The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

their uni name :London, SOAS
whether it is on campus or not Non-Campus
and the pros International reputation, Links with relevant organisations - Foreign and Commonwealth Office,MOD etc. Huge peer group as part of UoL, Huge range of languages available to study. Opportunity to join Britains largest OTC.
and cons of going there Small student grouping for specific college, lesser reputation natioally in terms of School itself, homogenous nature of student population in terms of subjects studied. Lack of campus and more sedate social scene as a result. Sporting facilities not quite magnificent.
Uni: Manchester

Campus?: No, but a campus feel with students everywhere in sight

Pros: Fantastic city and shopping, great nighlife, biggest student concentration in Europe, great reputation nationally and internationally, good facilities for everything you want...its just amazing!

Cons: erm...well its a big city so could be a bit daunting if not used to it...quite a high crime rate but no real difference to any other big city...lots of rain (but u get used 2 it!)
Uni name: Kent University

whether it is on campus or not:
Campus

and the pros: Very friendly university with a lot going on on-campus. Good sports facilities, nice accommodation. Nice lecture theatres and general computing facilites.

and cons of going there:
Canterbury isn't the most 'happening' place for students. Campus life can become a bit claustrophobic. Almost everyone seems to end up at Kent via clearing, or it was their insurance.
Reply 4
Uni name: University of Salford

whether it is on campus or not: Campus in the middle of a city

and the pros: Good for research, staff really care about their students, most lecturers are down to earth and not up them selves. The same applies with most of the students, good links with employers (apparantly), £100 million being spent on upgrading the campus, this includings many brand new state of the art buildings. The student union is very strong.

and cons of going there:
Area perceived as being rough, which is partly true, but the worst days are over. Some of the campus buildings need modernising but this will happen soon, mixed reputation depending on your view point. Didn't do too well in teaching assesment scores, union bars/shops expensive for the local area.
Reply 5
their uni name Dundee University

whether it is on campus or not A sort of mixture... i live off-campus, but the majority of halls are on campus (or very close)

and the pros great nightlife, really good union, a lot of flexibility with course taken, nice city (decent shops, clubs etc.), really pretty area (the view across the river is lovely), just over an hour away from glasgow/ edinburgh, nice halls (they're all being redone), great sports facilities, really studenty place, low livin costs (rent etc. is really cheap)

and cons of going there the weather (always windy), has a reputation for being full of neds, doing 3 subjects in 1st + 2nd year can be annoying if you know exactly what you want to do (i personally like it), it's a long way from home (although i can get a direct train to preston for £10), very few english people

lou xxx
Reply 6
lou p
[COLOR=Purple
(although i can get a direct train to preston for £10),
lou xxx

How can you do that? It costs 18 quid to get to Killie, even with a Young Person's Railcard!

And to the thread starter, everything the same as lou p lou said.
Reply 7
this is a good thread, keep the inside info coming :biggrin:
Reply 8
DRWallace
How can you do that? It costs 18 quid to get to Killie, even with a Young Person's Railcard!

And to the thread starter, everything the same as lou p lou said.

by booking 2 weeks in advance with a young persons railcard (unfortunately it doesn't often apply to the weekened trains)... even so it's still not that expensive, i'm going home for mothers day (after spending a night in lancaster at the bfs) and it's about £25 return

lou xxx
Reply 9
lou p

by booking 2 weeks in advance with a young persons railcard (unfortunately it doesn't often apply to the weekened trains)... even so it's still not that expensive, i'm going home for mothers day (after spending a night in lancaster at the bfs) and it's about £25 return

lou xxx

kool - sorry to be a pain - but I was hoping the thread wouldn't go off topic - sorry,

HH
Reply 10
Anyone else willing to contribute? Please help :smile:
Reply 11
This site is similar to this thread but in more detail. Take a look: http://www.studential.com/bio/default.asp
Reply 12
*I've copied this review from Studential, in trev's link above, but since I wrote it anyway I figure I may as well post it back here (it was on here somewhere before anyway!)*

University of East Anglia - campus uni

Pros: Good reputation, one of the top 20 uni's in league tables, great atmosphere, compact campus (you never have to walk far), one of the biggest and most active unions in the county (also has one of the biggest turnovers), attracts lots of big name bands, Norwich is a great city - small but has plenty of places to shop and loads of pubs and clubs all over the city centre, fantastic research facilities, uni is still expanding with many new facilities being built (a 5 floor extension to the library doubling the size of it is just about to begin this month), not too expensive, excellent sports facilities (50m olympic swimming pool, state of the art gym, climbing wall, marshall arts studio, huge sports hall that can be partitioned into three halls which are each a full size basketball court, proper athletics track), very good job prospects, loads of the courses offer a year abroad option, campus has a lovely meadow and lake which are nice in spring...

Bad points: Not the most attractive of campuses - LOTS of concrete (you have to see it to believe it), Norwich is miles from anywhere (meaning you can't go somewhere else for shopping/night out for a change), the male:female ratio is 2:3 (though not really a problem for blokes), the permanent building works are sometimes a distraction for those living near them (like me)....thats about it really. Oh and WaveneyTerrace is a bit of an eyesore (but thats ok cos it'll be knocked down soon).

As you can probably tell, i quite like the place. It just has the certain charm about it - it certainly won't win any prizes on it looks but the atmosphere is brilliant.
Reply 13
Uni: University of Bristol
Campus?: No
Pros: Gorgeous city, great reputation as a Uni, good spirit (especially in Stoke Bishop halls), just a great place to be a student.
Cons: Lots of hills (although you get used to them, and they give the place character), housing is relatively expensive compared to some places (~£60-75p/w excluding bills in the private sector). 30-40 minute walk into uni from the Stoke Bishop halls.
Reply 14
Uni: Oxford
Campus? No? Collegiate system.
Pros: Pretty, high academic rankings, lots of libraries, small classes.
Cons: Poor social life, definitely not the same as other unis. Workload means people stay in a lot!
Reply 15
Found this on that site, it is all pretty much true apart from there are more like 10-12K students and exams are now before christmas.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hull University Campus is situated about 5ish minute walk into town centre which is brilliant if you live on an on campus halls of residence in the first year as you don't need to get taxis after a heavy night out!!!!

Hull is one of the biggest Unis in the country I think there is about 20,000 students there at any one time so you will probably guess that there is a wide range of people and personalities there. Some you will think are a bit 'weird' but if you struggle to make friends there it would really surprise me!

The facilities are top notch, more computer clusters than you could shake a stick at and two massive main libraries with other exclusive departmental ones as well.

Another great thing about the uni is that once you're on campus for the day the biggest walk you will have to a lecture/seminar is about 10 minutes.

I am staying at Grant Hall in Hull this year. It's pretty good but the food tastes like my dog cooked it, wait a minute it tastes like my dog. There is the occasional decent meal but it keeps you alive I suppose. The good thing with the halls in Hull is that all 1st years are guaranteed a place in halls. I currently share a room which isn't as bad as you may think, I think its better than a single room because your room is generally bigger, I can see the drawback if you don't get on with your roommate but I haven’t had to think about that because we do get on really well.

As far as housing in the second year is concerned you shouldn't have any problem finding somewhere of good standard but don't expect the Ritz and don’t expect to be right on campus.

The course that I am doing (History) so far has been very challenging, it is also very interesting though, especially if you are interested in History.

All of the courses are split up into modules that have got an allotted number of credits. On my course the modules are taught over 120 credits and you have to pass 100 credits to get on to the 2nd year. You get 10 credit and 20 credit modules; the 10 credit modules are taught during 1 semester and the 20 credit modules across both semesters.

I am in Uni for 5-7 hours a week which sounds easy but the work is harder than you think and there is lots of reading to do too outside of lectures. You get some work to do over the holidays but you should also use the holidays for revision (which I didn't) or the exams will be a real chore.

As with most Uni's there are two exam periods each year, the first is straight after the Christmas break and the second is a couple of weeks into the final term (after the easter break)so don't expect an easy ride at Hull!

I enjoy some elements of the course but I have read some of the things that I will be doing next year and am looking forward to that a lot more!

Now, lets get to what Uni is all about, the social life!! OK its not what uni is all about but it is a big part of the life. I live in Newcastle which I read somewhere has the best night out in Britain but obviously the people who wrote that didn't bother to go to Hull, it's amazing! It doesn't matter what music you are into you will find somewhere really good that cateres for your musical tastes!

The union puts on a few good nights aswell but if you want a real good time head into town. you have got to be careful though, find out what deals are on where or might end up spending a fortune! But there is a student night somewhere every night so there shouldnt be much of a problem with money.

All in all Hull is a great place to go to uni but if you choose the wrong course you could end up hating it as you would with any uni.
Reply 16
Uni:

King's College, London

Campus/Non-Campus:

Non-Campus

Pro's:

studential.com
King's College London is an extraordinary place. Set in the center of London's Legal sector becoming a part of the King's community presents new students with opportunities which are available nowhere else.

King's has one of the finest legal libraries in the country and its library facilities are some of the best in London. The standard of teaching at King's is also extremely high: the law school boasts the talents of Prof. David Hayton and Prof. Tony Guest amongst many other internationally renowned academic giants.

The Student Union provides real Student Life Support. Tutu's nightclub has been Time Out's Number one London student venue, this is not difficult to understand given the high standard of entertainment and the amazing views over the Thames and the London Eye.

The Union does not lack in other areas either, with an enormous range of clubs and societies ranging from debating to Hip Hop.

Where King's law school does fall down is in the area of teaching facilities. King's Strand Campus is quite frankly run down though Guy's and Waterloo Campus both present top quality facilities and renovations are expected to begin on the Strand campus in the coming months.

The student's Union is also spending over a quarter of a million pounds on renovating its facilities and the first phase of will be complete by the start of term in September.

Also, there's the UoL factor which does well for you if you plan to work abroad. It also allows you to take modules at any college within UoL

Cons:

-Londons expensive for any student
-Lack of university feel due to city based campus
-Have to be careful regarding university owned accommodation (ranges from very nice to absolutely dire)
-Incredibly heavy workload for some subjects
-Some very hardworking students that constantly put you to shame :smile:
Uni: University of Wales Swansea

Campus: yes

Pros: The campus is next to the beach and is surrounded by Singleton Park.
It's on the edge of the Gower Peninsula, which has lots of other great beaches (popular with surfers) and is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Academic status is good, in both teaching and research - particular strengths are in Engineering and Foreign Languages, though my subject department (History) is also very good, as is Psychology and Classics & Ancient History (it's ones of only a very few universities to offer Egyptology) - also a new medical school has just opened. Facilities are very good, with subject libraries and computer rooms dotted around as well as the main library and computer area.
Sports facilities are excellent and the Athletic Union is strong. There's a very wide range of clubs, for both serious sportspeople and those simply having fun, and we've had a lot of successes - men's football and badminton have been extremely successful, and rugby and hockey only slightly less so. (Also, we've beaten Cardiff at the Welsh Varsity match 10 times out of the 11 since it's started!) The brand new Welsh National Pool also opened recently. There are also a number of sports scholarships awarded each year for elite athletes.
The city itself has pretty much anything you need - all the high street shops and more, bowling, cinemas, museums, theatre, etc, as well as the Maritime Quarter and traditional indoor market (I've never quite summed up the courage so far to try out cockles and laverbread, but I'm sure others will....) There is also a very large number of clubs and bars; the collection of bars in Wind Street are very popular at weekends, and the clubs and bars on the Kingsway are just as popular (and student-aimed) during the week. On campus, the main Union bar, Diva's, is also good.
The village of Mumbles is only a couple of miles away down Swansea Bay. It's most famous here for the lighthouse and for the Mumbles Mile, a popular bar crawl, but it's also a very nice place to visit generally (out of interest, it's also where Catherine Zeta Jones was born.)
Cardiff is only about an hour away if you feel the need.
The Student Union is strong - there's always lots of events going on, due to the large amounts of student societies and clubs. The Arts are strongly represented at the Taliesin Arts Centre and Annexe, you have nearly every facility you need on campus (club, bar, bank, theatre/cinema, post office, corner shop, bakery, bookshop, carvery, stationary shop, main S U shop, travel shop, coffee shops...), and it's small enough for you to always bump into someone you know!
I can also highly recommend the accommodation at the Student Village - I lived there last year and absolutely loved it. On campus new accommodation was opened this year, though obviously as I don't live there I don't know what it's like inside.

Cons: Swansea City isn't especially architecturally distinguished, though there are a few exceptions and personally I don't think it's too bad. The surroundings make up for it, anyway!
There should be auditions for the music groups, because at the moment there aren't and therefore the standard isn't quite as good as it could be.
Bikes (including mine last year grrrr!) are occasionally stolen, and there is also some car crime in some areas. There have also been a couple of reports of indecent exposure in Singleton Park.
Due to the mud, swimming in Swansea Bay isn't recommended (though you certainly can in the other beaches nearby!)
their uni name : University of Exeter
campus or city? Campus
the pros Great sporting facilities (top 10 BUSA), beautiful campus and countryside, active SU with lots of societies/events, near beach, warmer in winter, good academic reputation
cons of going there Expensive accommodation, Exeter can be boring if you're used to a big city, hills
Reply 19
Name of Uni - University of Liverpool
Campus - No, city university
Pros - very good across the board (especially medicine and vet science), lots of students in the city, Lots of nice buildings, Great city very bohemien lots of character, lots of student concessions, very cheap. loads going on with the capital of culture coming up, massive and very active students union, lots of fit girls
Cons - very cold and rainy, student bus service isnt fantastic, some quite rough areas,

Latest

Trending

Trending