The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Surely bullying is a problem in all schools, state or private, though?
Reply 201
I think this depends on the type of person you are.

If you're a really determined/motivated person i think you can be successful wherever you go. I know loads of people who have done perfectly fine at a state school. I go to a state school and wouldn't be at all concerned about sending my children there.

If you're not that motivated, I think a private school can help you in a big way. I know a few people who've not done that well at state school and then moved to a private school and pretty much turned their lives around.
Reply 202
-Emmz-
Surely bullying is a problem in all schools, state or private, though?

Bullying is not as polite in public schools
It all depends what school you go to and what type of person you. Lots of ppl from my primary school went to the local state comp - out of them i know at least 5 who are teenage mothers. In comparison the private school ppl aren't exactly doing fantastically, some aren't going to uni, those that are quite low gcses and as levels. then i look at my friends, some of us went to selectives - we're all pretty normal i'd say going to fairly gd unis so it all depends. having said that there are two teenage mothers in year (have now left)
kellywood_5
Aren't Oxford and Cambridge now roughly 50/50 state and private school students? So if just as many state applicants as private get in, how can you say that state school messes up your academic plans?

because much more than 50% of pupils are state eduacted
annabellewalter
because much more than 50% of pupils are state eduacted

Oh yeah, good point, didn't think about that :redface: But still, surely if state education 'messes you up' academically, very few state schoolers would be at Oxbridge, not half the intake.
you can't take the figures for face value though - at my private school, a lot dropped out in 6th form year to go to a sixth form college (probably because it's an all girls and we were fed up), so were actually privately educated for the most part, but show up as coming from state schools...
Reply 207
sleepyeba
you can't take the figures for face value though - at my private school, a lot dropped out in 6th form year to go to a sixth form college (probably because it's an all girls and we were fed up), so were actually privately educated for the most part, but show up as coming from state schools...

Some people also do this because they think positve discrimation in favour of state schools will be advantage to them.
AT82
Some people also do this because they think positve discrimation in favour of state schools will be advantage to them.

That really shouldn't be allowed :mad: Don't you think it's incredibly unfair that someone who's had all the benefits of private education for most of their life can just switch to a state school at the last minute and possibly get an offer because of it?
Reply 209
kellywood_5
That really shouldn't be allowed :mad: Don't you think it's incredibly unfair that someone who's had all the benefits of private education for most of their life can just switch to a state school at the last minute and possibly get an offer because of it?

Yep, a simple way round it wouldbe for UCAS to pass one what kinbd of level 2 education they have had as well as level 3.
sleepyeba
but if you go to a state school where you're going to get beat up for wearing your socks the wrong way, you're probably going to find it harder than in a private school. some people in my school wouldn't be as confident/secure/happy if they were in a state comp doing the things they do..

erm, state schools aren't that bad. I think you're exaggerating just a little bit there....
kellywood_5

just out of curiousity, are uni's not that keen on Grammar schools?
I dont think you do badly off!
Cellardore

Actually they are very keen on them but now they're being treated similiarly to private schools.
Reply 214
To be honest I think its part of the whole PC thing, we in private schools are being discriminated against, like reverse racism
I go to state school and its not particularly brill, but its what you make of it. If you go to a private school. yes then the chances are that you will perform better in exams, the chances are that youll go further in life, and there is less people around you who drop out and become criminals. But its looking back and saying: how many people do i know that did WELL? how many people outperformed the people around me, and most likely got a good kicking of life to go with it
Cellardore

I'm not sure really....I mean, you'd think they'd prefer them because they demonstrate academic ability, but I think it's still comprehensives that get the most special consideration because they're seen as the worst type of school you can go to.
Reply 217
I've gone to a state school all my life and feel i couldnt have done any better if i had gone to a private school. I got 14 A*s and As at GCSE and am predicted 3 As at A level and have got offers to do vet med. I do agree that state schools arent as good as private schools in the amount of support they offer you. However this sets you up well for university as you are used to having to work without being pushed. Also at state school you are mixing with a more diverse group of people which improves your social skills. The only thing i feel i have missed out on not goin to a private school is the amount and range of sport you get to do.
Reply 218
kellywood_5
I'm not sure really....I mean, you'd think they'd prefer them because they demonstrate academic ability, but I think it's still comprehensives that get the most special consideration because they're seen as the worst type of school you can go to.

Private school kids love to harp on about how much kids from comps get into unis easier because it excuses them from not getting in even after their parents have forked out thousands of pounds for their private education. While private schools are obviously going to give you academic advantages, I think comprehensives/state schools prepare you for life a whole lot better.
kellywood_5

i think that's a bit harsh. They're not the 'worst' schools you can go to as there are some very good comprehensive schools out there. They are probably the most common of schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending