The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Overall you need to get 80x6 = 480UMS from a potential 600.

For one module:
Potential 100 UMS
A boundary: 80 UMS
B boundary: 70 UMS
C boundary: 60 UMS
D boundary: 50 UMS
E boundary: 40 UMS
Reply 2
Gaz031
Overall you need to get 80x6 = 480UMS from a potential 600.

For one module:
Potential 100 UMS
A boundary: 80 UMS
B boundary: 70 UMS
C boundary: 60 UMS
D boundary: 50 UMS
E boundary: 40 UMS

6 As lol!
Reply 3
Nima
You need 480 / 600. You don't need 6 A's. Infact, you could get 1 A out of 6 modules and still get an A.

How is that possible, if the UMS is 80 for an A and 80 x 6 = 480 is an A then what other way can you get an A? Thanks.
Reply 4
DOJO
How is that possible, if the UMS is 80 for an A and 80 x 6 = 480 is an A then what other way can you get an A? Thanks.

Get 100% in one of the modules, then you will only need 76 UMS (B's) in the other 5 modules.

In the end you only need 480. Whether you get 6 80's, or 5 79's and 85 in one, or whatever combination you get, if all six add up to 480 then you'll get an A.

If you don't understand this then it's very unlikely you'll get an A in Mathematics.

Galois.
Reply 5
Galois

If you don't understand this then it's very unlikely you'll get an A in Mathematics.

Galois.

Thank you for patronising me. Anyway, yes well come on lets be realistic here, I very much doubt I will get 100% in a module. Unless of course I manage my time properly in the exam, and the paper is a good one to the point that my working is absolutely accurate!!!!!! Which is why I looked at it via a much more realistic angle (I am referring to Gaz)....
Reply 6
DOJO
Thank you for patronising me. Anyway, yes well come on lets be realistic here, I very much doubt I will get 100% in a module. Unless of course I manage my time properly in the exam, and the paper is a good one to the point that my working is absolutely accurate!!!!!! Which is why I looked at it via a much more realistic angle (I am referring to Gaz)....

If you think you might get 2 C's in your modules, then you must get at least 86 UMS in the remaining four modules (provided you get 68+UMS in the other two). To be safe, get anything higher than 90 UMS in the four papers then you can be in comfort for getting C's in the other two and still get an A overall.

Galois.
Reply 7
Nima
Well so what about 100/100, isn't it kinda obvious that if you get some marks over the A boundary in certain modules, then this acts as a cushion incase you get B's in some other modules? In all fairness, I don't think Galois was patronising you.

I am doing maths in 1 year as a private cadidate , and I am pretty certain that I will get 4 As as I know my stuff...I am however uncertain if I will get 100/100 on any module because I just haven't got enough time in a year to develop the neccessary exam technique to get 100/100 because I am learning mathematical conceps in twice the speed then most people. In exams time management is a problem of mine...
Reply 8
DOJO
I am doing maths in 1 year as a private cadidate , and I am pretty certain that I will get 4 As as I know my stuff...I am however uncertain if I will get 100/100 on any module because I just haven't got enough time in a year to develop the neccessary exam technique to get 100/100 because I am learning mathematical conceps in twice the speed then most people. In exams time management is a problem of mine...

For the third time, you do not need to get 100/100 in any module to get an A overall.
Reply 9
the new syllabus is v.easy

i think i will get
C1 - 100 UMS
C2 - 100 UMS
S1 - 90 UMS
M1 - 72 UMS
C3 - 75 UMS
C4 - 60 UMS

= 497 UMS = A

Where as with old syllabus i think i would of got a C

Even if i mess up a lil in s1 or c3 i can still get an A. I need a B.

All you have to do is buy the heinnamen book, complete it then go and do solomon papers = high grade :thrasher:

Most ppl will get 100 ums in c1, so you got some slack left for rest of the modules. You can get AAAACC & stil get an A
Reply 10
Galois
If you think you might get 2 C's in your modules, then you must get at least 86 UMS in the remaining four modules (provided you get 68+UMS in the other two). To be safe, get anything higher than 90 UMS in the four papers then you can be in comfort for getting C's in the other two and still get an A overall.

Galois.

I am not sure what grades I will get for c3 and c4, as I have not come round to doing those modules yet , so I am speculating. But thank you I will bare that in mind :smile:
Reply 11
nas7232
the new syllabus is v.easy

i think i will get
C1 - 100 UMS
C2 - 100 UMS
S1 - 90 UMS
M1 - 72 UMS
C3 - 75 UMS
C4 - 60 UMS

= 497 UMS = A

Where as with old syllabus i think i would of got a C

Even if i mess up a lil in s1 or c3 i can still get an A. I need a B.

All you have to do is buy the heinnamen book, complete it then go and do solomon papers = high grade :thrasher:

Most ppl will get 100 ums in c1, so you got some slack left for rest of the modules. You can get AAAACC & stil get an A

Do you think the June C1 paper will be harder then the January one?
Reply 12
Yeah i rekon it will be. That c1 paper was way too easy in january. I will tkae it again cause i messed up on the discriminate question. But im certain i got rest of the paper right ~ 95%-71/75 i doubt that will give me 100UMS.

I thinkt here will be some slightly harder geometry & differentiation questions. Hope c2 isnt much harder, im prone to mistakes on the g.p questions. Partial fractions in c4 is piss easy, its the damn vectors thats gonna mess me up.
Reply 13
nas7232
Yeah i rekon it will be. That c1 paper was way too easy in january. I will tkae it again cause i messed up on the discriminate question. But im certain i got rest of the paper right ~ 95%-71/75 i doubt that will give me 100UMS.

I thinkt here will be some slightly harder geometry & differentiation questions. Hope c2 isnt much harder, im prone to mistakes on the g.p questions. Partial fractions in c4 is piss easy, its the damn vectors thats gonna mess me up.

I think C2 will be easier in June, it was a tricky paper in January. C1 was ok, it was that silly integration question where I made a stupid mistake by spending far too long on it :frown:
Reply 14
I made loads of mistakes too, but cause i always rush through my papers quickly i had enough time to go back and sort my answers out.
Reply 15
nas7232
I made loads of mistakes too, but cause i always rush through my papers quickly i had enough time to go back and sort my answers out.

Yeah, that is what I should have done. I am so annoyed that I spent 15 mins on the integration question , because that was such an easy paper to get an A in :frown: oh well i guess there is always june
Reply 16
You don't necessarily need to get 100% in the paper to get 100 UMS. They tweak the raw marks to give UMS and i believe if you're above a certain mark you will get 100 UMS, so it isn't really as difficult as it may seem.
DOJO
6 As lol!

may god bless u !

for all of u guys, this fellow has been working til 12midnight doing maths!!

anyway. it depends on the board u write for, but generally u need 80% of the total marks for an A. eg if the Alevel is out of 600 u need 480 marks total by adding all the modules up.

i got AAAABD and came out with a B overall. so your AAAACC should be fine. post your module marks on here and we can work out the minimums u need for the rest of the modules to get an A overall
Reply 18
magiccarpet
may god bless u !

for all of u guys, this fellow has been working til 12midnight doing maths!!

anyway. it depends on the board u write for, but generally u need 80% of the total marks for an A. eg if the Alevel is out of 600 u need 480 marks total by adding all the modules up.

i got AAAABD and came out with a B overall. so your AAAACC should be fine. post your module marks on here and we can work out the minimums u need for the rest of the modules to get an A overall

Thank you :smile: I hope all this late night maths pays off, because I would so love to goto Edinburgh University, as the atmosphere (social life, academically) is great!
DOJO
Thank you :smile: I hope all this late night maths pays off, because I would so love to goto Edinburgh University, as the atmosphere (social life, academically) is great!

i dont think there'll be alot of competition to go there to do maths. even essex uni's AAA/AAB offers for Law were reduced to CCD/UUEs. they probably dont need you to get exactly that standard on results day. to drop behind a bit should still be ok although dont aim to do it. also, if u mess up, you can ask to be considered for another course at the same uni, eg physics or engineering or HND maths

Latest