This discussion is closed.
k0rrupter
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
"describe the path of a carbon atom present in the bread of a cheese sandwich from it ingested to being excreted as carbon dioxide gas"

wht do i include, other than the digestion process?, respiration?

thnx
Ol 92650
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, I'd go for the bread being broken down during digestion, followed by glucose being split in respiration. Some CO2 is released during the 'link stage' between glycolysis and the kreb cycle; the rest is released in the latter.
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depending on how much detail you want to go into, there are loads of other routes the carbon atom could take (non-direct routes such as being converted into fatty acids and storing energy in adipose tissue before being used as a respiratory fuel at a later stage).
You probably only want to describe the conversion to glucose and then respiration of glucose in detail - but it's worth mentioning the fact that this is not the ONLY pathway the carbon atom could take.
dinesh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would just go on talking about how the enzymes in the buccal cavity, gut etc would break it down to glucose , make mention also of gylcogen and fat conversion.
THen talk about respiration, anaerboic and aerobic , including , glycolysis, link reaction and Krebs cycle.
In addtion make mention of the link between Fat break down that joins up to the krebs in the form of the acetyl fragment Then how the c02 hits the blood, how is it stored, as carbaminohaemoglobin or dissolved in blood or in the hydrogen carbonate compound.Then talk about it going to the aveoli and moving out along a gradient
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads