The Student Room Group
Aw, I'm sorry! Was it your first choice? Do you have some other offers?
Reply 2
Becca_18star
Ever get the feeling you just dont come across well on paper. Got rejected from Edinburgh yesterday despite the fact they only asked for 3Bs (English Lit) and I'm predicted 2As and 1B. How depressed am I!!!! :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. Where else do you have offers from? Edinburgh is a really good uni, it probably just had way too many applicants for places.
Edinburgh's grades are dodgy because they, along with Bristol, got thwapped for not letting students from a wide enough range of backgrounds come in. So all their grades are a little too low, I think - English is REALLY popular there. I wouldn't worry about it so much :smile: It's probably them, not you!

I hope it wasn't your first choice and that you've got some other offers ^_^
Reply 4
i know someone who has a 3a prediction and didn't get an offer there. i think the low grade offer has little to do with their realistic expectations.

or maybe it's an edmunton ikea scenario - the offers are so low that they get flooded with thugs fighting over sofas and table. or in this case, over places to read english.
silence
or maybe it's an edmunton ikea scenario - the offers are so low that they get flooded with thugs fighting over sofas and table. or in this case, over places to read english.

I would agree with that!

I've not heard anything from Edinburgh yet (not that it really matters now that I'm reapplying) so they're definitely taking their time. Same with Bristol and St. Andrews, but their average offer is higher.
Reply 6
well i've go offers from Lancaster, Sheffield Hallem and Chester college. Still waiting for Manchester and York. Really wanted Edinburgh for my insurance (mutters).
Lol at ikea thing btw :-)
Reply 7
I got rejected from Edinburgh too and I was predicted 3A's and a B at A2... I got 100% in two of my English papers at A/S... I really don't know what those guys look for. They're really annoying.
We actually have an unofficial Edinburgh rejectees club in our UVIth at school. At least 7 people got rejected, all of them very good students, and one of them if going to LSE or Harvard next year. It's very strange!
Reply 8
Aure
I got rejected from Edinburgh too and I was predicted 3A's and a B at A2... I got 100% in two of my English papers at A/S... I really don't know what those guys look for.

I'm really sorry to hear that Aure, I'm still waiting to hear from Edinburgh but by the sounds of how good you are I'll definitely get rejected. When did you hear from them? xx
Reply 9
When did you hear from them?

Oh, quiet a while back. On the 10th of January to be precise...
Don't let that put you off though. I think my personal statement wasn't too good because I didn't have anybody to guide me. And the fact that you're still waiting means that they're seriously considering you! Which is great.

I wish I had an offer from Edinburgh. I'd love to go to Scotland... Oh well, there's always visiting friends on holidays or whatnot :smile:
when I applied I was rejected by edinborough too, and there's nothing wrong with my grades :-)
Luckily it wasn't my first choice, and I went onto Lancaster and have had a great time there!
Hope you aren't too disappointed.
I just got rejected this morning!

Totalling 5 rejections and 1 offer...which I declined because I really don't want to go there (St. Andrews).
I got rejected for English and German at Edinburgh, it was going to be my 2nd choice (after Durham). Was v upset for a few days, but am now happy with my choices. Still waiting for St Andrews, the lazy dodgems, but I don't want to go there. Damn Scotland! (only joking... I have scottish friends... I love it really, I'm just feeling bitter :p: )
Reply 13
Fasterpurple - i really don't understand your rejections - i thought my four were bad (cam, durham, york n bristol) I would have re applied if i hadn't gotten into Nottingham so good luck for next year. I just wanted to scream what do you want from me?? Every time i got a rejection. I hope it hasn't got you down too much. xx
mousey
Fasterpurple - i really don't understand your rejections - i thought my four were bad (cam, durham, york n bristol) I would have re applied if i hadn't gotten into Nottingham so good luck for next year. I just wanted to scream what do you want from me?? Every time i got a rejection. I hope it hasn't got you down too much. xx

I know - I had that at first but there's no point beating myself up about it/making excuses/whatever because what happened happened, and I just have to deal with it. I've got feedback from Cambridge and I know what the flaws in my application were so I'm working to eliminate them.

That way, when I reapply, I should get in...somewhere :wink:

I've applied to the UEA on ucasextra out of curiosity to see if I really do suck that much though, heh. Just goes to show that being predicted all As isn't everything.
Chill about Edinburgh - I was rejected, along with two other people from my school - one girl, who got all A*'s and A's in GCSE & AS level, and another boy who I don't know very well but got a place at Oxford.
I know no-one who has actually gotten in - either they must live in Scotland or be very well versed in their certain subject.
Reply 16
Can i just say to all of you who are worrying out there- Don't worry about being rejected... you've always got the other options and for the record if you dont make any place, there is always clearing.
1) don't mess up your A-levels... really.... if u have your heart set on something, open the books.
2) if u are lazy, like me, don't worry. I was given an offer from Warwick but no where else- didnt have an insurance offer... so when i didnt get the grades, i went thru clearing and now im at the university of Kent at Canterbury. Do you know what? League tables dont mean squat. This uni is brilliant and i cant believe the rankings it got. They have twice as many options as Warwick had and the campus is just wonderful. Not to mention the accomodation is alot bigger! we get houses! not halls!
I also know now that i probably woulndt have been happy at Warwick because they really do push you and pile on the workload. I cant deal with that. They are much more relaxed here at Kent, hence im more comfortable and do better.
Basically, if you do end up in clearing, DONT PANIC! there are plenty of unis out there that are 'right' for you and you never know- you might end up somewhere better than expected!

Best of Luck! xxx
Ta honeybee - very reassuring. Especially since I'm being damn lazy at the moment (and spending all my time on here...) and starting to panic about exams rather than using the time and energy to actually do some work. Speaking of which... I should probably go revise :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending