state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thekillersrock)
While private schools are obviously going to give you academic advantages, I think comprehensives/state schools prepare you for life a whole lot better.
State schools probably prepare people better for a certain way of life. Not everyone in Britain has the same lifestyle, and not everyone has the same education.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
i think that's a bit harsh. They're not the 'worst' schools you can go to as there are some very good comprehensive schools out there. They are probably the most common of schools.
I know, I'm not saying they are the worst schools- just that they're not seen to be as good as grammars or private schools in the eyes of most people, which is why unis are apparently more leninet with you if you're from a comprehensive.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
That really shouldn't be allowed :mad: Don't you think it's incredibly unfair that someone who's had all the benefits of private education for most of their life can just switch to a state school at the last minute and possibly get an offer because of it?
Actually, it's not possible to do this without being found out - when I applied for UCAS, you need to show your last 3 schools or something, so they know where you've been. Especially so for Oxbridge - they ask you where you have studied since yr 7.
As I moved state to private, i didn't have anything to "hide" as it were. If it were the other way round, they would know that you had been privately educated and for how long... so it doesn't work!
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Went to a private school for 2 years when I was age 5-6 then dropped out to a state school cos my parents couldn't afford the fees. The difference was astounding. At age 5 I was being taught algebra and modelling in maths, and some basic scientific experiments. The minute I went into the state school they were teaching me how to count to 100. Discuss.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes jamie, i found the differences a bit much when i moved (but i did it the other way - state -> private). suddenly i was thrown into doing wierd number things in chemistry which everyone else could do and i hadn't the faintest. i went from being pretty much top 5 in every subject to being in bottom set for everything :s: i suppose it put everything in perspective and made me realise I'm working for me, not against everyone else.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads