Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    reinforce the skills you develop in core mathematics, because I Am finding that I am using very little algebraric minipulation and so I am worried that I will forget some core mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    reinforce the skills you develop in core mathematics, because I Am finding that I am using very little algebraric minipulation and so I am worried that I will forget some core mathematics.
    Yes, i never really had a problem as i seemed to get plenty of practice in maths but mechanics or any other mathsy type thing helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    Yes. Especially once you get beyond M1, and you have to use your previously acquired skills in differentiation and integration.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    you have to use your previously acquired skills in differentiation and integration.

Aitch
    ....or not - I'm doing M3 and finding it hard as we've only just started P3 and havent covered all of the neccessary int / diff yet - stupid school timetabling system....but I love mechanics =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. Although on M1 there is no calculus involved there is only very basic algebraic manipulation which gets "harder" as you progress to higher Mechanics modules. On M2 there is VERY basic calculus such as INT[x dx]. The module of Mechanics which perhaps JUST starts to test you on your module of Pure Mathematics is Mechanics 3; as all of the laws of calculus and trigonometry that are taught to you from P1-P3/ C1-C4 need to be constantly recalled. Do not separate Mathematics into different modules, Mathematics is Mathematics. What I recommend by seeing your previous posts is that you get "CORE MATHS" and "Mechanics" by L. Bostock and C. Chandler. First of all I KNOW these are the best text-books out there for the Mathematics A-Level and if you are teaching yourself the syllabus I think it would be much better if you learn the pure modules in a way such that you cover all of algebra first, then trigonometry, then calculus. Try to do a little bit of Pure then a little bit of Mechanics in the same day. For Mechanics, teach yourself all of the Kinematics first, and then whatever is left. I think the style of the text-books is really easy to understand and helpful.

Newton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newton)
    What I recommend by seeing your previous posts is that you get "CORE MATHS" and "Mechanics" by L. Bostock and C. Chandler. First of all I KNOW these are the best text-books out there for the Mathematics A-Level and if you are teaching yourself the syllabus I think it would be much better if you learn the pure modules in a way such that you cover all of algebra first, then trigonometry, then calculus. Try to do a little bit of Pure then a little bit of Mechanics in the same day. For Mechanics, teach yourself all of the Kinematics first, and then whatever is left. I think the style of the text-books is really easy to understand and helpful.

Newton.
    It is ironic that you mention that I should read "Core Maths" by L Bostock and C Chandler, because I have a copy of that. My brother who did Maths years back used to study from this text book, so thats how I have got it. I need to ask you a question, the book is immensely fat , how am I supposed to get through this text book as well as the others in 4 months - and where should I start from, because I have done C1 & C2 already. Thank you for your advice

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2005

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.