The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

for fun.
Reply 2
for me christmas has nothing to do with the christian bits...its just a nice time towards the end of year for everyone to take a break, give gifts, have a few parties, spend time with family etc.

Even if we didnt have religion, i think it would be a nice thing to have :biggrin:
I treat it as a family gathering more than anything and an oppurtunity to show people that I appreciate them. And plus it brightens up winter.

In the future though I want to celebrate the winter solstice more because the shortest day is something to celebrate IMO.
Reply 4
I don't get it either... my parents rope me in every year (aethist in a primarily aethist family), saying it's an excuse to get together with the family and eat lots of food... neither hold any real appeal to me so what's the point? I guess it stops my parents getting annoyed with me...
Atheists aren't celebrating the birth of Jesus. Sorry, but christmas =/= celebration of Christ's birth.
Why are you celebrating Saturnalia?
Reply 7
yeah but if Jesus hadn't been born then there would be no concept of christmas. now it's just about presents and family. don't you think it's just a little contradicting?
Reply 8
Christmas nowadays is heavily dominated by society's other religion: consumerism! Consequently, more people have identified with it as such and celebrate regardless of their personal religious convictions.
Reply 9
Serious? A lot of non christians that live in britain celebrate it becuase it's part of the British culture. I'm asian my parents aren't chrisitan but hindu/sikh we sitll celebrate it. It's fun and presents are awesome and it's just awesome XD I'm atheist and I love Christmas! For me it has nothin to do with Jesus :P
Reply 10
loopylouise
I don't get it either... my parents rope me in every year (aethist in a primarily aethist family), saying it's an excuse to get together with the family and eat lots of food... neither hold any real appeal to me so what's the point? I guess it stops my parents getting annoyed with me...

Neither getting together with the family and eating lots of food hols any real appeal ot me? you suck!! lol
Because most of (I'm guessing) were just brought up to do so?

Schools had to teach us about the actual meaning of christmas but they didn't tell us to GTFO if we weren't gona choose to be christian so we were involved in all the card making, santa's letters whether we believed in Jesus or not.

Also, because your family does it. Can you imagine a 6 year old sitting there saying sorry mummy I don't believe in Jesus, please don't let santa get me any presents this year... Chances are they'll just carry on like everyone else because everyone does it.

Anyway it'd be a pretty miserable place if all the atheists just stopped doing the christmas thing... think of the shops they'd all be broke lol.

I think this thread is a bit silly really...
Reply 12
I'm an athiest and I celebrate Christmas. But the original 'Christmas' idea/celebrations was a pagan holiday to i suppose cheer people up? And it is highly unlikely that Jesus was born in December. Its has become more a family celebration, I don't see anything wrong with it!:smile:
Reply 13
Christmas has been developed so much that it's not ABOUT religion anymore. It's more of a British tradition rather than a Christian one! I am not Christian, but I celebrate Christmas because i'm English, and for me, the traditions of my country are more important than the traditions of religion. I know if I lived in a Hindu country I would celebrate Diwali, just because it's become normal!
megzymonsta
yeah but if Jesus hadn't been born then there would be no concept of christmas. now it's just about presents and family. don't you think it's just a little contradicting?

What do you mean just about presents and family?
Christmas is a pagan holiday that became popular. It has nothing to do with Jesus christ, the Christians just stole it.
megzymonsta
yeah but if Jesus hadn't been born then there would be no concept of christmas.

:rolleyes:

People were celebrating the winter solstice long before Jesus was born. Christians appropriated that ancient tradition, not the other way around.
I'm astonished how arrogant Christians are. Do you think Christmas was invented for your benefit? Do you think people haven't been celebrating in the middle of winter for hundreds of years before the birth of your god? We're lucky that the rest of us allow you to tack on your god's birthday onto our festivities. Especially since he was extremely unlikely to have been born on the 25th December.

Well, we can celebrate Yule, Winterval, Samhain or indeed any one of the countless winter festivals that take place around then. Or maybe, just maybe, we celebrate Christmas because our families do, and we traditionally do and it's not overly onerous to just go along with the flow. I'm not going to refuse to celebrate Christmas just because I don't believe in God.
I believe in santa, **** jesus
Reply 19
You spelt it wrong. It's actually Commercialmas not Christmas :h:

Latest