Why can independent schools be called public or private? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kaisersalsek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
my school's apparently an independent, private, public school

how can something be public AND private? Always made me wonder...
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you pay for your education or have a scholarship. It would be classed as public school on the statistics. Even though there is a difference between private/indepedent/public.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kaisersalsek)

:confused: I thought it was either independent or private or public, not all 3! I know public schools are the top, really posh ones like Eton, but I've never understood the difference between private and independent.
earthmother
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I've always assumed it's because historically a "public" school education at somewhere like Eton or Harrow was an alternative to a "private" education at home.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As far as I am aware:

-they are all independent.
-those which are members of the HMC (the Headmasters'/mistresses' Conference) are technically public schools
-those which aren't would be referred to as private.

I think. But generally there are a certain subset of schools that are your traditional 'public' schools - they're the bigger, older and posher ones
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
mine's part of the GPDST, independent (the P standing for public) but people say we're a private school too... WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE CONFUSING?!
OldMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
:confused: I thought it was either independent or private or public, not all 3! I know public schools are the top, really posh ones like Eton, but I've never understood the difference between private and independent.
I understood that independent schools could either be private or public. Private schools are owned by people or companies; public schools are charitable trusts, run by a board of trustees but not owned by anyone in particular - hence public.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The terminology surrounding independent, private or public schools is confusing, not least because the words have different meanings in British and American English! In the US a private school is one where one pays to attend and a public school is one where the state pays.

In the UK, independent school, private school and public school all mean schools which are self-governing and funded independently of the state.

Basically it's due to an Americanisation of terms. Essentially they are the same thing.

The only real difference seems to be in the governance of the school.
MrsJones
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it happenned like this, first there was no schooling, then anyone who wanted their kids educated employed teachers to teach in their statelys.

this was "private" education and soon a cheaper way was found by those who couldn't afford it.

they grouped together and formed our first schools, where many children attended and their families chipped in to share the costs. these are our public schools, open to the public provided they could afford it.

then along came state funded schools to educate those who were less financially, not intelligently, well off
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
right, I see! I'm a little less confused now!
synaesthesia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Didn't the GPDST drop the P and become the GDST instead? I used to be at one, and seem to recall that change about five years ago. Unless it's changed back since I left?

/no relevance!
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
their website says GDST... I could have sworn we still use GPDST though
joesharp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think 'public school' was also used to describe a school which accepted people regardless of their religion, as many schools used to be run by the Church.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_%28UK%29
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
their website says GDST... I could have sworn we still use GPDST though
I went to a GDST school, and it changed to GDST several years ago. It was definitely more than 3, but I don't know how long
smallthoms
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by OldMan)
I understood that independent schools could either be private or public. Private schools are owned by people or companies; public schools are charitable trusts, run by a board of trustees but not owned by anyone in particular - hence public.
That's more or less what I thought: public schools were called 'public' because they are owned by and funded by members of the public as opposed to by the State.
watkinc
Report 14 years ago
Independent is the collective term for Private, Grammar and Public. Public schools are clearly the best. There are the prestigious ones like Eton, Winchester, then the minor schools like Sherborne, King Edward's (Mine), Ampleforth etc. Grammar schools are not worthy of mention.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by watkinc)
Independent is the collective term for Private, Grammar and Public. Public schools are clearly the best. There are the prestigious ones like Eton, Winchester, then the minor schools like Sherborne, King Edward's (Mine), Ampleforth etc. Grammar schools are not worthy of mention.
Heh, public schools may be most prestigious in terms of being most expensive, having "families" etc, but not necessarily the best academically. There are lots of state schools and other private schools that are better academically.
PurpleMonster
Report 14 years ago
lol, that always got me too...my secondary school sometimes advertised itself as a independent public school and at others an independent private school...i dont think they really knew either.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads