The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
edders
Chance would be a fine thing. Social life at Oxford is clearly going to be superior. They have so many cool events going on there.

Like what? What's wrong with the events here?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
chaoscomplex
Like what? What's wrong with the events here?

There aren't any, not that come to mind. At Oxford they have debating, rowing, balls etc.
Reply 22
edders
There aren't any, not that come to mind. At Oxford they have debating, rowing, balls etc.

Seems to be that there are debating, rowing and balls at Imperial too...
but I'm not a student there though.. just base my knowledge on information from other students and websites...

and yes... I know you're studying at Imperial... But think it was kind of strange that you mentioned rowing at Oxford...
Reply 23
edders

Debating society:
http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/money/FinanceFiles/SCC/225/index.shtml

Rowing
http://www.imperialboatclub.co.uk/

Can't find any info on balls, there's the freshers' ball and the summer ball though.
Reply 24
chaoscomplex
Debating society:
http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/money/FinanceFiles/SCC/225/index.shtml

Rowing
http://www.imperialboatclub.co.uk/

Can't find any info on balls, there's the freshers' ball and the summer ball though.

I know we have those things here. But they pale in comparison.
Reply 25
edders

Someone's bitter...
Reply 26
chaoscomplex
Someone's bitter...

Just telling it how it is.
Reply 27
edders

Based on your statement, I assume you know much about this...

So.. Hope you can help me..

I want to go to Imperial, and I find the rowing club very interesting. Sport is very important to me. Could you explain why Oxford is a better place for rowing than Imperial?? Or what's the weak points with rowing at Imperial??

I looked at their homepage (the boat club) and it seems like the rowers are doing great on a national level. I even saw some girls on the pictures!!
And they had cycling camps as well!! Can it get any better??? At Oxford maybe?
Debating truely sucks at imperial it is true. But we are much better at rowing than Ox (but that just means there is no fun social rowers who like drinking too much)
Reply 29
Imperial is FAR better at rowing, Oxford can get rather bitter about it. :biggrin:
Reply 30
yeah, Imperial is definitely one of the top university boat clubs in the country, there's no question about that.
Reply 31
4Ed
yeah, Imperial is definitely one of the top university boat clubs in the country, there's no question about that.

wtf, where is their boathouse, and where do they row :biggrin: Maybe row on the thames, but where on earth do they keep the boats? a river side imperial boathouse or something :confused:

PK
Reply 32
Yes. It's in Putney. They have a nice gym there too, it's rather swish.

They employ a coach who won a gold at the Olympics :smile:
Reply 33
Yeah, the rowing club is superb. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/sports/development/rowing.htm

I'm pretty sure that IC produced two of an 8 man rowing team that won gold at the Sydney Olympics.
Reply 34
Well who are the best rowing universities in the country then? Obviously the Boatrace could be confuzzling thangs for me, but I always thought that the competition, degree of popularity and intensity of rowing at Oxbridge would make them the best rowing unis in the country...Or should we be really having a Boatrace with Imperial in it instead? :eek:
Reply 35
Comparing the course guides, it looks like Imperial maths undergrads meet topics around half a year after Oxford maths undergrads would.
Reply 36
OK, so the rowing club is good, but it's not a part of life for non-rowers. At Oxford they have intercollegiate competitions and stuff so everyone can join in the spirit of things.

I'm not trying to say Imperial is no good; it has lots of good clubs. Just trying to be balanced when everyone raves about how great it is here.
Reply 37
edders
OK, so the rowing club is good, but it's not a part of life for non-rowers. At Oxford they have intercollegiate competitions and stuff so everyone can join in the spirit of things.

I'm not trying to say Imperial is no good; it has lots of good clubs. Just trying to be balanced when everyone raves about how great it is here.

i went to IC yesterday...the accommodation provision is a bit of a let down. By the way, how much is food cost in halls if ones lives at uni? you are allowed to eat 3 times a day in uni aren't you? Anyone seen the maths buildings there..so ugly :confused: why did the business dept have to be refurbished :confused: now do the maths block:biggrin:
Reply 38
Phil23
i went to IC yesterday...the accommodation provision is a bit of a let down. By the way, how much is food cost in halls if ones lives at uni? you are allowed to eat 3 times a day in uni aren't you? Anyone seen the maths buildings there..so ugly :confused: why did the business dept have to be refurbished :confused: now do the maths block:biggrin:

Which halls did you look round? The worse one is being demolished this year, and will be ready for October.

I don't know how much the catered accomodation is (check the website) but I tend to spend between £15 and £20 on food per week. There's a big Sainsbury's not too far away, and several Tesco Expresses (bit more expensive) for odd things.

Yes, the Maths building is ugly. It's unfortunate they built it in the 60s. And a mathematician donated the £28M that built the Tanaka building (business school) too. The Computing department (same building as Maths) is newly refurbished though, perhaps it won't be too long until they do maths. (In any case, the rooms you actually use are OK, it's just the look of the building from the outside that isn't too great).

edders

Why not suggest it to the rowing club? You won't be the only one. If you can find 29 other people you can make your own society.
Reply 39
You can join and not take it seriously, turning up once or twice a week.

Latest

Trending

Trending