(Irish) How do you pronounce 'Magherafelt'?

Watch
Agneisse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The town in County Londonderry. Merriam-Webster says "Mara-felt", another site says "Mackerafelt". Help?
chester.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Agneisse)
The town in County Londonderry. Merriam-Webster says "Mara-felt", another site says "Mackerafelt". Help?
Pronounced exactly as it's written. :yep:
Non- irish people tend to have a little difficulty making the 'gh' into a phlegmy throaty sound. :p:
Magh-er-a-felt....yep, that's how we say it.
Agneisse
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by chester.)
Pronounced exactly as it's written. :yep:
Non- irish people tend to have a little difficulty making the 'gh' into a phlegmy throaty sound. :p:
Magh-er-a-felt....yep, that's how we say it.
Thanks very much, have some rep I think in my presentation (a Seamus Heaney poem) tomorrow I'll try my best magically conjuring phelgm in my throat while saying the 'gh' of 'Magherafelt' and then quote "A Northern Irish person on the Internet said so" when anyone questions my pronunciation
super_trooper
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
im pretty sure that its ma-her-a-felt its the only way i`ve ever heard it said lol
Sandy Garbiso
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, my father's family was from just outside Magherafelt and that's all I ever heard, Ma-her-a-felt. I miss County Londonderry and all the wonderful people there - used to go over from England every summer to spend time at my grandmother's farm in the 50's and early 60's.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sandy Garbiso)
Yes, my father's family was from just outside Magherafelt and that's all I ever heard, Ma-her-a-felt. I miss County Londonderry and all the wonderful people there - used to go over from England every summer to spend time at my grandmother's farm in the 50's and early 60's.
How. HOW did you find this thread.
Sandy Garbiso
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
How. HOW did you find this thread.
I live in the USA now - I was talking about Northern Ireland and how much I still love it - telling my son-in-law about the area and he had trouble with the name Magherafelt. Looked it up to check what the official version was and came upon this thread. Haven't been there in many, many years, but have wonderful memories of the land and the people.
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pronounce gh like gh in lough
And don’t over-pronounce it, like don’t draw out the word to long.
It shouldn’t really sound “magh-er-a-felt” but more like “magh-ra-felt” when you say it quickly.
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, as above: gh sort of like gh in lough. A tiny bit phlegm but in a really subtle way.
And please, for the life of us all, don’t pronounce the er like ear. Pronounce it like err.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (244)
39.17%
Take autumn exams (186)
29.86%
Look for a job (21)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (24)
3.85%
Take a year out (110)
17.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
6.1%

Watched Threads