state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
Damn. Any idea where I can apply to such a school?
A grammar school? Most areas don't have them anymore. I just happen to live in an area (Bucks) where there's still quite a lot around
annabellewalter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Usually because a lot of private schools used to be grammar schools so they keep their name.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends if your area has the 11+ still. Some grammer schools will allow late entry to year 8 onwards through their own exams and interviews, thats how I got into mine!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
northern ireland...but you'll pay for it. they aint free here. no state education is except for the very worst performing schools.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
A grammar school? Most areas don't have them anymore. I just happen to live in an area (Bucks) where there's still quite a lot around
Ah... I'll just stick with pretending to be active in Catholicism, that's got me into a LOT of good schools.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
Im at a state school. But, Im not a drunk, criminal or general lout. Infact, Ive learned the values of hard work and how I have to work to get things. This will be vital for Uni etc.

Don't know if P/S pupils find this.
I think to do well, most people have to work hard, despite their school. I do no work now Im in state ed and i worked sooo hard at a private school. Again it depends on the individuals work ethic. And Sam if you want to go to a better state school then try going to a church school. They drop thie religious admissions criteria at sixth form usually.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah... I'll just stick with pretending to be active in Catholicism, that's got me into a LOT of good schools.
Lol, you do that. TBH, Grammar schools are nothing special. At least mine isn't. You'll get just as good grades by going to a good comprehensive. In fact, I know that a lot of comprehensive schools are a hell of a lot better than my one (the 7th worst Grammar in the country! )
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
Im at a state school. But, Im not a drunk, criminal or general lout. Infact, Ive learned the values of hard work and how I have to work to get things. This will be vital for Uni etc.
True, going to a state school dos let you meet a wider variety of people when you're young. I don't think it can be healthy to only be around other intelligent people, it promotes a sense of elitism. Then again - maybe being intelligent and/or well off at a school where not everyone is is worse? I don't know.
swishmasta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
man i never understand this, private school kids always think they superior but when they see us, they all scatter or just go silent when we walk past em.

the funny thing however is how private skool kids do more drugs than state skool kids lol
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Lol, you do that. TBH, Grammar schools are nothing special. At least mine isn't. You'll get just as good grades by going to a good comprehensive. In fact, I know that a lot of comprehensive schools are a hell of a lot better than my one (the 7th worst Grammar in the country! )
Try and get into Borlase!
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabellewalter)
And Sam if you want to go to a better state school then try going to a church school. They drop thie religious admissions criteria at sixth form usually.
Was that aimed at me?
I only have another 9 weeks left at school so there's not much point in moving now!
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I find in state....teahcers teach down. In private, teachers teach up. So it depends whether you are up ....or down.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Try and get into Borlase!
Sir William Borlase? My mum wanted me to go there for sixth form. In the end I just stayed put though!
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Sir William Borlase? My mum wanted me to go there for sixth form. In the end I just stayed put though!
One of the best schools in the area, as long as you can bear the irritating obnoxious kids that go there! My mum tried to get me in there too but they wouldnt take me as i was badly behaved!
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This whole thread is destined to get confused because if we are honest 'state school kids' and 'private school kids' are not different camps drawn with a clear line are they? It's so dependant on the school its almost impossible to generalise. And pretty fruitless.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
One of the best schools in the area, as long as you can bear the irritating obnoxious kids that go there!
I've never met anyone from there so I wouldn't know. It's definately not like that at my school though! Most people come from the Slough/Britwell area!
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This whole thread is destined to get confused because if we are honest 'state school kids' and 'private school kids' are not different camps drawn with a clear line are they? It's so dependant on the school its almost impossible to generalise. And pretty fruitless.
Very true. At the end of the day, your school doesn't determine who you are. When you go to uni you'll mix with loads of different people from a wide range of backgrounds anyway. No-one is better than anyone else because of what school they went to
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I've never met anyone from there so I wouldn't know. It's definately not like that at my school though! Most people come from the Slough/Britwell area!
Unfortunatly a lot of kids from families that are very well off and not a lot of time for there kids go there so they thing they're very cool smoking a lot of drugs and getting caught drinking and yet wouldnt dare start on any of the Great Marlow lot
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep. Parents in the catchment area of a really bad state school might understandably send their kids to a fairly low-end private school... but that school might be nowhere near as good as the best state schools. My parents would probab;y have sent me to a private school if I hadn't been in the area of a great state school.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The lesson kids? Everywhere you go in life there will be drop-outs .....and everywhere there will be someone who thinks they are better than you.....and somebody who genuinely is better than you....and somebody who is prepared to judge you solely on your background.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads