?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I need advice!
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends what you want from one i guess.
The one i've got is called 'Pharmacology Condensed' by Maureen M. Dale and Dennis G. Haylett which i really like as it's got a lot of the basics without too much detail and lots of nice diagrams that demonstrate it very well
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The one I like is called the BNF - you look up what the consultant asked you to scribe and copy what it says.

The definitive textbook is Rang, et. al., I bought it in first year and used it less than half a dozen times.
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
The one I like is called the BNF - you look up what the consultant asked you to scribe and copy what it says.

The definitive textbook is Rang, et. al., I bought it in first year and used it less than half a dozen times.
Ooh I completely forgot about the BNF! And it's usually the first one i go to for any pharmacology type issue, though it doesn't give enough information about mode of action as i sometimes need which is where i find the condensed book so useful
username43584
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got Rang & Dale. Haven't used it much but it's quite straight-forward in its explanations and is good for reference. Pharmacology At a Glance is supposed to be excellent too if you don't want to fork out £30.
clareyk123
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I like Rang and Dale's Pharmacology too, it's pretty comprehensive.
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rang & Dale seems to be a bit marmitey - check it out in the library first. I'm not such a fan personally but a lot of people really like it.
psyche87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I loved Rang and Dale. It goes through the basics of each topic before launching into the drugs and mode of action, which is a good refresher if you can't quite remember what the effects of histamine are (so that you can then figure out what the effects of blocking histamine are).
crazyhelicopter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
BNF for the stuff that matters to the patient

Rang, Dale and Ritter for the sciencey stuff
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our pre-clinical pharmacology course is pretty intense and heavily based on Rang and Dale. Definitely worth getting. I still find myself referring to it two years later to remind myself of mechanisms.
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rang and Dale's ftw :love:.
DrVas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Looks like we have A favorite
:getmecoat:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't call it a favourite...
DrVas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I wouldn't call it a favourite...
Most used?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DrVas)
Most used?
Most owned. :p:
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, does doorstop count as a use?

I found this book really useful too: http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Clinical.../dp/0071410929
Meltdown30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Medical Pharmacology at a Glance is a good short version - lots of clear diagrams and a good amount of detail.

I like Rang & Dale for the more detailed parts though.

What's the library like at your uni? I'd try a few out before you buy any, or you might even be able to get away with just using the library ones. (Glasgow's "Study Landscape" means all I own is the Anatomy Colouring Book...)
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For the really hardcore go for Goodman & Gilman, literally all you need for Pharmacology
psychic_maniac
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got Lippincott's, which is quite good. I would read it more, but I have an aversion to textbooks...
Whizz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As before, Rang is pretty good. Don't buy a pharm textbook (unless you want a £40 doorstop). Use the library, that's what it's there for.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (155)
14.53%
I'm not sure (46)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (317)
29.71%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (519)
48.64%

Watched Threads