Personal statements: print or handwrite?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Nothing to do with my personal situation here, just somthing I wondered and hadn't seen on the forum before.

Is it better to print your personal statement on to the UCAS form, or handwrite it? and why?

I'm really wondering from the point of the application tutors what looks better - Which did people do?

Cheers

Tom
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm afraid I don't know which is best but I'd say printed because it's easier to read. I printed mine. It's just easier all round really, to read, and there's less chance of making mistakes.

As long as your handwriting is clear I don't suppose it makes much difference and they certainly wouldnt think "he didnt word process it therefore he is ****". But I guess for certain courses... like .. say you wanted to do something computery, maybe it would look like you didn't know how to use word or something!!
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Nothing to do with my personal situation here, just somthing I wondered and hadn't seen on the forum before.

Is it better to print your personal statement on to the UCAS form, or handwrite it? and why?

I'm really wondering from the point of the application tutors what looks better - Which did people do?

Cheers

Tom
i applied online, but i would say printed out. mainly cos my writting is awfull
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i applied online, but i would say printed out. mainly cos my writting is awfull
And cos if you hand writt you cant spell check it? I live in exeter! My mum works at the uni! Do you like it?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
And cos if you hand writt you cant spell check it? I live in exeter! My mum works at the uni! Do you like it?
its great, unis great, people great, nights great!

where does your mum work??
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
its great, unis great, people great, nights great!

where does your mum work??

In the library she's a library... umm.. person.. thing. Heh. Do you really like the nightlife? I'm sick of it & can't wait to get out! There are only so many nights you can spend at timepiece! It would be a lot better if there were some nice bars that had late licenses.

What are you doing at exeter? Do you live in halls there? Wow, you are unbelievably close to me! I live near the uni!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
In the library she's a library... umm.. person.. thing. Heh. Do you really like the nightlife? I'm sick of it & can't wait to get out! There are only so many nights you can spend at timepiece! It would be a lot better if there were some nice bars that had late licenses.

What are you doing at exeter? Do you live in halls there? Wow, you are unbelievably close to me! I live near the uni!
im in duryard halls. i study engineering.

i dont often go into the libary cos the engineering have our own. but ive prob seen ure mum some time!

i went to arena the yesterday, pretty good, i like warehouse, going to timepiece or volts 2nite.

the imperial is a fav aswell! also we have our own bar here at duryard thats good
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
im in duryard halls. i study engineering.

i dont often go into the libary cos the engineering have our own. but ive prob seen ure mum some time!

i went to arena the yesterday, pretty good, i like warehouse, going to timepiece or volts 2nite.

the imperial is a fav aswell! also we have our own bar here at duryard thats good
My dad used to run the engineering library!! That was years ago now though. Small world. I don't really like the clubs in Exeter hence a lot of applications to london next year! Hehe. Well have a good night!
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I would say printed personal statements are better because you can fit considerably more on, especially if you have big handwriting.

I think almost everyone printed it at my school, if not absolutely everyone. And many schools apply online which means that they are of course typewritten anyway.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I printed mine. I have tiny illegible handwriting so it was the best choice.

The UCAS guide says to use size 12 font but my actual handwriting is about half that size and I had a LOT to say, so I used size 10. Looked fine when it was reduced down to A5 size. And they accepted and processed it all fine.

I wasted three sticky sheets trying to get it printed properly though. Damn smudgy inkjets.

a.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It depends what degree course you're applying for.

If it's an English, History or any art subject, a handwritten statement would be better. If you're applying for Computing, Maths, Science, or you have bad handwriting, a printed one would be better.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
our school forced us to print it.

love katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i applied online, so it was set to 12 point font default. On the oxford form, i spent about a billion years lining up the form and the paragraphs on the page so i could print it to make it look neater!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I applied by computer (using the software, not online), which required a typed PS. I typed it in Word, copied and pasted it into the form. At least the software allows you to print the form, as if a proper UCAS form. Looked really good it did. Given the quality of my handwriting I'm glad I typed it!
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I thought everyone has to do it online nowadays. personaly, I prefer to read a hand written one. That way I can just chuck it into the bin if I can't read the hand writing, save time....(Although my hand writing looks completely rubbish....Right, I'll bin myself first....)
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I thought everyone has to do it online nowadays. personaly, I prefer to read a hand written one. That way I can just chuck it into the bin if I can't read the hand writing, save time....(Although my hand writing looks completely rubbish....Right, I'll bin myself first....)
You do that...
Heeheehee just playing!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (551)
50.5%
No (540)
49.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed