This discussion is closed.
DOJO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)
i dont think there'll be alot of competition to go there to do maths. even essex uni's AAA/AAB offers for Law were reduced to CCD/UUEs. they probably dont need you to get exactly that standard on results day. to drop behind a bit should still be ok although dont aim to do it. also, if u mess up, you can ask to be considered for another course at the same uni, eg physics or engineering or HND maths
I have heard that computer science is not the hardest department to get into, but still I am a bit worried that if I miss it by 1 grade I will get rejected because Edinburgh is the best uni in scotland for comp sci - and besides I deserve at least a B minimum in mahts for my hardwork
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
I have heard that computer science is not the hardest department to get into, but still I am a bit worried that if I miss it by 1 grade I will get rejected because Edinburgh is the best uni in scotland for comp sci - and besides I deserve at least a B minimum in mahts for my hardwork
damn true!if it helps, my mate needed BBC for computer games engineering or something at Hull and got DEE but was accepted.but im guessing u cant have that many modules left of maths, prob only 2 in the summer so u can prob work ou t the grades u need to get in those modules as a minimum to get an A, or B. if u got all A's in the other modules u prob can get 2 D's and still come out with an A
DOJO
Rep:
?
damn true!if it helps, my mate needed BBC for computer games engineering or something at Hull and got DEE but was accepted.but im guessing u cant have that many modules left of maths, prob only 2 in the summer so u can prob work ou t the grades u need to get in those modules as a minimum to get an A, or B. if u got all A's in the other modules u prob can get 2 D's and still come out with an A
I am taking all 6 maths modules in the summer. I took 2 in Jan, but they didn't go too well because for the first one I managed my time poorly. I was spending far too long on a question in C1, because I kept using deferentiation to check my answer for the integration question, which buggered me up because I ran out of time. Only answered 8 an a half questions out of 10 before I ran out of time :mad:

C2 was a joke, the exam was not hard, (I did a past paper the night before and got an A) it was just getting to the exam center for the exam in the morning. I missed a bus , because the stupid bus driver didn't open the door, even after I knocked on it - so I had to wait like 15 minutes for another bus. By the time I got to the exam center and everything I was late by 10 minutes....It got worst when I found that my pencil case wasnt in my bag, and so after arsing around for a good 30 minutes the moderator gave me a pen , calculator. I only managed to answer 4 questions, because writing binomial expansion accurately can be long. Plus my mind was everywhere as you can imagine. 45 minutes to do a C2 exam , hmmm awful!

I may just do what Naz does in future, go through all the questions quickly and then come back to them to correct any small mistakes.
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
I am taking all 6 maths modules in the summer. I took 2 in Jan, but they didn't go too well because for the first one I managed my time poorly. I was spending far too long on a question in C1, because I kept using deferentiation to check my answer for the integration question, which buggered me up because I ran out of time. Only answered 8 an a half questions out of 10 before I ran out of time :mad:

C2 was a joke, the exam was not hard, (I did a past paper the night before and got an A) it was just getting to the exam center for the exam in the morning. I missed a bus , because the stupid bus driver didn't open the door, even after I knocked on it - so I had to wait like 15 minutes for another bus. By the time I got to the exam center and everything I was late by 10 minutes....It got worst when I found that my pencil case wasnt in my bag, and so after arsing around for a good 30 minutes the examiner gave me a pen , calculator. I only managed to answer 4 questions, because writing binomial expansion accurately can be long. Plus my mind was everywhere as you can imagine. 45 minutes to do a C2 exam , hmmm awful!

I may just do what Naz does in future, go through all the questions quickly and then come back to them to correct any small mistakes.
i think it helps doing the AS modules with the A2's. i resat Pure 1 with Pure 2 and 3 and found it took me half an hour. What naz said is what i did in P3 but it didnt work. if u go thrugh the q' s quickly u cant do them properly. go throgh and make rough pencil notes of formulae and methods in the first 5 mins. do the paper then check in the last 5 mins.

I did Pure 12and3, Decision and Discrete (Algoritms/Logic) 1, Statistics 1 and 2. My Mechanics is from AL Physics
what is C1 and C2?

although i wish u all the best, i gotta tell u from now 6 modules all in the same subject aint easy. do ALL of the past papers every day every night and every day and night.its alot of work and if u have a bad day u can mess up completely. start hardcore revisiohn from now!!!
DOJO
Rep:
?
i think it helps doing the AS modules with the A2's. i resat Pure 1 with Pure 2 and 3 and found it took me half an hour. What naz said is what i did in P3 but it didnt work. if u go thrugh the q' s quickly u cant do them properly. go throgh and make rough pencil notes of formulae and methods in the first 5 mins. do the paper then check in the last 5 mins.

I did Pure 12and3, Decision and Discrete (Algoritms/Logic) 1, Statistics 1 and 2. My Mechanics is from AL Physics
what is C1 and C2?

although i wish u all the best, i gotta tell u from now 6 modules all in the same subject aint easy. do ALL of the past papers every day every night and every day and night.its alot of work and if u have a bad day u can mess up completely. start hardcore revisiohn from now!!!
C1, C2 are the new maths modules.

I agree it will be a hard, but the great thing about my situation is that in this year, all I got to do is maths maths maths - I don't really have the pressure of any other subject. I just hope that the earlier papers will become very easy once I get the harder modules done, if that happens, the only thing that will stop me from getting that A is well the bus driver and time management.

I always use those Soloman papers to help me prepare for the exam - and so far I have found that the exams are much easier then them.
flyinghorse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
I am doing maths in 1 year as a private cadidate , and I am pretty certain that I will get 4 As as I know my stuff...I am however uncertain if I will get 100/100 on any module because I just haven't got enough time in a year to develop the neccessary exam technique to get 100/100 because I am learning mathematical conceps in twice the speed then most people. In exams time management is a problem of mine...
Don't a lot of people do A-level maths in one year though? People who do double maths A-levels get an A-level after the first year, right?
Try doing P4 before you've done P3 and are halfway through P2 - now that's a *****... [realises P modules don't exist anymore, but really doesn't care :p: ]

Anyway, sorry if this sounds *****y, just wanted to have my say...

Best of luck with your A-levels
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
c1 & c2 you can rush through and go back and well in ~ near 100%

This technique dont work in physics, media studies, pyschology by the way.

I messed my exams up doing it like that, but for maths its the best method imo for people who cant finish the exam in enough time. After all the last question tends to have most the marks with it.
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by flyinghorse)
Don't a lot of people do A-level maths in one year though? People who do double maths A-levels get an A-level after the first year, right?
Try doing P4 before you've done P3 and are halfway through P2 - now that's a *****... [realises P modules don't exist anymore, but really doesn't care :p: ]

Anyway, sorry if this sounds *****y, just wanted to have my say...

Best of luck with your A-levels
No, not where I come from , inner state London. It is unheard off, maybe in rich schools you find kids doing F maths, Double Maths and god knows (as my old 6th form couldn't afford the additional maths) what and even under those circumstances they will have top quality teaching, whereas I am having to self teach myself everything.
flyinghorse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
No, not where I come from , inner state London. It is unheard off, maybe in rich schools you find kids doing F maths, Double Maths and god knows what.
Sorry if I offended you. Obviously the answer to my question was no...

Just FYI I went to a voluntary aided/state-maintained school (with the least state-school name ever - [posh schoolboy accent]: St Thomas More Catholic College) and college where they don't even usually do further maths (and I would have had to do another year if they hadn't been kind enough to let me do AS further maths in my 2nd year), and at another college down the road, which was also a run of the mill non-"rich" college, there were plenty of people doing double maths.

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent for crying out loud, we've only just got the adding system on hire purchase!

Annoying about your college not letting you do any extra maths, though
DOJO
Rep:
?
Sorry if I offended you. Obviously the answer to my question was no...

Just FYI I went to a voluntary aided/state-maintained school and college where they don't even usually do further maths (and I would have had to do another year if they hadn't been kind enough to let me do AS further maths in my 2nd year), and at another college down the road, which was also a run of the mill non-"rich" college, there were plenty of people doing double maths.

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent for crying out loud!
No problem, understandable as it seems as though everyone here is doing double maths or 5 Alevels (by looking at their profiles), which is great. I only wish that inner-city state schools were much more academically better in terms of what they can provide to students, teaching wise and subject wise. My old 6th form was crap, we had ICT instead of computing with bad teachers in just about every subject. I have learnt much more about Maths this year then 16 years of state school schooling...bloody awful it is!
flyinghorse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
No problem, understandable as it seems as though everyone here is doing double maths or 5 Alevels (by looking at their profiles), which is great. I only wish that inner-city state schools were much more academically better in terms of what they can provide to students, teaching wise and subject wise. My old 6th form was crap, we had ICT instead of computing with bad teachers in just about every subject. I have learnt much more about Maths this year then 16 years of state school schooling...bloody awful it is!
It's just so unfair - I feel so lucky that my college gave me the opportunities that they did, but there are so many people who are clearly being held back by their college. Blair - "education education education" my arse (OK, that's unfair, someone else could be prime minister and the educational system would still be as big a mess as it is now).
DOJO
Rep:
?
It's just so unfair - I feel so lucky that my college gave me the opportunities that they did, but there are so many people who are clearly being held back by their college. Blair - "education education education" my arse (OK, that's unfair, someone else could be prime minister and the educational system would still be as big a mess as it is now).
Yeah tell me about it. The only reason why I ahve made so much pregression since September is because this year as well as learning stuff by myself , I am 3 hours every week guided and motivated to continue working hard by someone who teaches at Imperial College. Let me tell you one thing, I have since seen a massive difference in quality between state school teaching teachers and an individual who is a lecturer at a top university. Who said money cant buy good education

This individual has installed confidence into me, and now when I do equations I enjoy them. I enjoy Calculus, advanced algebra blah blah blah whereas in state schools they teach you to fear maths and if you ever asked them a question they would patronise you - which IS dangerous! as the harder maths requires your foundations to be strong,liek a building if theres something basic that is crap then it will collapse and yes you will fail.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We had ICT instead of computing with bad teachers in just about every subject.
Oh god! ICT is terrible. I know from experience. I'm glad i only have one more module to do.
It's pathetically easy compred to other A-Levels and most people doing it shouldn't even be in HE.
DOJO
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaz031)
Oh god! ICT is terrible. I know from experience. I'm glad i only have one more module to do.
It's pathetically easy compred to other A-Levels and most people doing it shouldn't even be in HE.
It is easy, but it is boring, very boring...You can easily do rubbish in the exams by not revising off that rubbish white text book by Heathcote before hand - because you *cannot* be bothered too - it is that boring.
viva
Report 14 years ago
does anyone have C2 soloman paper mark shemes??

I really need them to go over the question i have in preparation for me exam which is coming up in a few weeks(about 3-4 weeks to go)
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
You don't necessarily need to get 100% in the paper to get 100 UMS. They tweak the raw marks to give UMS and i believe if you're above a certain mark you will get 100 UMS, so it isn't really as difficult as it may seem.
Yeah, but this isn't like Edexcel biology where 50% seems to get you a B normally.

In edexcel maths the marks for P1, P2 an some of the applied modules where actually HIGHER than 80% to get an A so i'm not too sure if what you say is necessarily true what you say.
SunGod87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well sometimes the grade boundaries are lower. I've heard of P3 exams with 53/75 for 80 UMS

And for the Jan 2005 C1 paper I'd have been surprised if you didn't need 75/75 to get 100 UMS, loads of people must've gained it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads