state school messing up your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
Read it again, because that's not what I said at all. I was using persons A B and C as hypothetical individuals - not generalisations. It is true - true truuue - that a person person in a state school achieving BBB MIGHT have achieved better with more help. You at least have to conceed that, because it's very very basic logic.
yes of course, that is why i am very much for promoting state school quotos at oxbridge etc and giving prefernce to state school kids with equal grades to those at private schools etc

but thats the whole point of this thread: if you read the first post it isnt a state school bashing arguement
Toy Soldier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
WTF? Private school pupils have less motivation to work because they are spoon fed everything. Where as State pupils aren't.
You're being just as bad as he is now. Do you have any experience of private education to back this up? And it's a generalisation - I'm sure private schools differ as widely as state schools do, and not all of them "spoon feed" their pupils.
footballhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
WTF? Private school pupils have less motivation to work because they are spoon fed everything. Where as State pupils aren't.
im just going to use some of your tactics

mate just shutup now i dont care anymore i need to catch some sleep good luck with your education i wish you the best

just one question before i go, and answer it honestly,

circumstances permitting, would you send your own children to private school ?
Davie_Moyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll argue this later. Im off to bed.

You really are quite stuck up. The way you talk down to everyone must make you feel really good.

Ive worked all my life to get to Uni. My parents arent rich, I live in a 3 bedroom Semi and I'll continute to work hard at Uni and beyond. If I could become an Accountant and earn the potential 100k, I doubt Id send my kids to a private school. I wouldnt want them to not learn the values of hard work.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Going back to my original point. round and round in circles, like the teddy bear, one step, two step...
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
but thats the whole point of this thread: if you read the first post it isnt a state school bashing arguement
Uhh... no your first post isn't... but... umm

Ive also realised, i have nothing in common or nothing to say to state school people, i find myself being patronising, both academically and socially I have nothing in common with them
Your second one kinda is. Maybe it's just the way you worded it.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by annabellewalter)
Going back to my original point. round and round in circles, like the teddy bear, one step, two step...
...Ticklie under there? :eek: you ho'! Filth, filth on TSR!! :p:
footballhead
Rep:
?
Before i go, i have to write an article about schooling for the school newspaper, id be grateful if you one you (state school) would read it and give me your views lol.

Night
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LondonBoy)
Today I met with friends from my primary school, which was a state school, not a very good one either. Out of around 24 kids i was the only one who went on to a private secondary school, my parents sacrificied alot at the time.

Anyways from my old school mates, today i saw/heard that 4 or 5 had been chucked out of their state schools, dropped out of school after gcses. 2 have criminal records and have just come out of 'Feltham Young Offenders' none of them had done well in their gcses etc

Its really made me think, would I have turned out like this if i had not gone to private school.
before i recieve a herd of neg reps, this isnt an attack on state schools, but something i was thinking about.
I went to state school all my life in Milton Keynes which doesn't have much of a reputation as a provider of good education, and now I go to an Oxbridge college. People will either make it or they won't, to blame it on their school is a cop-out. People who are dedicated will succeed and those who are slackers and easily lead will not.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'll read it if u want, seeing as ive been to both types of schools it might be useful.

ps. i love tsr filth, were you present during the morris dancing?
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dedication's what you need, yeah baby YEAH!!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'd like to add, education isnt about exams. a point missed by most it would seem, even though ive said it time and again, and you're better off listening to me
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ps. i love tsr filth, were you present during the morris dancing?
Morris Dancing? Filth? I'm not sure I want to know... those two words in the same sentence almost destroyed my entire system of morals.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i'd like to add, education isnt about exams. a point missed by most it would seem, even though ive said it time and again, and you're better off listening to me
But it is! It shouldn't be, but it is. If you don't do the exam well, you don't get to prrogress with your education. It sucks, but it's true. This is summed up by my old Psych teacher: "Understand it? You don't need to understand it! Just LEARN it!"

Whatever you do AFTER school is about educating yourself - whether that be studying at Uni, learning a trade, whatever. School is just about getting there.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Morris Dancing? Filth? I'm not sure I want to know... those two words in the same sentence almost destroyed my entire system of morals.
Nah dude, i got pos repped for my morris dancing *reaches for bells again* which is a miracle as i am a neg rep magnet!
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nah dude, i got pos repped for my morris dancing *reaches for bells again* which is a miracle as i am a neg rep magnet!
Don't talk to me about rep. I got negative rep in this thread and it stole my third gem *grumble*. Now I'm at 199 points, how irritating, lol. 194, 195 I could have handled. But 199!?!? It's just mocking me.
annabellewalter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had my 2nd gem stolen a few days ago. I'd rep you due to your star performance on this thread but ive already repped today
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had my 2nd gem stolen a few days ago. I'd rep you due to your star performance on this thread but ive already repped today
This thread exhausted me. I haven't tried to argue a serious point for over a year (since I became a drop-out, heheh). *dead*
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But it is! It shouldn't be, but it is. If you don't do the exam well, you don't get to prrogress with your education. It sucks, but it's true. This is summed up by my old Psych teacher: "Understand it? You don't need to understand it! Just LEARN it!"

Whatever you do AFTER school is about educating yourself - whether that be studying at Uni, learning a trade, whatever. School is just about getting there.
not always true...you can learn much from a library, or the internet, or go to the open university. they dont have entrance requirements on the whole AFAIK. they let my dad do his social science degree with his couple of "o-levels"
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't talk to me about rep. I got negative rep in this thread and it stole my third gem *grumble*. Now I'm at 199 points, how irritating, lol. 194, 195 I could have handled. But 199!?!? It's just mocking me.
i have your points times 4.93 :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (59)
67.05%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.36%

Watched Threads