What College Should I Apply To At Oxford?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
It's too late to apply to Oxford this year.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Go and have a look round or look in the prospectus? Then start a thread about the colleges you like a look of?
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
let me get this striaght, you sent off your massive application form to oxford, you are asked to be interviewed, you travel 200 miles to oxford, you get interviewed, then you are asked to take a mths exam, they you travel back up 200 miles to home, and w week later you get a letter daying, sorry we ahvent accepted youi. thats absolutely scandolous.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
let me get this striaght, you sent off your massive application form to oxford, you are asked to be interviewed, you travel 200 miles to oxford, you get interviewed, then you are asked to take a mths exam, they you travel back up 200 miles to home, and w week later you get a letter daying, sorry we ahvent accepted youi. thats absolutely scandolous.
Don't bother applying then.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That is what happens with competitive universities though, and a lot of people travel a lot further than 200 miles to be in with a chance of getting in there. It's also not unusual for many of the more popular universities to ask you to travel hundreds of miles for an interview - but just because you've travelled a long way doesn't give you an automatic right to get a place there!!
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
yes, but to make them take an exam aswell, its bloody ludicrous. i cant believe they make people do that, its just bloody unbelievable. filth.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yes, but to make them take an exam aswell, its bloody ludicrous. i cant believe they make people do that, its just bloody unbelievable. filth.
That's their policy an interview or two (or three) and for most subjects an exam.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
As strings of As at a-level are the normal prediction for applicants, they have to find another way to figure out the best. A test is a good way to do this, in addition to the interview. You dont like it, nobodys forcing you to apply.
tagzt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
wot subject are you applying for? what type of college are you looking for?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
As strings of As at a-level are the normal prediction for applicants, they have to find another way to figure out the best. A test is a good way to do this, in addition to the interview. You dont like it, nobodys forcing you to apply.

And most of the people I know who apply to Oxford actually enjoy the experience of spending a few days at one of the colleges even if they are unsuccessful.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
i am going to apply for physics. thing is i dont ahve a friggin clue about what college, i live in leeds, what do i know!!!
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i am going to apply for physics. thing is i dont ahve a friggin clue about what college, i live in leeds, what do i know!!!
Are you sure that you would be suited to oxbridge? I don't mean to sound rude it's just, people .. don't usually complain about the admissions process. Whatever whoever said before was very true, in that they are oversubscribed by I don't know how much, with people who have 5 or even 6 A levels at grade A, and extra curricular activities. How else are they going to differentiate between them?

Oxbridge like people who will thrive there, and by setting their own exams they can see which candidates are best suited to their courses.. If you have a problem with their process then maybe you should be thinking about less prestigious universities.

But if you are serious about making an application, you should seriously look at the website and speak to as many people who study there as possible. There are also books etc. you can buy about getting into oxbridge which will contain information on the colleges. If you don't want to research it and if you don't want to take an exam , then it's probably best you don't waste their time by applying.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
i am more prestigious than oxford. they would be delighted to have me. i aint complaining about the application process for me, coz i know i will breeze through, i am on about the people who get rejected after making so much effort
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i am more prestigious than oxford. they would be delighted to have me. i aint complaining about the application process for me, coz i know i will breeze through, i am on about the people who get rejected after making so much effort
Thats not arrogance is it? :rolleyes:
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
its confidence and its the truth
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why physics may I ask??? Was it not Comp Sci that you wanted to do?
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
you said i shouldnt do computer sci
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How can you be prestigious though? I don't know any prestigious humans. Apart from Des Lynam and Trevor McDonald. And that guy who presents laughter file, Dennis Norden...
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
you said i shouldnt do computer sci
I dont recall ever saying that. I may have said that I got offered Comp Sci at Manchester University, that's about it.

At the moment I dont recommend doing Comp Sci, cause the industry is suffereing and there aren't many jobs around. The course, I heard would kill your intrest in computers.

I remeber saying something like 'A-level computing is boring', but I never said dont do it. If you wanna do that course, then by all means do it. If you chose Physics, because I said dont do Comp Sci, you may regret it.

If you have a very keen interest in Computers then go for the course you wanna go for!!! I remeber this time last year, when I was applying, I chose initially to persue management, but i didn't do any research on the course, I just chose that course at UMIST, and Business at Manchester. I got in both Uni's but I felt I had made a wrong move, I know now that I wanna do law. Because I want to.

Choose the course that mostly appeals to you! That's all I can say.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.05%
No (514)
48.95%

Watched Threads