state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I know what you mean. Sometimes I do feel jealous of all these private school people who had the best facilities and best teachers possible. 6 people in a class :eek:. But I do think that there's benefits of state schools too
But to say it once again - there were 6 in my Advanced Computing class, and 4 in my Advanced English. And that was a state school.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
That, my friend, is snobbery. Are you really that blind? A lot of people from PRIVATE SCHOOLS end up like this. Feeling superior. "Certainty and confidence"? Give me a break. Basically, what you're saying is that SOME people from SOME state schools can be *****. Well you can take this as a fact - so are some from private schools. The conclusion? "Some people are *****". What a revelation. You clearly do think you're better than others, and people pick up on that, and THAT'S why they react to it.

I mean, I find the screen-name LondonBoy a bit on the limp-wristed side, but I wasn't going to mention it. because it doesn't particularly matter :rolleyes:
its on both sides
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But to say it once again - there were 6 in my Advanced Computing class, and 4 in my Advanced English. And that was a state school.
I have about 20 in all of mine. Although my AS history class had 12 (mainly because no-one wanted to do the subject!)
annabellewalter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It could easily be said that private school kids have twice as much attitude as state school kids.Again returning to the fact that it is soo dependant on the school/person. I don't know anyone who feels the need to act 'hard' around private school kids, but I've known private school kids who sneer at state school kids. And not becuase they are bad people but because both sides are uneducated and stubborn a lot of the time. Many may call me a cynic but each side seems to think they are superior for one reason or another. As for private school kids doing morre drugs than state school kids and vice versa it all comes down to the fact that different people do different amounts of drugs for different reasons. It is unfair to accuse somebody of an 'attitude problem' because of their parents decision like 10 years ago.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
1. There is nothing snobbish about saying private schooling gives you confidence, look at extremes such as eaton/harrow which produces very confident boys, and as already mentioned on this board there are loads of debating societies etc which build up on this.

2. What the hell is limpwristed about my screenname, toyboy? I live in london, and i am boy hmmm.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
A state school also gives you better life experience e.g. how to cope with people from all walks of life. It would be certainly an eye opener from someone from P/S to come to my 6th year common room and see all the female neds drinking, making flamethrowers and spraying shaving foam everywhere (why?!). And thats only the common room...
Yeah... life skills like how to talk down a Ned, stuff like that. If you're used to it, and know how to banter, you can talk yourself out of getting mugged... defuse 'tensions' outside clubs, things like that. I've had to step in quite a few times for people who were privately educated and just can't handle situations like that. All it takes is showing a little respect.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Theres only me and a chick in my AH Bus Man class.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
2. What the hell is limpwristed about my screenname, toyboy? I live in london, and i am boy hmmm.
Was your mentioning someone elses name not the same thing? I was just trying to teach you something.
footballhead
Rep:
?
About the drugs: the most common drug during the teenage years in britain, is cannabis by far, and there are groups in both private and state schools who take them.
When you look at other drugs such as cocaine, i cant speak for state schools, but at private schools there are very small groups in higher age groups which do take it, but the only reason that i would say private school kids are more likely to take it, is because of the higher cost of the drug, and not many private school kids can afford to pay 40 odd pounds for a gram of coke.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heh, cheers to whoever neg repped me and didn't want to leave a name or decent reason :rolleyes:
footballhead
Rep:
?
Yeah... life skills like how to talk down a Ned, stuff like that. If you're used to it, and know how to banter, you can talk yourself out of getting mugged... defuse 'tensions' outside clubs, things like that. I've had to step in quite a few times for people who were privately educated and just can't handle situations like that. All it takes is showing a little respect.
But mate thats the whole point....
very rarely will you find private school kids attempting to mugg other people, it is the state school kids who do that, you are just proving my point about state school influence.

And confidence isnt just about a brawl outside a nightclub, but at social event, a job interview etc.

A quick example, my school hosted the one of the ESU debates, and there was a clear distinction between state and private school kids, the state school canidates were extremely rude, did not know how to address the chair properly etc,
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'There is nothing snobbish about saying private schooling gives you confidence, look at extremes such as eaton/harrow which produces very confident boys, and as already mentioned on this board there are loads of debating societies etc which build up on this. '

hahahahaha. no debating society on earth can give you true self confidence.....knowing who you truly are has **** all to do with schooling. Places like Eton and Harrow often breed boys into things rather than letting then find there own way in life. Its good thing not to be told how special you are everyday and supported so far that you can't see your own arse. I've been in debating comps with eton boys and kicked their ass because i dont talk the same amount of bull as them.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1. There is nothing snobbish about saying private schooling gives you confidence, look at extremes such as eaton/harrow which produces very confident boys, and as already mentioned on this board there are loads of debating societies etc which build up on this.

There were chances to do such things in my state school. I entered a public speaking competition, I had the option to take 2-3 extra gcses.
And state school can give you a lot of confidence. Where I was you needed a certain amount of confidence to get you through the day. A lot of my teachers were happy to help me sort things out. Arrange entertainment nights etc.
footballhead
Rep:
?
Its good thing not to be told how special you are everyday and supported so far that you can't see your own arse.

Thats quite an ignorant comment
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But mate thats the whole point....
very rarely will you find private school kids attempting to mugg other people, it is the state school kids who do that, you are just proving my point about state school influence.

And confidence isnt just about a brawl outside a nightclub, but at social event, a job interview etc.

A quick example, my school hosted the one of the ESU debates, and there was a clear distinction between state and private school kids, the state school canidates were extremely rude, did not know how to address the chair properly etc,
You really don't have a clue about anything. How can you just generalise like that? You don't know what you're talking about, you really don't.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And I've been to ESU debates and turned up wearing jeans when everyone else is in suits because my teacher didint explain these things to me, and you know what? I was still confident in my abilty to argue the pants off boys who thought they could confuse me with long words. State school applicants may not be able to address their chair but then again they were never taught, but they knwo how to get off their ass, arrange a debabting society, teach themselves and do something for themselves whether teachers support them or not.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabellewalter)

hahahahaha. no debating society on earth can give you true self confidence.....knowing who you truly are has **** all to do with schooling.

It gives you what I call "faux confidence" - it's a type of confidence that freaks me out. When using it, peoples voices are... different, and somewhat strange. I agree with you - truly knowing yourself and what you believe in is what gives you the ability to express yourself and articulate your thoughts, not the 'forced confidence' gained from practice.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Your an ******** London boy.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well said
footballhead
Rep:
?
You clown, if you want to make a point, argue or defend your views, dont resort to insults!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads