The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since I guess the probability for me going to Imperial is 10%, and me going to Oxford is 0%, I will definitely recommend Imperial!! :d
Must be great for girls at Imperial...

2 years ago we were 4 boys and 18 nice girls in my class! (most of them "fit" as you say)... It was a great year!! :wink:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
alwaysrebecca
I know this topic was probabaly discussed before, but I was in a process of "seducing" my best friend to accept her offer from Imperial as firm against Oxford. She was obviously tempted by the boys and girls ratio in Imperial ... :biggrin: :wink: but still a bit unsure about which course is generally better...

any suggestion, guys? :smile:

well how can you say no to oxford :eek: once in a lifetime you know, lol - and the is a healthy gender balance in Oxford with more boys, unfortunately, by a few %, lol

i'm putting oxford as firm, and thinking hard about imperial as firm, because there are too many boys there!!!

P.S. don't be evil to your friend, and let her put oxford :wink:
Reply 3
Once in a lifetime chances aren't always worth taking though. You've got a once in a lifetime chance to go to Imperial, too. I don't know anything about the Oxford maths course, so I can't help you there. The Imperial maths course is good though (I do ½ of it, since I do Maths and Computer Science), plenty of help when you need it, in tutorials and problem solving classes and so on. It's quite a large department, first year lectures are to about 260 people (23 of them Maths + Computing).
Reply 4
i don't know much about the maths course at oxford, although Imperial has a better reputation for science than Oxford, which is traditionally seen as more of an 'arts' uni.

but yeah, i would echo chaoscomplex's thoughts: maths here is good... suitably challenging yet not completely impossible, and if u want to really stretch the limits of your knowledge, the resources and staff are there to help you.

And there are more than enough men in Imperial as well, so I doubt she'd be missing out on attention :wink:
Reply 5
Oxford, obviously.
Reply 6
edders
Oxford, obviously.

Still not got a girlfriend eh?
Reply 7
I have a friend doing Maths and Philosophy at Oxford and the course seems extremely difficult. I don't actually know much about the reputations but it does seem to be a nice course, suited (of course) for people good enough to get into Oxford :P
Reply 8
John!
I have a friend doing Maths and Philosophy at Oxford and the course seems extremely difficult. I don't actually know much about the reputations but it does seem to be a nice course, suited (of course) for people good enough to get into Oxford :P

At imperial college, they make you do maths coursework/reports, for fun! I don't know what you people exactly call, fun, but i had better stuff do to with me free time:biggrin:. At the november open day, i asked whether the maths report thing was compulsory...

..and the guy said " yes we take pride in the strength of our maths dept. and that staff are willing to put aside time to go through it, blah blah blah..."

I was like wtf! get a life you saddo maths teachers :eek: I HATE COURSEWORK...why couldn't everythign be just exams :wink: .I'm better at them, and prefer it to tedious longwinded coursework, which is weighed less heavily than the exams, in the end, coursework is sort of obsolite as it is - what is the point of it!?! :confused:

phil
Reply 9
i think oxford has a better rep than imperial... the only reason i would think of choosen one above the other would be the social life

ps im not sure if this has already been said but its aa bit harsh wot ur doing to ur m8... unis a chance to break out and meet new people
alwaysrebecca
I know this topic was probabaly discussed before, but I was in a process of "seducing" my best friend to accept her offer from Imperial as firm against Oxford. She was obviously tempted by the boys and girls ratio in Imperial ... :biggrin: :wink: but still a bit unsure about which course is generally better...

any suggestion, guys? :smile:

I'm putting Oxford as my first, and funnily enough my best friend is putting Imperial, both for Maths joint honours courses. I'd say that maybe Oxford is slightly better academically, but then social life is better at Imperial. Imperial will also be more expensive in terms of living costs I can imagine. Maybe she could look into what modules are offered later on at both and decide based on that.

I have a friend doing Maths and Philosophy at Oxford and the course seems extremely difficult.

:eek:
Reply 11
Oxford better academically in sciences?????
I really dont think so ;-)
I would only choose cam over imperial.The choice between oxford and imperial is easy.
in my opinion, oxford is more famous, imperial is academically better in maths
Reply 13
Phil23
At imperial college, they make you do maths coursework/reports, for fun! I don't know what you people exactly call, fun, but i had better stuff do to with me free time:biggrin:. At the november open day, i asked whether the maths report thing was compulsory...

..and the guy said " yes we take pride in the strength of our maths dept. and that staff are willing to put aside time to go through it, blah blah blah..."

I was like wtf! get a life you saddo maths teachers :eek: I HATE COURSEWORK...why couldn't everythign be just exams :wink: .I'm better at them, and prefer it to tedious longwinded coursework, which is weighed less heavily than the exams, in the end, coursework is sort of obsolite as it is - what is the point of it!?! :confused:

phil

by the way, each coursework you do is worth about 0.00001 of your final degree mark.
so some people don't do any work, and can still get 1sts.

but there are several reasons why you do coursework....

it will gradually improve the quality of your written mathematics, as you could have the best mathematical ideas in the world, but if it is not rigorous when you write it down, then it's incorrect.

also, it helps you understand the concepts in lectures, since you really have to know your stuff to be able to do the coursework

last but not least, a lot of lecturers actually set exam questions from previous non-compulsory question sheets. so if you've worked during the term time, you're sorted for the exam.
Reply 14
chaoscomplex
Still not got a girlfriend eh?

And I suppose you've accosted one of the beauties in the Computing dept. Matt? :p:
Reply 15
edders
And I suppose you've accosted one of the beauties in the Computing dept. Matt? :p:

Ha ha
Reply 16
If you plan to go abroad to work after university I'd go for Oxford without a shadow of a doubt.

True, people say social life is better at Imperial but your social life is 80-90% down to you and not the environment you're in anyway...outside of the U.K. (Europe?) the universities that pop to mind are Oxbridge...Imperial is a bit of an afterthought (although hopefully we'll surpass them both soon!...wishful thinking).
Reply 17
John!
True, people say social life is better at Imperial...

never heard that one before :rolleyes:
Reply 18
It might be gross propaganda being distributed in tabland, but I've heard that Imperial has a substantially better course. Don't actually know if it's true, wouldn't be surprised. If it's anything like the compsci course at Oxford it's absolutely pants.
Reply 19
iluvcheesecake
...but then social life is better at Imperial.

Chance would be a fine thing. Social life at Oxford is clearly going to be superior. They have so many cool events going on there.

Latest

Trending

Trending