This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I got a package from my mum today and wondered why the postage cost so much for such a light parcel so I rang her. It turns out that half of the contents have been removed from the package. It was well secured and there is absolutely no way anything would have come out of it by mistake (not even by squeezing it). It seems that the only way the contents could have gone missing is if someone had poked around and pulled something out. Chocolate and a letter from the package has gone missing (and it was a letter containing important details about how I can get back an object I lost in France on my interrail trip which I thought I would never see again) so I am a bit upset.

Thinking back now, this isn't the first time I've spoken to my mum about the contents of uni-survivial parcels she's sent me and things have gone missing from them - sometimes I even get parcels with actual ripped holes in (and something has gone missing) and sometimes they have even been delivered opened to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that these parcels have been tampered with (so please don't try and tell me it was this machine or that postman stepping on it because I've thought of all eventualities). The question is - what can you do if you think your mail has been tampered with? Has this happened to anyone else?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
From royal mail:

If it looks as if your mail has been opened, this may be due to machine damage. However, do check whether anything is missing. We take the security of your mail seriously so please let us know if you think your mail has been tampered with. In addition, please keep the envelope, as it may be needed during our investigation.

Reporting a damaged item to us

The process for reporting a damaged item may include an inspection for insurance purposes. Please make sure you hold on to the damaged item and its packaging for our inspection team.

Please note that we can’t accept claims for the following items:

Damage to ceramics e.g. ornamental and decorative china or porcelain if it was sent using our Standard Parcel service. Please use Special Delivery for fragile items.
Banknotes, cheques and coins, tickets, vouchers and high value items – unless sent using Special Delivery

What would you like to do next?

You can report a problem regarding the delivery of your mail by completing the form at (removed link)
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that sucks...i hear about it a lot

never happened to me fortunately, but then i only sent quite large items usually that you couldnt really steal easily without someone noticing. usually they are recorded too
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't ever get mail.

Sorry to hear it though, i'd be straight down there complaining. Intimidate the youngest worker there and s/he might buckle and do something about it.
babylon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
did she not send by registered post?! special delivery is usually the best. i send items all the time, and it insures u for values up to £500 i think. can't remember. but i've sent lots of expensive things via post and there hasn't been a problem.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have an ex-postman friend and post going missing, or should I say falling into postys pockets is a regular occurance, this is also true of parcels. Your mum is best to send them by registered delivery this way it is tracked all the way to you.
blissy
Rep:
?
(Original post by wonkey)
did she not send by registered post?! special delivery is usually the best. i send items all the time, and it insures u for values up to £500 i think. can't remember. but i've sent lots of expensive things via post and there hasn't been a problem.
Don't worry she feels terrible enough about it as it is. It was only a letter, but one that contained details about a lost item I thought I would never get back.

Luckily we have just been doing a major investigation and my mum rang her friend in France and she's going to go to the found objects centre in Toulouse to try and recover it in person.

It just don't understand the mentality of these people - why steal something as petty as chocolate and in the process risk losing their job? WHy open packages in the search for something good and spoil the service for everyone else. GRrrrr. I hate thieves and criminals :mad:
MorbidAngel
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I don't ever get mail.
its all in a warehouse somewhere
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
blissy, there's something seriously weird going on with that website's security. i just reloaded the page on my browser and it came up with this....

(i've deleted your details)..

Edit: Does anyone know how this could have happened?
Attached files
blissy
Rep:
?
I've just reloaded it and I can see my mum's complaint!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I've just reloaded it and I can see my mum's complaint!
:eek: you might want to add that to the original complaint ! i could be a psychopathic stalker!
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Royal mail i receive is remarkably fast (4 days from Britain.) Better than Canada post.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't trust the royal mail as far as i could throw it, it is rubbish, and always will be, because of human nature - corrupt and lazy and negligent people will always exist, everywhere, and they will have jobs! I can't wait till they figure out how to send parcels by Email!
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thekillersrock)
I don't trust the royal mail as far as i could throw it, it is rubbish, and always will be, because of human nature - corrupt and lazy and negligent people will always exist, everywhere, and they will have jobs! I can't wait till they figure out how to send parcels by Email!
No I don't trust Royal Mail at the moment either. My dad's driving license has gone missing enroute to Banbury in the post...Very Odd!!

Good Luck with the complaint process!!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
The Royal mail i receive is remarkably fast (4 days from Britain.) Better than Canada post.
thats good...often takes 3-4 days for me to get the stuff and i live on the next island from the mainland UK...
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to the post office the other day to get a passport form, there were none left in the box so I had to queue up for like 20 minutes to get one. I asked the girl behind the counter and she said, sure I'll just get one. She brought it back, and as she handed it to me, I remembered, oh wait! my mum needs one as well! She chuckled, and fetched another one. We said our goodbyes and I went on my way. At no point did it occur to her to go and FILL UP the box with the passport application forms in! Man, people ****ing suck!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I ordered some body jewellery off the internet, and Royal Mail lost it. The company resent it me, but I don't see why they should have to pay for something that wasn't their fault. And when I complained to the Royal Mail they weren't interested until I got Postwatch involved, and then they sent me a letter addressed to Marie!
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is your name Marie?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thekillersrock)
is your name Marie?
Er, no. That was the point. It's also nothing like Marie.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, well then that's just silly!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads