bitter- entry and changing courses Watch

This discussion is closed.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
im yr 12, this is about 2 of my mates in yr 13 : one applied for less presitigous courses at unis like warwick nottingham bristol etc like social policy etc but the other applied for economics and maths etc at the same unis.

Person 1 got loads of offers BCD, BBB, etc, the other got like one,

now person 1 is saying that as soon as he gets to those unis, he will change to a better course like economics

is this possible?
and this really doesnt seem fair at all if it does, cause person 2 has worked well to get very good grades but doesnt get offers for subjects, while some tw*t gets crap grades applies for a crap course just to get into a good uni, and changes course.
powter
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
im interested in knowin 2, ive been wonderin this 4a while now.
would sound wrong/unfair 2 me neway.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Economics is so competitive that I doubt it would be possible, unless he/she achieves outstanding grades.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That is unfair, but I doubt it would be possible as a competitve course like economics is very likely to have filled all its places.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most people change to a similar course, and economics and social policy aren't really that similar. Plus economics usually requires maths A level, and is usually pretty full
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they won't let you change onto a course if they don't think you are capable of keeping up with the workload.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't think that would be fair, but i guess it depends what you get at A -level and whether there are any spaces for the course.
domjohn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That it very unfair- to repeat what has already been said before. furthermore, if person 1 is not allowed to change course they will be stuck doing a less prestigious degree than person 2, and even if person 1's degree is obtained from a marginally better university than person 2's, at the end of the day person 2 is going to have better job prospects. This of course presumes personality is not a deciding factor when job prospects are mentioned, however, in reality this is not the case! It is extremely risky of person 1 to do this... good luck to them (they're going to need it!)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads