What's the most extreme weather you've ever experienced? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Inspired by Tecknik's "Weather" thread!

The most extreme weather I've ever experienced is a tornado, that was in Yorkshire in 1996. Such a menacing-looking thing!! There was a blizzard a year ago in my town too - I heard a really loud noise like a Chinook helicopter, looked out of the window and saw the sky thick with snow, swirling around! So very like something out of Charles Dickens!

What about you?
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Major sandstorms:eek: The wind was strong enough to turn a few cars over and knock down plenty of trees. The visibility was shocking AND it was rather warm...

This obviously wasn't in the UK.

I've also been in a cyclone in India, with a few feet of flooding and damaged trees/houses too. :hmpf:
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been in quite a scary rainstorm before. Only reason rain became scary was because I was quite far into a Turkish gorge at the time and the guide man was trying to get us all out 'cause there was a risk of sudden flash flooding. :eek:

Part from that, I suppose the Hurricane of '88 (?! or was it later?) - but I was only 3 at the time so spent the time making a witch's hat with my mum whilst tiles and trees and stuff flew about outside lol
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
er... a bad thunderstorm

I guess Ive just been lucky :cool:

p.s. 100 POSTS !!!!
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was on my way down to South France in the car just outside Paris, we hit the awful storm when the rain and hailstones were so hard that we had to stop the car....we couldn't see more than a metre or two in front of the car, and the thunder and lightning was terrible. The scary thing was we were with another family in another car and they were following us. When this happened we did not know where the other car was and mobiles weren't working cause the masts were obviously damaged!
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The big storm in 87/88 sometime. Though I was a baby and slept right through it.
Intense heatwave abroad somewhere, 40-50 degrees (C) VERY hot. Nearly passed out with that because I wasn't drinking enough.
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the most extreme weather i've ever experienced was a really strong typhoon in Tokyo...and since i forgot to close my balcony doors in my room i woke up in the middle of the night because my whole bed was wet from the rain comming inside through the window
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hurricane Bob, in the US 1995 I think. Pretty scary, we had to keep moving rooms so that if the huge oak tree in the garden fell it wouldn't crush our part of the house! :eek:
Played rummikub (sp) for about 6 hours during that :rolleyes:
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In northern italy 2 years ago - major hailstorm. It totally destroyed cars, crops, even some buildings!! Luckily our hotel was quite strong. :eek: Scary, though!!
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
Hurricane Bob, in the US 1995 I think. Pretty scary, we had to keep moving rooms so that if the huge oak tree in the garden fell it wouldn't crush our part of the house! :eek:
Played rummikub (sp) for about 6 hours during that :rolleyes:
Good ol' Rummikub!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
104 degree heat. Extreeeeeeeeeeeeme!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've plaved cricket outdoors in 56degC before. NOT a pleasant experience.
RealityIsDull
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tornado in Canada...
we all had to spend the day in the basement!
ok the people we stayed with had a gym and a huge tv down there but still!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ummm thunder and lightning? :frown:
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
44 degree heat
(does that count? everybody's talking about cold, rain, wind, etc...)
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
the extremly high winds a afew weeks. also extreme heat in florida a few years ago. i hate hot weather
Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The hurricane in 86 i was only 6 or 7 months old though :p:
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)

The most extreme weather I've ever experienced is a tornado, that was in Yorkshire in 1996.
I can't remember that!! :eek:
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adhsur)
I can't remember that!! :eek:
It wasn't a major one, though it looked pretty enormous (didn't touch down though). Lots of torrential rain at the time, too. I think it was in the Wenslydale (sp?!) region....
KandyKane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)

The most extreme weather I've ever experienced is a tornado, that was in Yorkshire in 1996. Such a menacing-looking thing!! There was a blizzard a year ago in my town too - I heard a really loud noise like a Chinook helicopter, looked out of the window and saw the sky thick with snow, swirling around! So very like something out of Charles Dickens!

What about you?

Waiting for a bus in the cold of -35 C.

Snowstorm two years ago that cut off the electricity because trees had fallen onto the lines.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
10.53%
They might tell the bully (3)
15.79%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
15.79%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
31.58%
There's nothing they could do (5)
26.32%

Watched Threads