The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bhaal85
Isn't that like saying, you cant go to the cinemas and experience a a movie properly unless you go out and meet the stars?

no, because a movie is designed to be seen in a cinema. Football is designed to be seen in a stadium, with fans who can be the '12th player' and actually sometimes change the face of a game. Its a crap analogy.
Reply 81
DanMushMan
no, because a movie is designed to be seen in a cinema. Football is designed to be seen in a stadium, with fans who can be the '12th player' and actually sometimes change the face of a game. Its a crap analogy.

Why is that a crap analogy? Why do people nneed to go out and buy a ticket for 30-40 quid, when they can perfectly sit at home and watch the game with their families, back in the day before football became such big business, many parents brought their kids to the games. As the country has been graduallly been sucked into this business, it is no longer feasible, especially for working calss families, as tickets are quite expensive, especially when there are lots of people. Why is it, you see the same sort of spirit 'comrade-ship' amongst the people in the pubs who watch the game on telly?
Bhaal85
Why is that a crap analogy? Why do people nneed to go out and buy a ticket for 30-40 quid, when they can perfectly sit at home and watch the game with their families, back in the day before football became such big business, many parents brought their kids to the games. As the country has been graduallly been sucked into this business, it is no longer feasible, especially for working calss families, as tickets are quite expensive, especially when there are lots of people. Why is it, you see the same sort of spirit 'comrade-ship' amongst the people in the pubs who watch the game on telly?

if you really love a team, you'll go. Most of the people who watch Arsenal aren't rich toffs, they're working class people who put a large proportion of their income into season tickets. It may be expensive, which is why you should support a local team, not one which costs £50 to get to by train.
Reply 83
DanMushMan
if you really love a team, you'll go. Most of the people who watch Arsenal aren't rich toffs, they're working class people who put a large proportion of their income into season tickets. It may be expensive, which is why you should support a local team, not one which costs £50 to get to by train.

lol. I do believe many fans would go to such measures and pour most of their income into such luxuries. Do you not think then, that perhaps the companies that have exploited football, may perhaps, spoilt the real essence of football, I am sure the person who introduced football to the masses, did not intend to be seeing teams charge the amounts we see today, to watch a game? With this I leave you to ponder, I'm off to bed. Night everybody, as always this board always proves to be stimulating. Night people.
Reply 84
DanMushMan

'Should'? We'll support who we like, how we like, and we'll respect each other for it. We won't have stuck-up "ooh I went to a game I know more than you" types like you disrespecting our allegiances and passions.
All this because you tried to ridicule my view on the FA punishments of Arsenal by going off topic.
Bhaal85
lol. I do believe many fans would go to such measures and pour most of their income into such luxuries. Do you not think then, that perhaps the companies that have exploited football, may perhaps, spoilt the real essence of football, I am sure the person who introduced football to the masses, did not intend to be seeing teams charge the amounts we see today, to watch a game? With this I leave you to ponder, I'm off to bed. Night everybody, as always this board always proves to be stimulating. Night people.

true, business has taken over football and overhyped charged tickets are the norm (especially at Chelsea). don't get me wrong, I like watching football on TV as much as the next person, but given the choice of that or the opportunity to buy a season ticket at Arsenal, I would be there everytime.
ZJuwelH
'Should'? We'll support who we like, how we like, and we'll respect each other for it. We won't have stuck-up "ooh I went to a game I know more than you" types like you disrespecting our allegiances and passions.
All this because you tried to ridicule my view on the FA punishments of Arsenal by going off topic.

I don't see how you can justify at all supporting Man U. Oh, and posts always go off topic.
Reply 87
DanMushMan
I don't see how you can justify at all supporting Man U. Oh, and posts always go off topic.

I don't have to justify anything to you. I only have to answer to myself.
What I meant was you were trying to disagree with my views on Arsenal's punishment. Instead of talking about the punishments you decided to attack (weakly) the fact that I don't live in Manchester. What did that have to do with the original point??? With that thought I leave you for my bed. Hope it was pleasant viewing for all hahaha!
ZJuwelH
I don't have to justify anything to you. I only have to answer to myself.
What I meant was you were trying to disagree with my views on Arsenal's punishment. Instead of talking about the punishments you decided to attack (weakly) the fact that I don't live in Manchester. What did that have to do with the original point??? With that thought I leave you for my bed. Hope it was pleasant viewing for all hahaha!

of course, we're both best qualified to give views on that, because we're both so impartial. What's more interesting now is what Rio will get, he should be banned for 6 months minimum, and should miss Euro 2004. Even after that, I don't think he should be allowed to wear an England shirt again.
Reply 89
Are upper class girls good in bed?
Reply 90
BABYGUY
you will find a big division. there are geeks, and their are the cooler, normal people, with personlity's aswell as brains.

How do you know shitface youve never been there. You havnt even finished your a levels dumbass
Reply 91
ZJuwelH
Oh yeah I'm still not sure what you mean by inclination...

I realise you probably would love to go. But talking on a broader scale, there are probably people who would rather sit at home and watch it with their own comforts etc. I realise this wouldn't apply to most but there are bound to be a few people who have reasons (be it mental or physical) not to want to attend.
I perhaps should have just left it with the means and money point.

DanMushMan
true, business has taken over football and overhyped charged tickets are the norm (especially at Chelsea). don't get me wrong, I like watching football on TV as much as the next person, but given the choice of that or the opportunity to buy a season ticket at Arsenal, I would be there everytime.

But that's the point, not everyone has the choice or the oppertunity to go to matches.
Reply 92
Egan1
I

But that's the point, not everyone has the choice or the oppertunity to go to matches.

His “opportunities” would improve exponentially if he didn’t support a team who played their home games a few hundred miles away from his house though….
Reply 93
I'm with ZJuwelH on this. As much as i hate to agree with a utd supporter (Im a liverpool fan) he's right. I've never been to a Liverpool game but im still a true supporter 100%. I watch every game thats on tv, i by a new shirt every season, and unlike most 'fans' i dont spend my life insulting the team and saying the manager should get sacked.
Reply 94
kildare
His “opportunities” would improve exponentially if he didn’t support a team who played their home games a few hundred miles away from his house though….

So say you supported your local team- and were a 'loyal' fan. After that you had to move somewhere else and getting to matches became difficult and overly impractical -would you just drop that team and start supporting the one nearest your new location?

I realise the above it not highly relevant, but I'm curious.

Also, location and transportation isn't the only factor that might stop someone going to watch matches.
Reply 95
DanMushMan
Even after that, I don't think he should be allowed to wear an England shirt again.

YOu wouldn't be saying the same if this was an Arsenal player, so your argument loses all credibility.
Bigcnee
YOu wouldn't be saying the same if this was an Arsenal player, so your argument loses all credibility.

and you wouldn't be defending him if he was an Arsenal player.
Reply 97
DanMushMan
and you wouldn't be defending him if he was an Arsenal player.

Are we talking about something else now?
~Samantha~
I'm with ZJuwelH on this. As much as i hate to agree with a utd supporter (Im a liverpool fan) he's right. I've never been to a Liverpool game but im still a true supporter 100%. I watch every game thats on tv, i by a new shirt every season, and unlike most 'fans' i dont spend my life insulting the team and saying the manager should get sacked.

you're just not though. Real hardcorew supporters, which I don't claim to be, hate armchair supporters who never go and see their team. They have more respect for the fans of the other team in the stadium.
Reply 99
DanMushMan
mate the fact is that any real Mancuian Man U fan would not defend you. Live with it, you're an armchair supporter, and that's all you'll ever be.

Who made you the expert on Mancunian United fans? Wasnt aware that was your area of expertise! I am one and he doesnt bother me at all. I think theres perhaps an element of the whole supporting thing that you miss out on if you dont support a local team (and by the way, I wouldnt have thought Arsenal are the nearest team to Croydon, did you used to live in North London or something?) but the tirades about the need to support the nearest team to you are daft. Speaking as a United fan from Manchester, I dont have a problem with people who love to watch and support United but are on the other side of the world. There are some who would disagree with me but the fact is you can't generalise us like that without being wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending