On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Anyone at Winchester School of Art?

Scroll to see replies

I got in straight from Alevels :biggrin:
did you guys? what grades do you need?
not sure whether to go there yet though!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I went straight from a national diploma, I know a few people who came straight from A level, most have relatively high grades.
Oh and i'm already at WSA by the way, and I love it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Every Uni has it's advantages and disadvantages. Try to find one where you feel happy and comfortable rather than listening to too many opinions. Ask questions, but remember that people have their own opinions.

I love WSA, but I'm sure there are people who don't, just think about if you will be happy there.

For me the appeals are the friendly community, the beautiful scenery, always having something to do, the railway inn, feeling like i'm in a safe place, my own studio space, having met many great people and had many great nights out and some really interesting lectures.
SteelApathy
Oh and i'm already at WSA by the way, and I love it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Every Uni has it's advantages and disadvantages. Try to find one where you feel happy and comfortable rather than listening to too many opinions. Ask questions, but remember that people have their own opinions.

I love WSA, but I'm sure there are people who don't, just think about if you will be happy there.

For me the appeals are the friendly community, the beautiful scenery, always having something to do, the railway inn, feeling like i'm in a safe place, my own studio space, having met many great people and had many great nights out and some really interesting lectures.

I'm thinking about applying to Winchester next year for Graphic Arts =) do you know anything about what the course is like and quality? Whats the fine art course like as well? I went to the open day and really loved the uni actually =D although i havent gone to any other open days yet so i dont have anything to compare it to xD but still thought it was quite nice...also some people ive talked to say that accommodation in 2nd and 3rd years is hard to find because of more expensive houses in the area? Thanks! xD
Reply 44
I got an unconditional offer to Winchester School of Art doing Graphic arts but the problem is i LOVE the course but the place winchester just all seems so boring. There's not really a nightlife there and i have heard really bad things about the halls. If anyone is studying there now, can you tell me more?
Thanks
Reply 45
Hi, I have got a conditional offer for WSA fine art and really liked the place but Im worried as to how quite the town is, the high street was lovely but would never manage to get a job. But moe importantly i cant seem to find any decent pictures of the accomadation and it is rather pricey so would like ot know what Im paying for. The uni looked really good though :smile:
let me know if anyone finds any pics or also applying for fine art
x
i really liked winchester when i went for my interview
friendly people, lovely place and the uni looks fab
im from sheffield and i got an offer which i accepted straight away
i think with winchester being a quiet place it will be good for study

(btw im on the fashion and textiles BA thing... aha... anyone else???...)
x
I'm thinking of going to Winchester to study Graphic Arts.....the place looked amazing, such a small quiet campus life, but really don't know that much about the course and accommodation..just that the accommodation isn't too great haha! any second opinions??
I've accepted the offer to go and do graphic arts... :smile: I got the accomodation stuff through the other day, it does look nice but I think I'll be going into private accomodation. The course does look good, if you've done a foundation diploma like i'm just finishing, it sounds very suited to that...

There's hardly anyone asking about wsa on here though...fantastic start...haha
Reply 49
i accepted my offer in the end :smile: anyone doing fine art by anychance?
can't wait, was scared of accepting but everytime i thought of goin uni i kept thinkin of goin there
x
Reply 50
Hey! I'm going to WSA in September to study Fashion

I've lived in Winchester for nearly three years now, and It's a really lovely place. The facilities at WSA are pretty good, obviously there are a few uni's that have better, but generally it's up to standard.

If anyone wants to know anything about Winchester, as a place to live I'd be happy to help.

I did two years BA Creative Writing at University of Winchester, so I know whats its like for a student there. . .

:smile:
Hey!
I've been offered a place on the fashion course too at WSA. The course looks great but I am really worried about the lack of nightlife. My other options are Bath Spa and UWE Bristol. I know more about those 2 places and I love their locations, but I feel WSA has the stronger course. The location is the only thing that is stopping me applying to WSA.
Could you possibly tell me anything you know about Winchester?
Thanks!
Reply 52
WSA President
Hi- I run the Students' Union @ Winchester School Of Art- I thought it might be helpful if you were still looking there that i could answer some of your questions?
It is a quiet city, the art school isn't out in the outskirts (the outskirts are fields!) the campus is very central, 3 mins to town, 10 mins to halls, 5 mins from the station. Its a lovely place with a really chilled creative atmosphere. Night life wise there are a few key places, The Railway Inn and the SU are great Live Music Venues, then there's a couple of clubs in the centre and Southampton City Centre is just 15mins away by train. There is also a free bus service for WSA students to the Highfield Campus of the Uni including a nightbus. It really depends if you think a small campus environment is for you- or you want to be part of a larger university. I've been here 4 years now and I'm staying another year- recommended!

ooo mee pick mee.. i have some questionssss <3

1. is the freshers separate from the soton one? and can you go to the soton one if it is.
2. do winchester students also get the free travel oyster card-like thingy bobby for around the area ????
3. how far is the nearest gym (i'm getting really fat lately from eating too many ice lollies)
4. can we use some of the facilities of soton like the... gym?
I've got a conditional offer for the fashion marketing course.. anyone else doing that??
Same as what a few other people have said.. bit worried about how quiet the town seemed when i visited and what the nightlife will be like..
Reply 54
Becstasy
ooo mee pick mee.. i have some questionssss <3

1. is the freshers separate from the soton one? and can you go to the soton one if it is.
2. do winchester students also get the free travel oyster card-like thingy bobby for around the area ????
3. how far is the nearest gym (i'm getting really fat lately from eating too many ice lollies)
4. can we use some of the facilities of soton like the... gym?

Hi, not going to WSA, but my girlfriend is - not sure about #1

#2 yep

#3 about 30 seconds @ the River Park Leisure Centre but membership is pricey - £35/m, there's another one like 20 minutes walk up by Peter Symonds College that does student memberships at £20/m (I'm a local! I used that gym through college).

#4 yes. So'ton gym membership is £110/y, pretty stonking deal, and is right next to the terminal thing for the uni-link buses - I assume the Winch one goes to this aswell!

Any questions about Winchester generally fire away!
I don't think Erasmus Park halls (http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/winchester/erasmuspark.html ) in winchester includes a bus pass - mainly because the uni-link buses don't go there. But I do know that a fair few WSA students live in wessex lane halls and drive/catch a bus to WSA. If you want to spend more time in soton but study at winchester then it's worth asking the accomm office about it - they'll know more about the price of transport to winchester and how long it takes...plus you're then handy for the gym etc.
Reply 56
PQ
I don't think Erasmus Park halls (http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/winchester/erasmuspark.html ) in winchester includes a bus pass - mainly because the uni-link buses don't go there. But I do know that a fair few WSA students live in wessex lane halls and drive/catch a bus to WSA. If you want to spend more time in soton but study at winchester then it's worth asking the accomm office about it - they'll know more about the price of transport to winchester and how long it takes...plus you're then handy for the gym etc.

I may be wrong but I thought the winch-> so'ton connection was handled by the 'blue star' bus, and the bus pass worked for this (to allow access to the library etc on so'ton campus?)
Reply 57
Woww thanks for answering my questions! A lot of my mates go soton and so I am planning on hanging out there and stuff but yeh I'll try find out.

Also no one knows anything about the freshers dealios? Because some are saying it's separate and really crap? I want to mingle with people outside of the whole art thing because I've already been in that environment and stuff.
Reply 58
Fono
Hi I'm wondering if anybody has been accepted on to WSA Fine arts course straight from A-Level???

Wouldn't mind finding a few other people to talk to :smile: x

hello!!! I started last year september 09, and I went straight into it from A level, and I found I was one of the youngest there! as everyone else did a foundation and had gap years, I found it rather depressing where I was 18 and most of the others were over 20, but I soon found others my age. I'm doing fine art by the way, wanted to do painting but ended up making films something I never imagined.
I found it to be a culture shock due to the amount of freedom and choice we could have on each modual - actually some people did leave as they had no ideas.............sorry for the essay! I'm not sure when you sent this so we could of crossed paths!
Reply 59
PQ

Last year the blue star bus pass was included in the halls fee, so I don't think that would of changed this year, the bus is not connected to the uni, still free though you have to get a new one every few months, but your actual student card allows free bus travel on all the uni link ones once you are in southampton, the bus ride into southampton from winchester is around 45 mins. Plus the night star bus pass is included in the fees too, I was extreamly impressed with the service and will be buying a bus pass for next year

Quick Reply

Latest