWEAR ALL THE TIME, THEN I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK. BHAAL SWEARS MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD, AND HE IS EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. I AM PROUD TO BE MASKALL.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    <nosy> Is the emphasis at AS/A2 more biased towards Human Geography (this is the impression I get from reading requests for help with geog work)...if so I'm not surprised it's boring. My GCSE geog teach had a BA in geog (ie a human geographer) and he was useless at teaching the physical geography stuff which wa sthe part I found interesting (although admittedly I didn't continue it to A level because I didn't want to go on a week long field trip to Weymouth with the teacher and the 4 lads who I knew where taking it....and because it had a coursework heavy marking scheme)
    I think it is a little biased towards the Human Side, although there is scope for investigating both aspects of Geography for the coursework section. Frankly, I find it too similar to GCSE to be enjoyable. And yes, the field trips are very inconvenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I think it is a little biased towards the Human Side, although there is scope for investigating both aspects of Geography for the coursework section. Frankly, I find it too similar to GCSE to be enjoyable. And yes, the field trips are very inconvenient.

Damn right its too like GCSE. Damn right the field trips are crap.

ReputationRep:
    "i DONT WANNA....TALK ABOUT IT........HOW YOU BROKE MY HEART..........IF I STAY, WONT YOU LIIISTEN..........IF I STAY WONT YOU LIIISTEN.............TO MY HEEEARRRT.........."

Freak Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The idea that you can't do A level Maths with an A at GCSE is complete rubbish! I got an A at GCSE, and an A at A level. (And I didn't even do any resits). Even if you get a B at GCSE, there's no reason you shouldn't do A level.

ReputationRep:
    Freak Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    ""The idea that you can't do A level Maths with an A at GCSE is complete rubbish! I got an A at GCSE, and an A at A level. (And I didn't even do any resits). ""

COMPLETELY TRUE MATE, COULDNT HAVE SUMMED IT UP BETTER BRO.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.