Convince me to come to Cardiff! Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Cardiff is in the running to be my first choice for English Lit, but I still need a bit of convincing. Try your hardest!
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Welsh Rugby being played on your door step...
Kebab street..street of fast food places great after a night out apparently (been told by a friend)
Great beaches a short drive away.
The fun of a capital city but without the huge size
Capital city = gigs.

I don't live there, but have visited, spoke to people about it and discussed drunken adventures there.
As for the Uni, it seems really nice, I visited the journalism bit (Bute building) Pretty buildings, grass around them..kinda. And the accomm (TalYbont anyway) was really nice and quite big..and cheap.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luize)
Welsh Rugby being played on your door step...
Kebab street..street of fast food places great after a night out apparently (been told by a friend)
Great beaches a short drive away.
The fun of a capital city but without the huge size
Capital city = gigs.

I don't live there, but have visited, spoke to people about it and discussed drunken adventures there.
As for the Uni, it seems really nice, I visited the journalism bit (Bute building) Pretty buildings, grass around them..kinda. And the accomm (TalYbont anyway) was really nice and quite big..and cheap.
Is Cardiff going to be your first choice? I want to do Journalism, film and media as one of my first year subjects. In fact, I almost wish I had applied to that instead of English!
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it might be.
It all depend on how I performed in the jan exams.

The University just seems to work better then the others I have been to. And when something went wrong they were continuly apoligising and telling us the complaints procedure should we wish to complain.
They don't seem to all panic when something doesn't work either, they just stay calm, make a joke and carry on. Obviously this can only apply to the people that I seen.

The only thing I am worried about with Cardiff is not being on a beach (All other unis are Southcoast..) And what I have heard about the nightlife being a bit rough.
Oh and the accent. But I can get used to that I suppose.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luize)
I think it might be.
It all depend on how I performed in the jan exams.

The University just seems to work better then the others I have been to. And when something went wrong they were continuly apoligising and telling us the complaints procedure should we wish to complain.
They don't seem to all panic when something doesn't work either, they just stay calm, make a joke and carry on. Obviously this can only apply to the people that I seen.

The only thing I am worried about with Cardiff is not being on a beach (All other unis are Southcoast..) And what I have heard about the nightlife being a bit rough.
Oh and the accent. But I can get used to that I suppose.
It might not be on a beach, but Swansea is near by! I think 'rough' nightlife will come with any city tbh, Cardiff seems a lot 'safer' than some cities I have visited! And I wouldn't worry too much about the accent, suprising few people were Welsh when I went on the open day!

I know what you mean about the uni seeming fairly being laid back. All the lecturers I have spoken to on open days seem really nice and funny. In fact, the more I write about Cardiff, the more I want to go there!
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
It might not be on a beach, but Swansea is near by! I think 'rough' nightlife will come with any city tbh, Cardiff seems a lot 'safer' than some cities I have visited! And I wouldn't worry too much about the accent, suprising few people were Welsh when I went on the open day!

I know what you mean about the uni seeming fairly being laid back. All the lecturers I have spoken to on open days seem really nice and funny. In fact, the more I write about Cardiff, the more I want to go there!
I have been told of gorgeous beachs just a drive away.
Yeh I gathered that the nightlife is rough in any city, so found it strange when my friends told me that. But I can always go for a couple nights to check it out before hand...
hmm when I went I heard the accent everywhere, it got very annoying. But I am known for correcting people on the little mistakes. I know most of the students won't actually have a welsh accent...it's just the locals with the strong accents I will get annoyed by.

I have found that the more I write and talk about Cardiff the more I can see myself going there. Ironic as I only put the place down as a joke really.
kateington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hi! I am actually at Cardiff in my first year studying Archaeology and Ancient History and I love it here! I don't really know any specifics of your course but i have a friend who does English Lit and she loves it. As for Cardiff itself, it is absolutely amazing! i really don't know where to begin. For starters Cardiff is a city but without being too overwhelming if u understand me! The people here are amazing! i have so many friends here from different places and backgrounds. THe actualy University buildings are architecturally beautiful. They really are. Shopping is amazing, we have the Millennium Stadium, gigs of all diferent varieties and the newly renevated bay is stunning! Plus the Union always has something for everyone! I can honeslty say that I don't regret coming here one bit
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't go Caridff, but am from around there, and got there rather often, 9when I'm not at uni). Te palce is quality... rugby, the heritage, the pride... as was mentioned before CAroline streeet (kebab street)... gets messy there! The clubs are good... All round good place!
djk_99
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OMG Sam you have to ask!!! Me and James will (maybe) be there!!
Haha. You know you love us really
But no, it seems like a great place. You know, the pretty buildings, the pretty town. It all seemed quite modern, good shopping, good nightlife. An involved union (more so than many other uni's I saw), new halls that look pretty nice, lots of stuff to do, friendly people, only a couple of hours on the train from home. Dunno what your course is like, you got to weigh it up against the others. But its definitely got some good stuff going for it. Make a list like Im doing!! (Cardiff is WAY on top lol) :cool:
Lotsa love -x-
RachelBabyfrog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I reallllly need to visit, lol... if only Nottingham would get on and let me know, then I could sort my life out Cardiff could well be my number 1 too
Twaffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cardiff rocks! it isnt too expensive and the Barfly is good! as to the rough night life, it isn't particularly rough.
jamie7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey there -

I actually live in Cardiff and you should come to Cardiff because:

- There's nightlife for everyone, my favourite is Jumpin Jaks. The nightlife is slightly rough on a Sat/Fri night but it's the same in any city.

- You have Roath Park which is great in the Summer. If you choose Uni Hall as your accommodation it's within walking distance.

- Great range of shops, there's the capitol centre (more expensive and mostly designer things, but there is a Virgin and H&M in the centre too). St Davids Centre has just about everything you could need too.

- Millions of student orientated pubs (mostly around Cathays, or student-ville as I refer to it).

- There is a wide range of restaurants, ranging from the very expensive (eg. Cardiff Bay) to dirt cheap (City Road is good for cheap food).

- Chippy lane!!!!! Everyone has to go here in a night out, it's compulsory

- You can never get bored, there's 3 cinemas (cheapest is Ster on Tues which is £3 or £3 before 12 at the UGC - even cheaper is Orange Wednesdays), there is an ice skating rink, concert hall, 3 theatres, the Wales Millennium Centre, Millennium Stadium, a great footy and rugby team - and just a great place to be.

- As for the Uni, I've heard that it has a very good rep for English. My friend is studying English there this year and he loves it - the Union is amazing and there's so much going on in and out of Uni that you'll have a really good time all round.

I hope that convinces you!!!!
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamie7)

(mostly around Cathays, or student-ville as I refer to it).
The ghetto aaaah Cathays is ghetto fantastic!!

There's also Bute Park/Pontycanna (sp?) fields nearby if you're in Talybont/Colum Hall/Aberconway/Aberdare. In the summer we used to climb over the fence outside our house (well one of the lads used to throw me over cause I'm so short *LoL*), down the path and then you're right by the River Taf and Pontycanna fields, and you can walk down the side of the Taf to Bute Park, tis lush in the summer
missyoung1984
Report 14 years ago
Hey

Im in my first year and having the best time. Im from a smaller town about an hour away and the nightlife is rougher there than I have found it in Cardiff. The Uni is great, and Im in Victoria Halls which although quite expensive is really comfortable with en-suites, sky etc. Whoever said about worrying about talking Welsh is ridiculous. The majority of people from South Wales dont speak with the stereotypical voice, u will probably find a lot are Welsh and u wouldnt know it.
jamie7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by missyoung1984)
Hey

Im in my first year and having the best time. Im from a smaller town about an hour away and the nightlife is rougher there than I have found it in Cardiff. The Uni is great, and Im in Victoria Halls which although quite expensive is really comfortable with en-suites, sky etc. Whoever said about worrying about talking Welsh is ridiculous. The majority of people from South Wales dont speak with the stereotypical voice, u will probably find a lot are Welsh and u wouldnt know it.
Lol, it's probably coz you know alot of students who aren't from Cardiff. Cardiff people aren't so welshy anyway. I come from Cardiff and I find it hard to control my accent sometimes, especially when I say car, hehe.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads