state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Unfortunatly a lot of kids from families that are very well off and not a lot of time for there kids go there so they thing they're very cool smoking a lot of drugs and getting caught drinking and yet wouldnt dare start on any of the Great Marlow lot
Lol. Just out of interest, how come you know so much when you live in liverpool? :confused:
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Lol. Just out of interest, how come you know so much when you live in liverpool? :confused:
I used to live in marlow and went to Wycombe High school. Moved to Liverpool to go to uni and settled here.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I used to live in marlow and went to Wycombe High school. Moved to Liverpool to go to uni and settled here.
Cool You used to live near me then! Well, near enough.
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Very true. At the end of the day, your school doesn't determine who you are.
I'm not sure that's exactly true... like I've mentioned there are some truly -shocking- schools, and I have absolutely no doubt that some very intelligent kids have slipped through the net and failed all of their exams in such schools. People who might have done very, very well in a better school.

Basically, I don't think the best private schools are any better than the best state schools, but the WORST private schools are nowhere near as bad as the worst state ones.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Indeedaroo!
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabellewalter)
The lesson kids? Everywhere you go in life there will be drop-outs .....and everywhere there will be someone who thinks they are better than you.....and somebody who genuinely is better than you....and somebody who is prepared to judge you solely on your background.
And the moral:

Carry MACE
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And many of the very best private schools benefit their pupils academically, but bollox them up emotionally, socially etc
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
I'm not sure that's exactly true... like I've mentioned there are some truly -shocking- schools, and I have absolutely no doubt that some very intelligent kids have slipped through the net and failed all of their exams in such schools. People who might have done very, very well in a better school.

Basically, I don't think the best private schools are any better than the best state schools, but the WORST private schools are nowhere near as bad as the worst state ones.
But just because you went to a bad school, it doesnt define you as a person. You may not be as fortunate as some people when it comes to opportunities, but that doesnt make you any less of a person
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
But just because you went to a bad school, it doesnt define you as a person. You may not be as fortunate as some people when it comes to opportunities, but that doesnt make you any less of a person
It can, though. Someone who could easily have been a success could fail miserably. It doesn't make that person LESS of a person - but it does define who they are, their personality, what others think of them and what they think of themselves.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
bollox them up
And in single-sex schools - this is literal .
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
And in single-sex schools - this is literal .
:laugh: :laugh:
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ooooh one more post till 1000 toysoldier
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ooooh one more post till 1000 toysoldier

1000! Party! Joy! Woooo!

I wanted to make a thread, but it seems to be frowned upon... so I'm just going to celebrate here and make some obscure reference to schools.

Some schools suck, some don't. People from SOME schools get to have 1000 posts on TSR, whilst others only get... less than that. I myself have 1000 posts, but I don't let it go to my head. :eek:
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Comments like this from 'swishmasta'

man i never understand this, private school kids always think they superior but when they see us, they all scatter or just go silent when we walk past em.

the funny thing however is how private skool kids do more drugs than state skool kids lol

That just demonstrates what I mean. This attitude that some state school people are brought up with: 'they all scatter....when we walk past em', it just seems that some state school students think they need to act 'bad' and that they are 'tougher' than private school kids. I even find the screenname 'swishmasta' amusing.
Obviously there are state schools who aren't like this, but a whole lot get influenced by this attitude problem etc.

Whereas going to private school in my opinion gives you some certainity and confidence.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
State school in no way messed up my life. Those who completely p*ss away their life and get a record aren't just a product of their school - they're usually a product of their whole social circumstances (including where they live, their parents, their friends, etc).

However, since getting to uni, I have realised how much I missed out on not going to private school - much which I wasn't aware of before I came here. For example, I assumed class sizes of 20-25 for a-level were normal. Apparantly not in private schools. My neighbour had class sizes of 6! Then there's things like training of Oxbridge interviews, greater academic environment, more extra-curricular activites like debating, etc.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
one day i will be roughly three times the person you are now.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
where on the wirral are you?
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
However, since getting to uni, I have realised how much I missed out on not going to private school - much which I wasn't aware of before I came here. For example, I assumed class sizes of 20-25 for a-level were normal. Apparantly not in private schools. My neighbour had class sizes of 6! Then there's things like training of Oxbridge interviews, greater academic environment, more extra-curricular activites like debating, etc.
I know what you mean. Sometimes I do feel jealous of all these private school people who had the best facilities and best teachers possible. 6 people in a class :eek:. But I do think that there's benefits of state schools too
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
That just demonstrates what I mean. This attitude that some state school people are brought up with: 'they all scatter....when we walk past em', it just seems that some state school students think they need to act 'bad' and that they are 'tougher' than private school kids. I even find the screenname 'swishmasta' amusing.
Obviously there are state schools who aren't like this, but a whole lot get influenced by this attitude problem etc.

Whereas going to private school in my opinion gives you some certainity and confidence.
That, my friend, is snobbery. Are you really that blind? A lot of people from PRIVATE SCHOOLS end up like this. Feeling superior. "Certainty and confidence"? Give me a break. Basically, what you're saying is that SOME people from SOME state schools can be *****. Well you can take this as a fact - so are some from private schools. The conclusion? "Some people are *****". What a revelation. You clearly do think you're better than others, and people pick up on that, and THAT'S why they react to it.

I mean, I find the screen-name LondonBoy a bit on the limp-wristed side, but I wasn't going to mention it. because it doesn't particularly matter :rolleyes:
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A state school also gives you better life experience e.g. how to cope with people from all walks of life. It would be certainly an eye opener from someone from P/S to come to my 6th year common room and see all the female neds drinking, making flamethrowers and spraying shaving foam everywhere (why?!). And thats only the common room...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.06%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.12%
Yes but I might change my mind (38)
16.81%

Watched Threads