state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
annabellewalter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The one thing i learnt from my oxbridge experience? If your not good enough you dont get a place. End of.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What makes you think that the best teachers are in private schools?
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
The year after, and hopefully either oxford, bristol, or LSE.

The uni thing is a total different case: i am very much in favour of quotes for state school kids etc, because since september of the lower sixth we've been having extra oxbridge classes have guest speakers every week, for every subject, etc etc, and if a kid at a very bad school manages to get half the grades or do half the stuff we do , then he deserves it more.
We are normal people you know.

Also, you will find that the state school kid will more often or not get better grades than most private school people: he/she will work hard to get it...
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
Actually, the truth is that for properly intelligent people it doesn't matter - they'll get the grades they get regardless. What does matter is the "grey area" between clever and... err... searching for political correctness here... err... "less-clever" people. At a private school those people will probably get more help, and achieve better grades than they would have otherwise. That's where the difference is. Mostly.
intelligence has no effect on your ability to pass an exam. they arent measuring intelligence in any way.
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
What makes you think that the best teachers are in private schools?
"Best" maybe not, "higher qualifications" yes. Simply because the pay is better. That said, I don't think being a good teacher is necessarily about having the best qualifications.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
null point. like i'd said it was universal. in your case it mattered little.

my assertion was that proportionally and over the whole, private education will outperform state, because it has more resources at its disposal.
Maybe resources but not teahcers. An old Bus Man teacher told mean that she went to a Private School but wanted to become a teacher because the level of teaching she got at her school was shocking.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
intelligence has no effect on your ability to pass an exam. they arent measuring intelligence in any way.
Not entirely - but it does have SOME effect. They're not measuring intelligence, but intelligence has everything to do with being able to take in and process information, and hence make learning something and passing an exam in the subject easier. Or is my definition of "intelligence" wrong?
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
meh it has been proven that state schoolers do better at university, on average, than a privateer (hehe) with the same A Level grades...Private schools are good at making mediocre students improve themselves above and beyond, and they will reach their limits much more quickly...Or that's the impression I get...However, if you're clever, you're clever...
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not entirely - but it does have SOME effect. They're not measuring intelligence, but intelligence has everything to do with being able to take in and process information, and hence make learning something and passing an exam in the subject easier. Or is my definition of "intelligence" wrong?
i think basic good memory and intellect are more important in an exam.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's poopoo, of course the exams we take measure intelligence, they just aren't able to differentiate that intelligence very well, hence the abundance of A grades...
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
meh it has been proven that state schoolers do better at university, on average, than a privateer (hehe) with the same A Level grades...Private schools are good at making mediocre students improve themselves above and beyond, and they will reach their limits much more quickly...Or that's the impression I get...However, if you're clever, you're clever...
Yeah, that's what I said (sort of) earlier. There are... *ahem*... "less intelligent" kids who get a lot of extra help keeping up and passing their exams (or less PC, dragged up by the nostrils) at a private school, whereas without that help they might not have done so well. They'll obviously have more trouble at University where they're going to be less individual time for them.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's poopoo, of course the exams we take measure intelligence, they just aren't able to differentiate that intelligence very well, hence the abundance of A grades...
you could be the most intelligent man to ever live, doesnt necessarily mean you'll ever be able to count.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
We are normal people you know.

Also, you will find that the state school kid will more often or not get better grades than most private school people: he/she will work hard to get it...
Look at the league tables, private schools are miles ahead.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think basic good memory and intellect are more important in an exam.
True, a lot of the examination process big memory test. It SHOULDN'T be, but it is. That said, a (non-PC alert, again) ****** is going to have a lot more trouble with the whole process than a genius.

[edit] Oh... heh... it's blocked. It began with re and ended in tard. I was fed up typing "people of lesser intelligence". And now I've typed a whole load more. Blah.
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
Look at the league tables, private schools are miles ahead.
For what 6000, 7000, 8000 grand a year?

You should be ahead if you paying that much for education.
footballhead
Rep:
?
Yeah, that's what I said (sort of) earlier. There are... *ahem*... "less intelligent" kids who get a lot of extra help keeping up and passing their exams (or less PC, dragged up by the nostrils) at a private school, whereas without that help they might not have done so well. They'll obviously have more trouble at University where they're going to be less individual time for them.

You can stereotype against Private school kids, by saying you will do better because we are spoonfed and therefore dont think for ourselves, whereas if i say in general private schools are more confident than state school kids im being a snob
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you could be the most intelligent man to ever live, doesnt necessarily mean you'll ever be able to count.

So? :rolleyes:
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
True, a lot of the examination process big memory test. It SHOULDN'T be, but it is. That said, a (non-PC alert, again) ****** is going to have a lot more trouble with the whole process than a genius.
i have an above average IQ (although IQ isnt bulletproof) yet i only have 6 GCSEs. im sure theres people on here with 10 A's and all the certificates under the sun with lower than average IQ. at the same time there could be someone with a 200 IQ who failed all their exams.

does that make them intelligent or not depending? i dont think so.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes they may be more confident at say academia, but i think the general point was that genuine 'confidence' has nothing to do with schooling
footballhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
For what 6000, 7000, 8000 grand a year?

You should be ahead if you paying that much for education.
I dont understand what you're trying to say,

So state school kids get better grades than private school kids

But....

You imply that you agree that private schools are higher in league tables - which show academic performance in public exams - therefore do better than state school kids.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads