Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sam you too with your brilliant comment

You really don't have a clue about anything. How can you just generalise like that? You don't know what you're talking about, you really don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    You clown, if you want to make a point, argue or defend your views, dont resort to insults!
    I would argue with you, but you clearly have set views that you arent open-minded enough to change. Plus I'm tired and want to go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I would argue with you, but you clearly have set views that you arent open-minded enough to change. Plus I'm tired and want to go to bed.
    Assume what you will.

ReputationRep:
    Its good thing not to be told how special you are everyday and supported so far that you can't see your own arse.
    You only think its ignorant because you have no idea what its like in a state school. If you genuinely want to understand and get along with the majority of the population I'm afraid you are going to have to learn from other peoples experiences. One day, hopefully, your cushion will be removed and you'll realise you are in no position to brandish words like 'ignorant'

ReputationRep:
    Assume what you will.
    Are you going to uni next year? If so, which one?

ReputationRep:
    You clown, if you want to make a point, argue or defend your views, dont resort to insults!
    Well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I would argue with you, but you clearly have set views that you arent open-minded enough to change.
    That's true enough LondonBoy... debating is about taking in and considering the opinions of others. You seem to doggedly believe that being privately educated automatically equates to superiority, and you're not looking like changing that opinion. The debate has broken down to the point where mindless insults seem quite apt.

Loser :p:

ReputationRep:
    Surely you are insulting him as well by saying "You clown".
    And as for Sams comment I think it that was valid, can you please explain how you can make these generalisations?
    Have you visited a proportionate number of each of the schools, and taken into consideration their rating individually?

ReputationRep:
    I dont need to make a point. I can see you think you are above myself because you went to a Private School. Why?

Because you get more confidence? GTF. More confidance comes from dealing with the little s...bags and being able to speak to them to avoid getting your head kicked in. If you seen them, you'd look right down your nose at them and subsequently get smacked one.

I know a lot of really decent people from Private Schools - really down to Earth, decent good folk. Then you get the "Im above you" sort like you.

ReputationRep:
    I just figured out you call private schools public schools and public schools private schools. Why?

ReputationRep:
    this isnt really going anywhere...

theres suspicion on both sides about each other...but its logical that on the whole if you go private you're likely to do better because your parents pay through the teeth for the best teachers, small classes, good facilities etc etc

its general i know, and not universal, but generally it is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I just figured out you call private schools public schools and public schools private schools. Why?
    Some people call private schools 'public schools' (I have no idea why - I just call them private schools, there's less confusion that way!), but we don't call public schools 'private schools', we just call them state schools normally

ReputationRep:
    seems to be a strange mainland UK phenomenon

here in northern ireland you have the state schools and the private schools.

none of this public tosh, when they clearly arent "public" in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)

theres suspicion on both sides about each other...but its logical that on the whole if you go private you're likely to do better because your parents pay through the teeth for the best teachers, small classes, good facilities etc etc

Not really. I went to a really bad state school, falling to bits literally. I was taught in a 40 Geography SG class but still got a 1/1. For Highers, I got AAAAB which is much higher than a lot of Private school children.

ReputationRep:
    Neh... that confuses me too much - a Public School is private, and a school for the general public with no fees is a state school. Not a Public School. So I think we've been sticking to "private" for fee-paying schools and "state" for non fee-paying.

ReputationRep:

lol, luvin the 'generally'.

I was going to write something related to this thread but I'm half dead so I'm gonna go sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushu)
    I'm half dead so I'm gonna go sleep.
    Same. Night people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Are you going to uni next year? If so, which one?
    The year after, and hopefully either oxford, bristol, or LSE.

The uni thing is a total different case: i am very much in favour of quotes for state school kids etc, because since september of the lower sixth we've been having extra oxbridge classes have guest speakers every week, for every subject, etc etc, and if a kid at a very bad school manages to get half the grades or do half the stuff we do , then he deserves it more.

ReputationRep:
    its logical that on the whole if you go private you're likely to do better because your parents pay through the teeth for the best teachers, small classes, good facilities etc etc

Actually, the truth is that for properly intelligent people it doesn't matter - they'll get the grades they get regardless. What does matter is the "grey area" between clever and... err... searching for political correctness here... err... "less-clever" people. At a private school those people will probably get more help, and achieve better grades than they would have otherwise. That's where the difference is. Mostly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Not really. I went to a really bad state school, falling to bits literally. I was taught in a 40 Geography SG class but still got a 1/1. For Highers, I got AAAAB which is much higher than a lot of Private school children.
    null point. like i'd said it was universal. in your case it mattered little.

my assertion was that proportionally and over the whole, private education will outperform state, because it has more resources at its disposal.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.