The Student Room Group

Keen Oxford/cambridge People

Just asking, i mean like all the keen people in my school go to Oxford and Cambridge, and they are like really really good at their subjects. So deducing from that all the rest of the really keen people that goes to Cam/Ox as well. Meaning that in a lecture there will be like a meeting of UK's brightest students. Is that true? So is like everyone in Cam/Ox really hardworking, and like no fun at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
Just asking, i mean like all the keen people in my school go to Oxford and Cambridge, and they are like really really good at their subjects. So deducing from that all the rest of the really keen people that goes to Cam/Ox as well. Meaning that in a lecture there will be like a meeting of UK's brightest students. Is that true? So is like everyone in Cam/Ox really hardworking, and like no fun at all?

No.
Reply 2
Unregistered

Like, I don't know, like.
Reply 3
Think about it, the people going to Ox/Cam are really motivated and high achievers, so like in the lectures are they all like frantically scribbling down words or are they chilling and talking? I think the former is correct. So deducing again, we see that Cam/Ox=Place for high achievers/highly motivated people
Reply 4
you will find a big division. there are geeks, and their are the cooler, normal people, with personlity's aswell as brains.
Reply 5
"we see that Cam/Ox=Place for high achievers/highly motivated people"

certainly true mate, but being a highly motivated achiever is not the same as having no personality or fun. as i said, there is a divide in what people are like atox/cam,......but obviously they are all achievers.
Reply 6
Can you still study land economy at Cambridge?
Reply 7
I mean in those unis, will there be pressure for the students to do well? I mean if you were top in your school in your year in a subject (lets say) but in ox/cam, they will be like filled with the top achievers in their schools. So like really really keen people.
Reply 8
Unregistered
Think about it, the people going to Ox/Cam are really motivated and high achievers, so like in the lectures are they all like frantically scribbling down words or are they chilling and talking? I think the former is correct. So deducing again, we see that Cam/Ox=Place for high achievers/highly motivated people

there's a real spread, a lot of 'keen' people in lectures always sit at the front and are writing copious notes (even when the lecturer says no notes are needed because everythings in the handout). Then there are those who either don't bother going to lectures, or go to them but sleep, sit at the back, make no notes etc. I think I'm somewhere in the middle (probably closer to the latter).
Reply 9
But surely, you have to be like top of your school to go to OX/Cam and i dont know anyone who is like brainy but applies little effort. so is it like a spread of maily keen people, but with a few people who dont do a lot, can u give me some like guessed figures? also what is the handout? I ve heard that it is like a book list which you will never get through
DanMushMan
there's a real spread, a lot of 'keen' people in lectures always sit at the front and are writing copious notes (even when the lecturer says no notes are needed because everythings in the handout). Then there are those who either don't bother going to lectures, or go to them but sleep, sit at the back, make no notes etc. I think I'm somewhere in the middle (probably closer to the latter).

Can you actually get away with sleeping?!? Is it left that much to the individual to be motivated?
Toffee
Can you still study land economy at Cambridge?

yeh. you go far in it if you use the phrases 'chaps', darrrrrling and daddy
J
ps Im actually serious
Unregistered
But surely, you have to be like top of your school to go to OX/Cam and i dont know anyone who is like brainy but applies little effort. so is it like a spread of maily keen people, but with a few people who dont do a lot, can u give me some like guessed figures? also what is the handout? I ve heard that it is like a book list which you will never get through

by handout i mean lecture notes. Not everyone here is highly motivated, not everyone needed to be to get As at A-level. Some may even find the course easy, I don't know. There are a few very keen people, but most people will do what they need to, maybe a little more. There are a lot of other things for people to put their efforts into other than just academic work at Oxbridge.
Ralfskini
Can you actually get away with sleeping?!? Is it left that much to the individual to be motivated?

You can sleep in the lectures, noones going to say anything. Lectures, although you're supposed to go to them, aren't registered or anything like that. Its very much down to individual motivation.
Reply 14
:frown: I hope not..
DanMushMan
You can sleep in the lectures, noones going to say anything. Lectures, although you're supposed to go to them, aren't registered or anything like that. Its very much down to individual motivation.

When people first start in the first year are they really consciencious and studious, and then gradually realise that they can get away with doing the bare minimum and do just that?- a bit like when I start a fresh year at school.
Reply 16
Nice one!
Ralfskini
When people first start in the first year are they really consciencious and studious, and then gradually realise that they can get away with doing the bare minimum and do just that?- a bit like when I start a fresh year at school.

pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
*Not sure if this is off the subject* but I always get the impression of oxbridge students to have no fashion sense and no idea about modern times, ie. the latest music and things.

Is that right, or am I thinking of sterotypes?
Reply 19
happysunshine
*Not sure if this is off the subject* but I always get the impression of oxbridge students to have no fashion sense and no idea about modern times, ie. the latest music and things.

Is that right, or am I thinking of sterotypes?

thinking of stereotypes :P Visit and you'll see that's not true of all students here (oxford, don't know about cam) - some maybe, but then you get some people like that everywhere in the world.

Latest